Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 9:20:38 PM EDT
I've been looking at moving out to the DC area for some time now, and recently began job hunting. I decided to take a week vacation and stay w/ my buddy who lives in the Crofton area. He suggested I fly out w/ my 1911 and we would go shoot that and some of his new toys at the Maryland Small Arms Range, just South of of the city, near Andrews AFB. What a mistake. Since we had quite a bit of ammo to go through, and new toys to play w/ we ended up staying on the line for about 1 1/2-2hrs. There were tons of guys that didn't have the 1st clue how to handle themselves on a range, but most of all, the place ISN'T VENTALATED! We were breathing lead and gas for the whole time and it was nausiating.

Why would a range not vent away all that shit? It seems like quite a health hazard for anyone who shoots there regularly. I could see the cloud of smoke hang in front of me for a long time, which clued me into the lack of air flow.

The only comedy relief we had was this guy who had his gun turned "ghetto" style and popped off all his rounds with his head turned away and his eyes closed, as if it was gonna hurt him.

I don't think I'll visit that range if I move out that way. Hopefully there are more to choose from.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:06:56 AM EDT
There are more.

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/mdranges.msnw
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:39:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vote_republican:
There are more.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/mdranges.msnw

Made Hot (and thanks for the promo!).
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:12:01 PM EDT
If you are going to move to the DC area.

DO NOT MOVE TO DC SUBURBS OR THE STATE OF MARYLAND!

Move to VA and do yourself some good.
Texas style gun laws and a much better way of life than MD or DC can offer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:21:12 PM EDT
I can't believe that anyone with even a passing interest in guns would move to Maryland...

You want to live in this area VA is far and away nicer in other areas too (Rocket Docket for dispatching bad guy's, etc)
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:28:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
If you are going to move to the DC area.

DO NOT MOVE TO DC SUBURBS OR THE STATE OF MARYLAND!

Move to VA and do yourself some good.
Texas style gun laws and a much better way of life than MD or DC can offer.

Not too worried about gun laws, as I'd be a Fed at that point. Carry 24/7 in all 50 states would be required. My buddy that lives in Crofton LOVES the area, and I've have devoloped a liking for it as well. Sitting on Rt. 66 in Virginia, or having to deal w/ the 95/495 interchange are two things that I'll never do. I'm interested in Annapolis as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:15:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigJ491:

Not too worried about gun laws, as I'd be a Fed at that point. Carry 24/7 in all 50 states would be required. My buddy that lives in Crofton LOVES the area, and I've have devoloped a liking for it as well. Sitting on Rt. 66 in Virginia, or having to deal w/ the 95/495 interchange are two things that I'll never do. I'm interested in Annapolis as well.

Where are you working, or are you not allowed to say?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:58:02 AM EDT

Not too worried about gun laws, as I'd be a Fed at that point. Carry 24/7 in all 50 states would be required.

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em! Smart man.

My buddy that lives in Crofton LOVES the area, and I've have developed a liking for it as well. Sitting on Rt. 66 in Virginia, or having to deal w/ the 95/495 interchange are two things that I'll never do. I'm interested in Annapolis as well.

Crofton is in the direct path of the expansion of South-East Washington DC into MD. Bowie use to be a nice place to live. If you are LEO, you will be a busy man. I suggest intense hand-hand combat training and good body armor.

Of course, a friend is a Baltimore City drug/handgun officer and he loves it. If you are into that kind of stuff, you're moving to the right place.

--LS
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:57:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2003 8:58:00 AM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]

Tell you what I am in the same boat as you.

But you know what STILL keeps me from living in MD?

My family wont be able to properly protect themselves by being able to have a CHL or sensible gun laws that will give them the right tools to defend.

I know we are all different. But you live a year in MD and a year in VA you will see how much better life is outside of MD. Im not just talking gun laws.

*Im talking about what assholes live in this state.

*This statement does not reflect upon MD members on AR15.com or its viewers

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:24:32 PM EDT

Not too worried about gun laws, as I'd be a Fed at that point. Carry 24/7 in all 50 states would be required.

Uhh I'd still be a bit worried. There was an incident a year or two ago in Baltimore. Some local punk thought it would be a good idea to try to mug/carjack this one 'tourist'.

Turns out the Tourist was a Secret Service agent, who pulled his issued weapon and stopped the punk. Big brouhaha about the whole incident and if they were going to charge him.

THAT is the type of mentality & B.S. issues you'll have to deal with. Most of the County's are better but Baltimore City, P.G. County (Crofton), and Montgomery County are the most rabid anti-gun places in the state.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:17:34 PM EDT
Bowie is still a nice place to live (especially) compared to the rest of PG county. I don't quite see how Crofton is in the path of the SE DC expansion, it's stayed well inside the Beltway and mostly out 210. With the public housing project being put back into DC again we may see a reversal in the idiot trend heading out this way. The only problem in Bowie is the Town Center and I don't go the much.
From Crofton you would be far better of going to On Target. It's a much nice range even if they don't have the goodies that Md Small Arms has. If your Pro CHL get yer but over here, We need all the hand we can get!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:43:56 PM EDT
I lived in MD for 31 years...Now I don't! I grew up there and went to the U of MD. I like the area but the Gun laws are so REDICULOUS, I just could not take it any longer.

I lived in Bethesda and owning a gun there was Taboo! I would go shooting at On Target, up by Fort Meade off RT. 175. Not a bad place people there were cool lots of military folks would shoot there so it was not bad.

You should not have a problem finding a job there, however, the TRAFFIC is VERY VERY bad! I worked in Arlington, yup right across 395 from the Pentagon, in Pentagon City. It would take me 1+ hr a day to get to work and another 1+hr to get home - less then 20 miles each way-

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:48:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vote_republican:

Where are you working, or are you not allowed to say?

I'm in the process for the U.S. Capitol Police. I've got a few friends who live in the MD area, so I'm leaning towards that for living, as I don't want to have to drive to far to hang out and such. I'm sure my opinion of things will change after I live there for a couple years, but for right now, being single and all, MD Crofton area is what I'm looking at for bang for my buck.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 1:21:12 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
Well.

Dont say we didnt try and warn ya!

Also look in nice these areas:
Severn
Severna Park
Laurel
GreenBelt
Or Gaithersburg/Germantown.

Also. If you actually want to use your weapons on a daily basis try:
West Baltimore
Anything in the DC area that isnt the mall capitol area.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:07:44 PM EDT

Well.

Dont say we didnt try and warn ya!

Also look in nice these areas:
Severn
Severna Park
Laurel
GreenBelt
Or Gaithersburg/Germantown.

Also. If you actually want to use your weapons on a daily basis try:
West Baltimore
Anything in the DC area that isnt the mall capitol area.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I'm not going to be "using" my weapon much on the job. There are other reasons why I want to work for them. They have an extensive protection program, which is right in line w/ my career goals. I have no desire to be a uniformed officer for 20 years.

"Why would you want to work in a bank or something, when you could be connected to the history of The United States?" -can't remember where I read that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 10:38:51 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
No no!

When I said "using your weapons on a daily basis" I meant be defending your home. Not on the job.

I was just kidding if you moved to a bad area you would have to use your guns more. Thats all.

MD has some good qualities dont get me wrong. But maybe it takes living here to really know what the bad ones are and how much they effect your daily life.

In either case. We welcome you.

There are plenty of cool things to do in this state and everything is nearby.

Let me know when you come to town. I and/or we can all get together and talk more about the good things here and answer any questions you might have.

IM me if you would like my #. Just let me know if you need anything at all while your here looking for a house or anything in general.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:51:39 PM EDT
My advice, I moved here so my wife could finish her masters from Iowa. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! This place is a festering shithole and is only getting worse. My wife and I are fleeing as soon as her degree is finished. VA here we come. Sweet Lord some days I can hardly stand it. Please consider somewhere else. I'm sorry to be negative about a place you are probably moving too. If you do move I hope you come shooting with us. There are good people here like M4aimingatU.You'll meet em when you get here. Good folks with one common belief. That MD sucks. Sorry to rant and I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:45:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
My advice, I moved here so my wife could finish her masters from Iowa. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! This place is a festering shithole and is only getting worse. My wife and I are fleeing as soon as her degree is finished. VA here we come. Sweet Lord some days I can hardly stand it. Please consider somewhere else. I'm sorry to be negative about a place you are probably moving too. If you do move I hope you come shooting with us. There are good people here like M4aimingatU.You'll meet em when you get here. Good folks with one common belief. That MD sucks. Sorry to rant and I wish you the best of luck.

C'mon, tell us how you really feel

No no!

When I said "using your weapons on a daily basis" I meant be defending your home. Not on the job.

I was just kidding if you moved to a bad area you would have to use your guns more. Thats all.

MD has some good qualities dont get me wrong. But maybe it takes living here to really know what the bad ones are and how much they effect your daily life.

In either case. We welcome you.

There are plenty of cool things to do in this state and everything is nearby.

Let me know when you come to town. I and/or we can all get together and talk more about the good things here and answer any questions you might have.

IM me if you would like my #. Just let me know if you need anything at all while your here looking for a house or anything in general.

Oh, defending my house? I heard I might have to do that if I live in PG Country, as the Po Po there are substandard. I'm coming from Ohio, where we have no CCW, but purchasing firearms is easier. I decided I wanted a Glock 27 the other day while I was in the gunstore, and walked out w/ it 20 minutes later. That's what I'll miss about Ohio. On the other hand, the job market for my desired line of work is small to non-existant, so I'm kinda forced to relocate if I want to pursue my career aspirations.

Either way, I'm sure I'll find plenty to bitch about once I live there, but that's what makes learning a new area fun, right?

I'll definitely have to go shooting w/ you guys when/if I get out there. Just got a call today from the Capitol Police, and it looks like it's going to be a bit of a wait for the process. Oh well, I'm young!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:52:22 AM EDT
There are a few guys at my school who are in th Secret Service. They live in Annapolis. You might want to apply with them too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:47:42 PM EDT

There are a few guys at my school who are in th Secret Service. They live in Annapolis. You might want to apply with them too.

Tried. The agent that does polygraphs for my portion of the country is a jackass. We didn't get along, and I didn't get a call back. Kinda turned me off to the organization. Plus, their detail for the pres it too large. I'd rather work more closely with a principle. That, and their morale is at an all-time low.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:27:55 PM EDT
I would recommend Greenbelt unless you have a strong stomach for Flaming ultra enviro nazi liberals with a seperate-but-equal mentality, and a massive dose of white guilt to go with it. I just left there 3 month ago and am ever so glad I did. The townhomes in GHI are the most affordable thing you'll find around here in a decent neighborhood, but damn if you don't pay for it with most of your neighbors.

Have you tried MPD. Having recovered from the damage done during the Kelly administration they're the best local PD we got going right now. PG used to be good, but then politics got involved
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2003 6:05:25 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

Originally Posted By Forest:

Uhh I'd still be a bit worried. There was an incident a year or two ago in Baltimore. Some local punk thought it would be a good idea to try to mug/carjack this one 'tourist'.

Turns out the Tourist was a Secret Service agent, who pulled his issued weapon and stopped the punk. Big brouhaha about the whole incident and if they were going to charge him.

THAT is the type of mentality & B.S. issues you'll have to deal with. Most of the County's are better but Baltimore City, P.G. County (Crofton), and Montgomery County are the most rabid anti-gun places in the state.

Crofton is across the river in Anne Arundel county.

TRy Select Fire in Glen Burnie or Continental arms in Timonium.
Top Top