Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 12:18:10 AM EDT
I have a 12.5" AR15 pistol that is going tk be SBR'd and am building a 10.5".

I've asked before in the AR pistol subforum but would like to clarify.

12.5" is a pistol in federal law, but doesn't count for the permit to carry. So I can't keep loaded and uncased in my truck and can't hunt large game in the southern part of the state becuase it's an "other weapon".

Since my 10.5" will be sub 26" OAL it is a pistol in MN law, am I correct?

I figure Ill get better answers here in my home state. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sue where you're getting that information but it does not appear to be correct. Less than 16 inches of barrel and less than 26 inches OAL is a pistol in Minnesota.

624.712 DEFINITIONS.
Subdivision 1.Scope. As used in sections 624.711 to 624.717, the terms defined in this section shall have the meanings given them.
Subd. 2.Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.

Linky

Edit: Reread the post. Is the 12.5 inch barrel make it over 26 inches?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't measured mine but on average a 12.5 is over 26".

I'm building the 10.5" to use as a truck gun (in condition 1 and uncased) and to hunt large game with. Just wondering if the 12.5" can be used for that role, it seems like it can't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It is considered a "generic title 1 firearm". Neither a pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
The term is called "AOW" (any other weapon).
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The term is called "AOW" (any other weapon).
View Quote
Nope. An AOW requires registration under the NFA. A generic title 1 firearm does not.

ATF definition
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
624.712 DEFINITIONS.

Subd. 2.Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"If you build it, they will come"
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope. An AOW requires registration under the NFA. A generic title 1 firearm does not.

ATF definition
View Quote
When used with a sig brace or similar, to my understanding it does not require a tax stamp. Or is that changed again? I do know you cannot shoulder it with the sig brace or similar though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When used with a sig brace or similar, to my understanding it does not require a tax stamp. Or is that changed again? I do know you cannot shoulder it with the sig brace or similar though.
View Quote
You are several months behind on that one. ATF has now changed its position on shouldering braces as long as the brace has not been modified from the original configuration.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Use of a pistol brace doesn't change anything in relation to NFA status in and of itself, unless it changes the length to the point that it puts it in or out of AOW status.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF definition
Use of a pistol brace doesn't change anything in relation to NFA status in and of itself, unless it changes the length to the point that it puts it in or out of AOW status.
Length on its own does not change status as an AOW. It can be a factor in some instances, but you generally need other features in conjunction with length to make something an AOW. The ATF definition that I linked is pretty clear if you take the time to read and understand it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sue where you're getting that information but it does not appear to be correct. Less than 16 inches of barrel and less than 26 inches OAL is a pistol in Minnesota.

624.712 DEFINITIONS.
Subdivision 1.Scope. As used in sections 624.711 to 624.717, the terms defined in this section shall have the meanings given them.
Subd. 2.Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor.

Linky

Edit: Reread the post. Is the 12.5 inch barrel make it over 26 inches?
View Quote
It says "or" so......

An AR particularly with a brace if it is a pistol it is meant to be fired with one hand.
Even if it is ungainly it matters not.  A Colt Walker converted to fire cartridges is heavier than many AR pistols and it is still a handgun.
If two hands are used it does not make it anything but a pistol.
My BHP does not qualify as a non-pistol just because I always use two hands to fire it.
For the purpose of hunting regulations long arms must be at least 26 inches long.  "Long arm" as in it has a stock.
There is no requirement for length when hunting with a pistol.

Don't get confused between State and Federal Law.

Note that Federal Statutes are not referenced in the State definitions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
So can an AR pistol be used as your PTC weapon?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
The mossberg shockwave and remington tac-14 are considered generic class 1 firearms.  If I have my permit to carry can I legally carry one locked and loaded in my vehicle or would that make it a AOW?  Read somewhere that if you conceal a generic class 1 firearm than its considered a AOW not sure how true that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top