Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/29/2005 7:58:35 PM EDT
Would it be worthwhile to tack some information on Maryland firearms law? Questions about the law are common, and this hometown forum seems like a good place to summarize the information.

I'll start with regulated firearms and assault pistols:

TITLE 5. FIREARMS :
SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS :

§ 5-101. Definitions.

(p) Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
(ii) AK-47 in all forms;
(iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
(iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
(v) AR 180 type semi-auto;
(vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
(vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
(viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
(ix) Barrett light.50 cal. semi-auto;
(x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
(xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
(xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
(xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
(xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
(xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
(xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
(xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
(xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
(xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
(xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;
(xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
(xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;
(xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
(xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
(xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
(xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
(xxviii) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;
(xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
(xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
(xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
(xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
(xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
(xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
(xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
(xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
(xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
(xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
(xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
(xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;
(xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
(xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
(xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
(xliv) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or
(xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 441(a)-(j), (l)-(n), (r)-(w), 442(f)(1), (h)(2)(i)1-3, 443(e)(4)(iii)1-3, (j)(2)(i)-(iii), 445(b)(1)(i)-(iii), (3), (d)(1)(i)-(iii), (3); 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]

<All of the above are legal for purchase, but are subject to additional regulations regarding "assault firearms".>

TITLE 4. WEAPON CRIMES :
SUBTITLE 3. ASSAULT PISTOLS AND DETACHABLE MAGAZINES :

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;
(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;
(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;
(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;
(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;
(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;
(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;
(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;
(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;
(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;
(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;
(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or
(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-1; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

<As noted in the following, "assault pistols" are generally illegal in Maryland:>

§ 4-303. Assault pistols - Prohibited.

(a) In general.- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
(1) transport an assault pistol into the State; or
(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault pistol.

(b) Exception.- A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994 and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of the State Police before August 1, 1994 may continue to possess the assault pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-3; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

Even if a handgun is not specifically banned as an "assault pistol", it may still not be legal for sale/purchase. To be legal, the handgun must be listed in the "Approved Handgun Roster"
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT
krink, legal to purchase?
legal to own?
legan to build?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 2:16:52 PM EDT
A krink is a version of the AK47 which is regulated in all forms...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:07:26 AM EDT
Stupid law to begin with, but it still strikes me as really odd that one can buy a NFA FA Uzi and not a mere semi-auto one. I think the government was trying to tell people that only wussies own semi-auto copies of real subgun pistols.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:37:28 AM EDT
Good post, definitely worth tacking.

To head off at the pass some other FAQs:

A regulated firearm in MD, whether handgun or "assault weapon" is subject to a background check, 8 day wait, and 1 gun per month limit, and a $10 MSP (MD state police) fee. You can get around the 1 gun per month by becoming a collector, form available from MSP. No face-face of regulated firearms, you can go through a dealer or certain state police barracks. Buyer and seller and gun go to the barracks, leave the gun in the car, fill out forms inside.

No, you can't get a carry permit in MD unless you are someone special, have a death threat against you, or carry a lot of cash for business.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:03:54 AM EDT
Why can MD still ban firearms and high capacity mags that the Fed Govt now allows?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:28:23 AM EDT
Because its Maryland? lol....Thats the only reason I can think of.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:22:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 91stsps:
Why can MD still ban firearms and high capacity mags that the Fed Govt now allows?

Because the Supreme Court has never explicity applied the 2nd amendment to the states, and our buddy Joe Curran has issued an opinion that it doesn't apply, and the wording in our state constitution doesn't prohibit gun control.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:48:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 91stsps:

The same reason ANY state can and has (see CA, NJ, NY, MA, CT). Because Federal law sets the bottom level that you cannot go below, but states can make it worse.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:02:56 PM EDT
It sure would be nice if Gov E. would uphold his promises to we gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:54:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vote_republican:
Good post, definitely worth tacking.

To head off at the pass some other FAQs:

A regulated firearm in MD, whether handgun or "assault weapon" is subject to a background check, 8 day wait, and 1 gun per month limit, and a $10 MSP (MD state police) fee. You can get around the 1 gun per month by becoming a collector, form available from MSP. No face-face of regulated firearms, you can go through a dealer or certain state police barracks. Buyer and seller and gun go to the barracks, leave the gun in the car, fill out forms inside.

No, you can't get a carry permit in MD unless you are someone special, have a death threat against you, or carry a lot of cash for business.

And IF you carry alot of cash from your place of business,they'll limit your permit to bank runs.
Was told that if I was "caught" carrying at other times,I'd be charged with not only carrying,but also violating terms of my carry permit.Sounds like BS,since I never got to see it in writing.The owner of a neighboring business (strip mall) had his permit for 20+ years and retired.Decided to reopen another store,and reapplied.Was told he could only use it for bank runs as well.
Cap and ball,BP,revolver is good to go,as I understand it.
Plus,you can get away in the cloud of smoke.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:13:59 PM EDT
so, they are regulated, but not banned. right?
Because I was thinking about building an AK for my brother that lives in Maryland. Sounds like he will still need to go through the headache of the paper work though.
Hmmm, I wonder if it will be worth for him.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 12:28:04 PM EDT by jaynboom]

Originally Posted By blisster:
so, they are regulated, but not banned. right?
Because I was thinking about building an AK for my brother that lives in Maryland. Sounds like he will still need to go through the headache of the paper work though.
Hmmm, I wonder if it will be worth for him.

It's no more of a headache than buying a pistol in MD. (as long as it's not an SBR) It's exactly the same.

Roy
Top Top