Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:17:54 AM EDT
A friend of mine, from MD, is interested in getting into the shooting sports with a rifle, probably a regular 10/22. I've bought rifles out of state in CO before, but how will it work of a Maryland resident?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:53:06 AM EDT
Just have a local (MD) FFL receive the firearm for your friend. He should be able to find one near him.
Clayton Otto (Otto's Police Supply) is a good one, and probably the cheapest around at $30.00 for a regular long gun transfer like a 10/22.

Just my $.02; 10/22's are so commonly found, and relatively inexpensive (WalMart/Dick's/Sports Authority) that it would have to be a really special deal, or a really special rifle, to make it worth the transfer of funds, rifle shipping expense and the receiving FFL's fee . . .
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT
I should have been more clear--we're both in CO for college right now, and he'd be doing the transfer in person. For me, they can just run the background check because it is identical to what I would get in my home state. Would they do the same thing for him?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:08:24 PM EDT
I don't think its a problem. He has to buy from an FFL, no exceptions. He will fill out the 4473 with his MD address, FFL runs the check, and he gets his 10/22. I think that the law merely states that the laws of both states shall be complied with. As far as I know, neither MD nor CO has any restrictions on 10/22's above and beyond the federal requirements, so he should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:01:54 PM EDT
Depends on the store.I know of one that simply won't sell anything to MD residents (Or CA,NY,NJ,MA)even though they legally can.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:39:41 AM EDT
Well, we've figured out some things, but some are still unknown. CO has a requirement that buyers be from contiguous states. We can avoid this by driving to Cheyenne. Unfortunately, no one we've contacted yet will do the transfer. I see several mentions here of MD residents buying in PA or VA, but not in other states. Is there perhaps a Maryland law that requires MD residents to only buy in contiguous states?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:01:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kreutzberg:
Well, we've figured out some things, but some are still unknown. CO has a requirement that buyers be from contiguous states. We can avoid this by driving to Cheyenne. Unfortunately, no one we've contacted yet will do the transfer. I see several mentions here of MD residents buying in PA or VA, but not in other states. Is there perhaps a Maryland law that requires MD residents to only buy in contiguous states?

There is this:

Maryland Code
Public Safety
Title 5. Firearms
§ 5-204. Purchasers of rifles or shotguns.

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.

(b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

I do know Marylanders who have purchased long guns from dealers in non-adjacent states (and filled out federal and their states' paperwork), though.

Top Top