User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a great idea.  I didn't use a real phone number when I checked it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm over my head guys. Could someone email me what I am suppose to do. Like to stay in touch. I'm quite upset a) because things are going black b) I feel like an idiot because I don't know what's happening nor what to do.

Appreciate it y'all.
First, go to this site do download a program for your computer: https://telegram.org/apps

They also probably have an apple/android app, but we all know how that goes...

After you sign up (it requires a mobile phone number, they send you a verification link). Use whatever name you want in sign up (like your user name or some BS). There will be another spot to put your user name as well.

After you are signed up, search for the group: MNPatriotchat
Use that term exactly.

After you "join chat", you are in. There is no pre-auth needed.

Wasn’t there some talk about phone numbers being a bad idea in that gd thread?

Not a great idea.  I didn't use a real phone number when I checked it out.

So it doesn’t use that number for verification??
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know anything about baofeng radios but you can find yaesu or icom older handhelds fairly cheap. Have had my Yaesu VX-7R for for many years. Think I saw used ones for under $100 bucks. Check out radio reference web site in the classifieds or craigslist. As long as it can transmit in time of emergency, you should be good to go. The cell phones can be shut down to easy to trust. They did that in southern California when they had the riots there to stop folks communicating.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@36trap

Tell me more about the group you created.  Is this entirely MN Arfcom members?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@36trap

Tell me more about the group you created.  Is this entirely MN Arfcom members?

I believe it is entirely MN members.  This is the only place the link was posted.  It's certainly possible someone wandered into the MN hometown, read the post, and decided to join.

ETA:  The group name was changed when news started claiming Telegram was being used for extremism.  The OG group name MN Patriots chat is likely to draw attention or possibly get shut down so it was changed to something that will fly under the radar.  Anyone who's in the group or visited the group like yourself can clearly see we're not promoting or even discussing anything of questionable nature.

Quoted:
I understand that, but it appears that it has been active well before this thread was posted.

No, it wasn't active.  The MN group and the OP for this thread were created the same day or within a day of each other.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
A burner phone or some other phone not linked to you might be a good idea if signing up with telegram.
I was contacted twice by people I know after signing up.
Apparently telegram has some way of letting you know that someone on your contacts list is now on telegram.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A burner phone or some other phone not linked to you might be a good idea if signing up with telegram.
Apparently telegram has some way of letting you know that someone on your contacts list is now on telegram.
View Quote

It asked me permission to access my contacts when I set it up. I declined.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will ask for permission and you have to say yes or no.

Additionally, be sure to adjust the privacy and security to your liking.  There are many options.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It asked me permission to access my contacts when I set it up. I declined.
View Quote

I guess I did it wrong, not surprising.
I didn't put telegram on my phone, just the tablet I use for online stuff.
Moral of the story is be a better computer guy than me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For backup comms, what about a very simple message board setup on a raspberry pi?

Quick search showed this is more than possible.

I'm not a Linux guy, but I'd be willing to buy the pi and host it on my internet connection, provided it stays small (only 2.5 upload, and I need a lot of that). Any Linux experts here want to set up the pi? I already have a no-ip account to keep that stable.
View Quote
This is NOT something you want hosted from your home network.  You don't want the feds knocking on your door with a warrant and taking every piece of tech in your house because you hosted something like this.  This is better hosted on a hosting service in a foreign land.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Pm sent
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this still going? It’s no longer in my list of Telegram chats. Seems more important now than ever to have a secondary means of keeping in touch when people are being disappeared left and right around here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm curious as well. I just installed Telegram on my new phone and I don't see it listed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Did the admin get disappeared?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top