Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Between that and djt doing a good job on the sot (other than that poor joke attempt early in), it's been a good day.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Not just a flip...that Lourey family has held that seat since 1996 and were attempting to extend their dynasty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.startribune.com/jason-rarick-and-stu-lourey-locked-in-tight-race-for-minnesota-senate-seat/505394902/

Republican Jason Rarick won a hotly contested special election for an east-central Minnesota state Senate seat Tuesday, flipping a district long held by Democrats to give his party more power in the state Legislature.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Great news!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does this mean that the GOP has a slight lead in both houses now, or did the existing lead shift a bit more to our favor? Great news either way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does this mean that the GOP has a slight lead in both houses now, or did the existing lead shift a bit more to our favor? Great news either way.
View Quote
The Dems hold the state House. The Reps now have a 35-32 majority in the state Senate. If the Dem would have won, it would have been a 34-33 Rep majority in the Senate.

It the latter had happened, it'd be much more likely for the senate Reps to "compromise" on the radical agenda the Dems have put forth in the House. With a 3 vote majority, the Reps can stand stronger on things such as the ridiculous gas tax, socializing healthcare and our pet issue, gun control.

ETA: Also with the larger majority, the gun legislation becomes MUCH harder to pass because outstate Dems, who are much less "gun control now, gun control always" than the metro breed, will see it as a harder road. We may even peel a few votes away from the Dem side because they're afraid of facing their rural voters (who are generally NOT for gun control) if they vote to pass it.

ETA2: This doesn't mean we should let our foot off the gas. We still need to be at rallies, committee hearings (if the House Dems will give public notice), and contact our reps and senators as often as we can. --They will be back with this gun control BS every year until they pass it. It's on us to stop them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:because outstate Dems...
View Quote
Are there really any left?  Seems like we've been trading outstate seats for suburban seats pretty heavily over the past few election cycles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are there really any left?  Seems like we've been trading outstate seats for suburban seats pretty heavily over the past few election cycles.
View Quote
My state senator house rep is a Dem, long held seat.

I'm hoping to personally de-throne him though

ETA: Correction
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Too many senators for such a tiny metro.
View Quote
Reynolds v. Sims, 377 U.S. 533 (1964)
Take it up with Earl Warren.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many senators for such a tiny metro.
Interesting, I had not known that history
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well would ya look at that? Let's see, Moorhead, Duluth (arrowhead), Mankato, Twin Cities, Rochester and Albert Lea/Austin are the only blue areas. These also happen to be the cities/towns of note in the state. Most of these have a major university in them.

There are still a few outstate Dem held seats that are vulnerable to being picked off on a gun control vote. Most notably Moorhead and the Albert Lea/Austin area. Outside shot at the Mankato area. --I admit I know nothing about the districts or the senators in those districts though. Just from a proximity to traditional values I could see it.

I did think there were a few more Dem seats outstate, honestly. Times are a changin'.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well would ya look at that? Let's see, Moorhead, Duluth (arrowhead), Mankato, Twin Cities, Rochester and Albert Lea/Austin are the only blue areas. These also happen to be the cities/towns of note in the state. Most of these have a major university in them.

There are still a few outstate Dem held seats that are vulnerable to being picked off on a gun control vote. Most notably Moorhead and the Albert Lea/Austin area. Outside shot at the Mankato area. --I admit I know nothing about the districts or the senators in those districts though. Just from a proximity to traditional values I could see it.

I did think there were a few more Dem seats outstate, honestly. Times are a changin'.
View Quote
As I said, not many outstate Dems left but the same can be said for suburban Republicans.  District 58 will probably flip back to R in 2020, it's a fairly conservative district that should have been won in 2016.  District 4 is more demographically difficult but should be in play with a good candidate (too bad Lanning is too old to get back in).  And I'd love to boot out that smarmy little bas#@$ Cwodzinski from Hann's seat in 48.  Unless there's some radical redistricting in 2020, the State Senate is structurally set up for Republicans to narrowly hold for the foreseeable future.  The House on the other hand can go either way with the winds.  We know that the local Pravda is going to carry water for them but hopefully the overreach by the urban libs in this current/next session brings the suburban vote back home.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 1:46:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just another piece of evidence of the abominable Warren Court's manufacturing rights, obligations and general shredding of the Constitution.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
FGW
http://www.startribune.com/first-lady-we-are-coming-after-minnesota-senators-who-don-t-support-gun-restrictions/507113942/
First Lady Gwen Walz, who vowed electoral consequences if measures to expand background checks and adopt a red flag law don’t receive hearings and a vote this session.

“If they do not put it up for a vote, there are seven senators sitting in seats where Tim Walz won — and we are coming,” Gwen Walz said.
View Quote
Send $ here. https://www.gunowners.mn/donate
Rob Doar, political director of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, which opposes new restrictions, said he is confident his allies in the Senate won’t allow a hearing or a vote.

“The public has been heard in numerous House hearings,” he said. “I don’t see a Senate hearing adding anything productive to the conversation.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice to see our side calling the bluff of the antis who say "do what we want or we'll be mad at you".
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
So that’s all ok as long as there’s no gun???
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So that's all ok as long as there's no gun???
View Quote
And spellcheck.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And spellcheck.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that's all ok as long as there's no gun???
And spellcheck.  
Ha, completely missed that while scrolling the phone
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
So when is constitutional carry getting voted into law?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
When MN voters extract their heads from their asses.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never. We need a police issued permit to be allowed to get a background check run on us here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Here we go...
http://www.startribune.com/gazelka-willing-to-hear-gun-background-check-and-red-flag-bills/507716152/
Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, a leading gun rights advocate, said Tuesday he would be willing to hear proposals to expand criminal background checks and adopt a “red flag” law if the House passes both bills this year.

“It hasn’t been a priority of ours but what I will say is if the House passes universal background check and red flag laws off the floor, I am committed to giving those bills and other gun bills a hearing in the Senate,” Gazelka told the Star Tribune in an interview.

The Nisswa Republican has previously said he would “do everything in my power” to block new gun control measures this session.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw this crap from MNGOC:
In the meantime, the anti-gun metro DFL is now attempting to sidestep this process and pass gun control into law via the budgeting process.

They've introduced bills for the Department of Public Safety budget in both the House and Senate - and then have embedded Universal Gun Registration and Red Flag Gun Confiscation into the budget bills.
View Quote
What is that restriction called where you can't tack unrelated crap on to bills? especially budget bills
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is that restriction called where you can't tack unrelated crap on to bills? especially budget bills
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In the meantime, the anti-gun metro DFL is now attempting to sidestep this process and pass gun control into law via the budgeting process.

They've introduced bills for the Department of Public Safety budget in both the House and Senate - and then have embedded Universal Gun Registration and Red Flag Gun Confiscation into the budget bills.
Nongermane?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Never. We need a police issued permit to be allowed to get a background check run on us here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that but that could be changed if voters elected the right people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here we go...
http://www.startribune.com/gazelka-willing-to-hear-gun-background-check-and-red-flag-bills/507716152/
Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, a leading gun rights advocate, said Tuesday he would be willing to hear proposals to expand criminal background checks and adopt a "red flag" law if the House passes both bills this year.

"It hasn't been a priority of ours but what I will say is if the House passes universal background check and red flag laws off the floor, I am committed to giving those bills and other gun bills a hearing in the Senate," Gazelka told the Star Tribune in an interview.

The Nisswa Republican has previously said he would "do everything in my power" to block new gun control measures this session.
What the actual fuck?!?!
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What the actual fuck?!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go...
Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, a leading gun rights advocate, said Tuesday he would be willing to hear proposals to expand criminal background checks and adopt a "red flag" law if the House passes both bills this year.

"It hasn't been a priority of ours but what I will say is if the House passes universal background check and red flag laws off the floor, I am committed to giving those bills and other gun bills a hearing in the Senate," Gazelka told the Star Tribune in an interview.

The Nisswa Republican has previously said he would "do everything in my power" to block new gun control measures this session.
What the actual fuck?!?!
Great
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here we go...
Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, a leading gun rights advocate, said Tuesday he would be willing to hear proposals to expand criminal background checks and adopt a “red flag” law if the House passes both bills this year.

“It hasn’t been a priority of ours but what I will say is if the House passes universal background check and red flag laws off the floor, I am committed to giving those bills and other gun bills a hearing in the Senate,” Gazelka told the Star Tribune in an interview.

The Nisswa Republican has previously said he would “do everything in my power” to block new gun control measures this session.
What is wrong with Republicans in this state?

How about "lol, no, fuck off".  That works.

Eh, reading later in the article, maybe he's trying to get that point across in a more civil manner.  The commies will never agree to Stand Your Ground.

Gazelka said any Senate hearings on gun legislation would also need to include Republican-backed proposals to increase penalties for illegal gun transfers and create a "stand your ground" law allowing deadly force for self-defense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd be willing to compromise:

Our side gets stand your ground and carrying night vision in the field legalized....

and in return the antis fuck off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Seems fair to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Our side gets stand your ground and carrying night vision in the field legalized....

View Quote
I like this deal, don't forget thermal -- sign me up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#36]
If you notice he specifically states that he'll hold hearings only if the House puts up each bill for a vote on their own, not a part of another, larger bill.  This way it'll force Dems in red districts to vote on them and not hide behind a vote for a larger bill that "just happened" to have these gun control measures included.

If the House doesn't comply, then Gazelka can say "hey, that was the deal", and refuse to hold the hearings.  If the Dems do comply and hold up or down votes on these two bills individually and they pass, then the the GOP will have those Dem votes on the record.  The Senate would then hold the hearings as promised and summarily vote them down in committee 6-3 where they have the majority.

It's political gamesmanship, but what comes around goes around.

The metro Dem leadership in the House has been playing procedural games trying to shield the vulnerable Dems in rural areas from taking controversial votes like this all session so they don't have to face their constituents before the next election.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, thermal has to be included or fuck it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Do we have any staunch 2A supporting sheriffs in MN?
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/31/us/colorado-red-flag-gun-law/index.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Read that story. The guy who killed that deputy, threatened a police officer. Basically communicating  threat. Thought that was a felony! If it is, and he was convicted, as a felon, he would have lost his right to own guns. So need for bullshit laws that have no recourse if proven wrong! God dam politicians need to wake the fuck up and see the red flag law will cause more harm than good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Read that story. The guy who killed that deputy, threatened a police officer. Basically communicating  threat. Thought that was a felony! If it is, and he was convicted, as a felon, he would have lost his right to own guns. So need for bullshit laws that have no recourse if proven wrong! God dam politicians need to wake the fuck up and see the red flag law will cause more harm than good.
View Quote
It's nearly impossible to talk sense into those that are blinded by their own hype. It is CLEAR common sense to read the constitution and see why it exists. Not how it's interpreted...but how it is CLEARLY written. But you just can't force reason down the throat of an infant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Common sense is the worst term these days because I would argue most people have no sense let alone an agreed upon common level of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#43]
On Thursday afternoon, Gazelka reacted decisively to the Democrats' plan: Won't happen.

"We're not going to play games," he said. "It ends up being a stalemate. We're not going to ever agree to that."
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
On Thursday afternoon, Gazelka reacted decisively to the Democrats' plan: Won't happen.

"We're not going to play games," he said. "It ends up being a stalemate. We're not going to ever agree to that."
Then Gazelka summarized the matter: “We weren’t going to have hearings. We were going to push it off until next year and work on the budget, but we decided that if they were serious about it and they wanted to give us an up or down vote, that we would have hearings. Well, they’ve chosen not to take that path, and that’s why I say both gun bills are dead.”
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then Gazelka summarized the matter: “We weren’t going to have hearings. We were going to push it off until next year and work on the budget, but we decided that if they were serious about it and they wanted to give us an up or down vote, that we would have hearings. Well, they’ve chosen not to take that path, and that’s why I say both gun bills are dead.”
Awesome
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone else have a family member that WILL red flag them if this bill passes?

The "reason" would be that I'm a dangerously unstable racist. But of course this person takes no less than 4 drugs to stabilize her mental health and has spent time in a mental hospital within the past 2 years.

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anyone else have a family member that WILL red flag them if this bill passes?

The "reason" would be that I'm a dangerously unstable racist. But of course this person takes no less than 4 drugs to stabilize her mental health and has spent time in a mental hospital within the past 2 years.

View Quote
My mil literally hates me. Not the "we don't get along" thing, she has threatened multiple times to have me killed and "taken care of". Surprised I haven't been swatted yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Email update today from my Rep (Lucero) says the two gun control bills are being added to the Public Safety omnibus bill.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course they are

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nongermane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nongermane?
Democrats... restrictions?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top