Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 10:36:59 AM EDT
Sunday August 31st 12pm noon @ Elk Neck State Forest Shooting Range in North East Maryland. A good amount of the VA ARFCOM members will be coming too, incase you want to meet them.

If you havent been to this range, its 100 yards and you can rapid fire and really have a good time here. No Range Officer with a power trip!
Hell, really there is no Range Officer at all.

Here is the infamous map to the range:
(Its a good idea to print this map and take it with you!)

Check in, and I will see you there!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
31 Aug, 12:00
I'll Be there

FWIW:  The range may be crowded on the weekend in the AM.  Lots of hunters getting ready to kill bambi.  Hard to predict but I've been going there for 8 or 9 years.

I'll check it out this Sunday and give a range report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
SUPRISE, SUPRISE, SUPRISE
I'll be there.
Now what do I want to being?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to add....
M4, I really love the map!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Forgot to add....
M4, I really love the map!

Ofcourse you do, It is "The best map in the world"

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
M4 et al,

I'm working on crashing your party and turning it into my own personal bachelor party.

As I though of this sort of last minute, I'm trying to see if everyone can make it.

The problem is, almost everyone except me are 1st timers. I don't mind babysitting them all, and have enough equipment to keep everyone busy, but (help) would be welcome. Seriously.

As I know this is imposing on your outing, PLEASE let me know if I should nix my idea and find some place local to go.

Potentially 10 or so 1st timers, btw.

I can cross post in the Virginia section and see if some of my local boys want to join in /help if that is cool.

--LS
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
longshot_va,

Its not oroblem I think with them coming. Just that the range is probably going to be very crowded and I dont think its possible for them to all have thier own lane.

OTH~ All the bolt action deer hunters guys usually leave once us tactical evil black rifles ppl show up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
longshot_va,

OTH~ All the bolt action deer hunters guys usually leave once us tactical evil black rifles ppl show up.

True.  Though we still might have to double up for a while.  Pray for rain.  The place will be empty.

I can bring a couple extra rifles for newbies.  It's always fun to get some newbies broken in the right way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
longshot_va,

I'll bring ny fold-up chair, I always seem to do more talking than shooting when we have ARFCOM shoots anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Technically what's the law reguarding bringing in 30 round mags in from VA to the shoot ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Technically what's the law reguarding bringing in 30 round mags in from VA to the shoot ?

100% legal. MD State Police even tell us MD'ers that if we want to get mags over 20rounds to just go to another state and buy them.

Also, Maryland is a CLASS III state. Full auto and suppressors are totally legal to own and shoot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this like the WV range just over the border - just wooden stands and a bulldozed backstop?  Used to go shooting there, and it was fun - no range masters, just polite shooters.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Not exactly.  There is never a range safety officer per se, but frequently there is state forest ranger "observing" the goings on.  Occasionally, the on duty ranger will walk around and ask for range permits.  I've been hit 3 times in the last 4 years.  (they've been requiring permits for about 6 years but I didn't buy one for the first couple of years)
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not exactly.  There is never a range safety officer per se, but frequently there is state forest ranger "observing" the goings on.  Occasionally, the on duty ranger will walk around and ask for range permits.  I've been hit 3 times in the last 4 years.  (they've been requiring permits for about 6 years but I didn't buy one for the first couple of years)

So do we need to get range permits, or do we just risk being asked to leave or what?  Feel free to IM me if you'd rather...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]

So do we need to get range permits, or do we just risk being asked to leave or what?  Feel free to IM me if you'd rather...

The policy at the range is:
Daily permit in the honor box $10
Yearly permit $50
Fine for not having permit $50
# of people that I know who have been fined - 0

I can't tell you whether you should buy a pass or not.  It does seem that the state forest rangers patrol more during the busy season just prior to hunting season.

I really hated the idea of paying a fee to shoot in a state forest range that my taxes actually pay for.  But at least I shoot often enough at the range that an annual pass was a good idea for me.

Actually Dave, I prefer the really informal ranges like the one in WV where you can shoot what you want and use what ever targets you fell like dragging in.  We used to have nice place in Port Deposit MD, but shortly after we started showing up in large #'s that got shut down.

BTW, bring target stands and targets.  If the range is crowded by the time we get there, the "string between the posts" won't work out very well.

cya on the 31st.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
2+ hours, 106 miles.  

Probably not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
2+ hours, 106 miles.

To where?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#17]
my house to Elk Neck
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm on board for Sunday. New job has me training on Saturday, can't go to the Fun Show . Sea food and peanuts again after the shoot? Or should we barbeque? Last time we shot, if I remember correctly, a few guys actually starved to death on the range.
 I was wondering, is it unfashonable to wear a tactical vest at the range to practice mag changes?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I was wondering, is it unfashonable to wear a tactical vest at the range to practice mag changes?

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Still a definite maybe. Haven't heard back from most of my guys as to wether they can make it or not.

If we do, is it OK to bring steel plates?

I have 3 1/2" plates. I don't have a stand, but was thinking I could make a stand by using 1/2 of a bed frame to form a U and driving it into the dirt with a hammer. Then hanging the plates on the cross beam.

Is that acceptable to do at Elk Neck?

--LS
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#21]
longshot
I don't think they allow steel targets.
i will try and find out for sure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm on board for Sunday.

Okay, but you keep us waiting around for an hour like on Saturday, you will be my taget stand

Sea food and peanuts again after the shoot?

Yeah, that place does have really good food doesnt it?

Or should we barbeque?

Dont know, I think the park might have some stupid open fire rule or some kind of Smokey the Bear bullshit.

Last time we shot, if I remember correctly, a few guys actually starved to death on the range.

Best damn tactical targets I ever shot at!

Sounds like a good idea to me. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Just heard back from my Bro/Best Man and he has to work Sunday. Looks like its a no-go on us getting there.

I am going to settlement on the sale of a house this Friday and depending on how that goes, I may be available Sunday anyway.

My M-Day is Oct. 11, so maybe I can drag everyone up there sometime in Sept.

--LS
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm bringing a handful of "Marksman's Challenge" targets on Sunday in case someone wants to test thier skills at 25 yards.

Marksman's Challenge
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm bringing a handful of "Marksman's Challenge" targets on Sunday in case someone wants to test thier skills at 25 yards.

Marksman's Challenge

What do these targets look like? The pic on that site isnt working.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I was at the Elk Neck range a few weeks back (late Saturday afternoon).  Lots of horseflies and wasps but very few people.  One ranger did a drive-by but didn't bother to check range permits.

I used that range a lot before I moved to PA and I saw plenty of politically incorrect hardware.  Full auto is not allowed, though I don't think they'll hassle you if you're only shooting semi (they probably won't even notice).  Semi is limited to one round per second, and I've seen people get scolded for being too fast on the trigger.

You need your own target stand, and I recommend something heavy since the wind can get nasty.  The center of your target has to be at least four feet off the ground.  Paper and clay only, definitely no steel.  Plastic is probably okay.

I'll come down Sunday if I can.

jafager
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
SUPRISE, SUPRISE, SUPRISE
I'll be there.
Now what do I want to being?

610! 610! 610!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#28]

What do these targets look like? The pic on that site isnt working.

standard silohet approx. 2 or 3 inches high with a 1.5 inch X-Ring.  I'm at work now, can't post stuff to the web.

Download Marksman's Challenge Target

The link is working ok now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess I'll bring the Garand, M1 carbine, 10/22's, 9supercomp, 627.
Can't seem to remember, but someone asked me to bring something else.
Oh well we'll have fun anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#30]
610! 610! 610!

Is anyone bringing an ACOG? ...I'm curious how the BAC works.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Is anyone bringing an ACOG? .

Sure, buy me one and I'll be more than happy to let you try it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmm...when's your birthday again?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Just bought some 7.62x39 for me and and a marine buddy of mine, and we're more than excited about this shoot. I'm bringing a young guy (hopefully) that is going to Marine basic in October. We'll have to do some BRM w/ him. If anyone has a 20" AR15 A2 that they could bring for him to try that would be really cool. See you all on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#34]
OH yea I'm bringing my Remington Sendaro in 300 WinMag. Still can't remember what the other person wanted me to bring.
Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OH yea I'm bringing my Remington Sendaro in 300 WinMag. Still can't remember what the other person wanted me to bring.
Oh well.

Your Polymer Sig?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#36]
M4
Yea I forgot about the Sig. Thanks
Cerebus
Just picking I will bring the 610

Guess I better make a list.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#37]
9supercomp,

Could  you also email directions to the next IPSIC competition that you will be at? I want to take a look at it before I join.
thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Cerebus
Just picking I will bring the 610

I figured as much.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#39]
So, do we need our own target stands?  I need to sight in a TA31 so I might make the trip (I'm in Baltimore right now.)  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So, do we need our own target stands?  I need to sight in a TA31 so I might make the trip (I'm in Baltimore right now.)  

Yes, bring a target stand and targets.  Range rules quote  -  bullseye must be 48" off the ground.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Had a great time shooting with ya guys and I was very happy to see some new faces at the shoot.

I will have pics up tomorrow evening in  athread but this same forum.

Thanks for coming out!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Pics, pics ...where are the pics?

I had a good time too, was nice to meet some new (to me) people from the board ...except for 9supercomp and SlimHazy.  Thanks to them I now have to buy a 610 revolver and an ACOG TA31.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey cerebus
Don't blame me for you having to buy new toys.
You are the one that asked me to bring it.
By the way the pics are in a new thread.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=172719&w=myTopicPop
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Cerebus, get with the program! just kiding

YEah they are in the link 9Super posted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top