Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:02:05 AM EDT
Hello to my MD brothers-in-arms. I have to make a trip to Upper Marlboro, MD next week and will be flying into BWI. What is the most cost-effective way of getting from the airport to Main Street, Upper Marlboro??? I am not too confident about renting a car and driving in a place I am not familiar with. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:15:57 AM EDT
If you are going to be here for more than a day, rent a car.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:38:37 AM EDT
Dang it..only gonna be there for a few hours!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:55:30 AM EDT
Taxi Cab.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT by zrxc77]

Originally Posted By 1badf350:
Taxi Cab.

Cost effective? No way. It has been probably 10 years since I took an airport cab from BWI, but even back then it cost about $35 for a 10-mile, one-way trip. I dread to think what that same fare would cost these days. And The4thHorseman is looking at a 30+ mile one-way trip (over 60 miles round-trip):

Google Route Map

Because The4thHorseman is going so far, I suspect that even a shared-ride shuttle van is going to cost way more than a car rental. This shuttle service lists a $65 one-way fare from BWI to Upper Marlboro:

Go Airports Shuttle Service

There is probably a better shuttle deal out there, but when Orbitz lists unlimited mileage econ-box car rentals at the BWI airport terminal for $28 a day (taxes and fees included) , I doubt there is any van/shuttle/taxi/ground transportation service that is more cost effective than renting a car, even if for just one day.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT
Horseman,

As far as driving there, it's a breeze, the worst part of the directions are for getting away from the airport, the rest is about two highways, I-97 & RT-301. Coming back is even easier because it's all marked "airport".

If the Orbitz car is that cheap ($28), that's pretty cost effective for a day's use . . .

Check your IM's.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:32:09 AM EDT
Thank you gentleman..rental car it is!!!
Top Top