Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:27:33 PM EDT
Hello

I may be moving to MD in 6 months when I get back to the states. My wife will be going to Bethesda for an job interview next month. I am not looking forward to it because I have a CCW from Florida. My other concern is that I am on the list for the 2005 SEBR. I have ordered the no-ban but the configuration may be illegal, not sure. Also it is being shipped with a 30 rd. magazine. Are 20 rd. mags legal in MD? I am trying to talk my wife into living in VA. and commute to Bethesda. Is the traffic as bad as they say. Will it be ok to rent a storage locker in VA and keep the No-Ban locked up there even if I lived in MD?

Thanks

R.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT MOVE TO MD!!!!!!!!!!  I started a new jon in N. VA and as soon as I can find my wife something in the same area I am unassing MD so damn fast it isn't funny!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes the traffic is horrific. Move to VA, buy a big house and I will come live with you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Relax RFKP, your 2005 SEBR and 30 round mags are perfectly legal in Maryland. You can have all the no-ban guns and high-capacity mags you want here. The only caveat is that if the gun is regulated (all non-HBAR AR-15's) you must submit paperwork and wait the mandatory 7 day period out if you buy the gun here. However, if you already own the gun when you move here there's no paperwork or wait because you already own it. If you want a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds you must buy it out of state and bring it back in. Sale/transfer is illegal within the state but possession is legal, go figure...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
gun law 10 second summary in MD
forget CCW
rifles OK, some are regulated (buy like handguns)
handguns are hard to get due to internal lock/ballistic fingerprinting
if you own it before you get here it's kosher
no assault pistols
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Maryland is a Class 3/Title II friendly state.  All variants (MG, SBS, SBR, DD, Silencers, AOW) are legal to own and the MSP does sign.  As stated above, some semi auto variants considered pistols have been banned which are illegal to possess.

I own many high capacity magazines that I either owned pre-1994 ban or picked up at gun shows in PA or VA.  I have also ordered online and sent the items to out of state relatives who I go visit and return with my items (legal per the law).

Shotgun and rifle sales are not an issue, unless it is a USAS or Street Sweeper.

Pistol sales are a bit more restrictive due to the ineffective and useless "shell casing" database, which to my knowledge has never once been used to solve a crime.  You also have to go through a lame "saftey presentation" (only once, thankfully) to buy handguns along with a waiting period and a spent shell casing to the MSP.

The real pain here is there is a snowball chance in hell of getting a CCW permit.  You either have to document your rear off (a business owner carrying large sums of cash all the time) or a victim (!!!) of a prior violent crime - or be a private detective or security guard.  Otherwise - you have no state right to carry and defend yourself, family or property.  Run, do what they say, give up your wallet, wait for the local government to protect you and hope the felon with the illegal gun doesn't decide to kill you becuase you (not him) follow the law.

No wonder the freaking crime rate is up... criminals don't buy guns like we do and they know that 99.9999% of us working joes CANNOT legally be armed, so we are easy marks.  

Stupid as hell if you ask me.  Go see Florida for what real handgun defense should be.... along with a falling crime rate.  I blame this fully on the anti gun groups based in Baltimore and DC who lobby with hysteria, misinformation and lies.  A large minority population here eats that garbage up with a spoon.  

Isn't Washington DC enough proof that excessive restrictions on the honest people isn't effective?!?!?

Ok.. off my Anti-gun control/MD Liberal soap box now, but you get my point.  I follow the law and I cannot keep things balanced with thugs who don't.  It pisses me off to no end and the career politicos pander to anti-gunners here.

It is really a mixed bag of pros and cons.

Chris.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have lived in MD for a 8 years now and the traffic is horrible. I just started buying my guns a year or so ago and sometimes MD law does get annoying. 20 round mags are legal but hard to find in the Annapolis area. Virginia is probably your best bet but the washington and baltimore beltways are just plaine evil.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a possibility that I may be moving to MD late this summer.  I am currently in NJ and I have "Post Ban" ARs.  Once I bring them into MD can I turn them in to no bans?  Is there registration of handguns in MD or can I just bring in what I already own?

Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in A.A. County, nice area, prices of homes not that high, since they were made in the late 70's.  But I am deathly afraid about O'Malley or Doug Duncan becoming the next Gov!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
If you must move to MD, welcome but please do yourself a favor and avoid Montgomery County.  It's a major PITA finding a good (read: inexpensive and no membership required) place to shoot around here.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is a possibility that I may be moving to MD late this summer.  I am currently in NJ and I have "Post Ban" ARs.  Once I bring them into MD can I turn them in to no bans?  Is there registration of handguns in MD or can I just bring in what I already own?

Thanks

Matt

As you can see, most people are heavily cautioned about our silly soccer-mom firearms laws here, but, in your case, you'll enjoy a tiny bit more freedom bailing out of NJ.

1) Yes, you may add evil features to your EBR. Don't think you could ever take it back to NJ that way, as you'd know

2) No, there is no openly discussed or obvious "registration" rerquired, and you may bring your firearms, to include handguns, as per  vote-republican's "10 second" post above.

HOWEVER, new firearm sales, and any restricted firearm/handgun sale conducted in the state will become registered "de facto", since they'll run the serial number with your MSP application and they keep it all on file. New long gun sales are like anywhere else, and are "only" "de facto" federally registered as per the NICS system's integrity, or lack thereof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top