Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 1:28:00 PM EDT
Hello all,

My wife may be getting an offer to move from her work.  If she gets a good enough offer we may take it.  But first, I wanted to ask.  Do you like living in MN?  I have been in NM my whole life and we are not used to the bitter cold, so I know I would need to prep for that.  

Any advice?  Tips?  Likes?  Dislikes?

I am sure crime is lower up there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Where would you be moving to?  There are parts of Minneapolis and St Paul that I would not move to.  I live in a northern suburb of Minneapolis and the crime is rather low.

The cold is something to get used to.  It is always better when you have things to do in the cold that makes it more bearable.  I like to ice fish and go sledding with my daughter.  Many others like to ski, snowmobile, snow shoe, or many other outdoors winter activities that you can do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.  Where would the job bring her?  International Falls is much different than Minneapolis which is much different from Duluth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where would you be moving to?  There are parts of Minneapolis and St Paul that I would not move to.  I live in a northern suburb of Minneapolis and the crime is rather low.

The cold is something to you never get used to.  It is always better when you have things to do in the cold that makes it more bearable.  I like to ice fish and go sledding with my daughter.  Many others like to ski, snowmobile, snow shoe, or many other outdoors winter activities that you can do.
View Quote
I moved here from Oregon in 2009. Summer is fun. Winter is a force from the cold pits of the Abyss.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Winter here is a fact of life that some people never get used to. It is just like the rest of nature. You can't control it, but you can deal with it, and even learn to enjoy parts of it. Dress for the weather and make sure that all the important parts of your car work (including the heater).

Four months out of the year are shitty cold, and two to three months are shitty hot. The rest of the year is beautiful. No mountains to see though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think winter is all that bad.  There are times when the temps get and stay below zero and that gets horrible but to me it is no different that a warmer climate area where it gets and stays above 100.  If you have things to do outside then it is not that bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have nothing to add to these threads other than that which you've elected to post in this thread and the other, perhaps you should consider staying out of them.  - sju
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I moved up here from Arizona about a year and a half ago. I like it but I would highly recommend reading this article http://m.startribune.com/minnesota-nice-it-s-like-ice/266823811/

I found it very true and almost all of the transplants at my company were surprised how true it is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I moved up here from Arizona about a year and a half ago. I like it but I would highly recommend reading this article http://m.startribune.com/minnesota-nice-it-s-like-ice/266823811/

I found it very true and almost all of the transplants at my company were surprised how true it is.
View Quote
Its referred to as MN Nice, but what it really is is Mn Passive Aggressive

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Its referred to as MN Nice, but what it really is is Mn Passive Aggressive

View Quote
So true.  Very Passive Aggressive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are parts of Minneapolis and St Paul that I would not move to.
View Quote
How is the St Anthony-Roseville area?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I grew up in Roseville. It is decent and fairly quiet, for now. Rice street (eastern border of Roseville) makes me more uncomfortable the closer I get to St. Paul. Rice Street north of Hwy 36 is pretty much okay.

Lots of nursing homes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#15]
That article is accurate and other than work assignments overseas and other part of CONUS I have lived in Minnesota my whole adult life. All of my good friends are from other parts of the country and my best friend is a Cali transplant. Have a couple of shooting friends who are transplants from midwest and other locations of Minnesota. We have a good time but do occasionally get on the subject regarding "locals" (born in same town, lived in same town, never left town). Locals are comfortable with their buddies and seldom wish to step outside of that comfort zone. When getting back from Europe assignment a local career consultant stated it best. Don't expect to find the locals welcoming you into their circles, you are different, you bring different skill sets, different life experience that is foreign to locals". He helped me realize that it is nothing personal just a cultural norm in most towns and cities her in the state. IF you get out and "do stuff" you will find plenty of friends they just wont be the local folks who born, grew up and live in said community. If you have kids get em into hockey thats a fast track to finding 'Minny' friends  Well at least your own great niche of friends.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are parts of Minneapolis and St Paul that I would not move to.
St Anthony Village is pretty nice. But ever since they completed the Lowry bridge, the hood has spilled over into NE minneapolis and therefore, into STA.

STA schools are about as good as it gets.

Good access to highways and freeways.

I grew up in STA. Folks still live there. PM me if you've got anymore questions!  @Gopherboy128
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Im back home in WA. I liked St Anthony area.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Live on the outside of the loop (494,694) or a little further. Get ready for the Democrats BS in this state. Get a permit to carry too. This state raped the folks on 1 billion in taxes. You will get used to the cold. If you like fishing, this is the state to be in. Best in the nation AFAIK.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a local and personally love it here.

I would disregard on the if your not local, you won't have local friends. Sounds like a crock to me.

Be nice work hard, vote conservative, and we will like ya!

Winters are no big sweat. I recommend 4x4 vehicles, and never cheap out on a snowblower, or car tires.

I also second on living outside the 494/694 loop. Inner suburbs are only good for one thing - proximity to Minneapolis/st. Paul.

The drive is worth it from the suburbs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Stay as far away from the Minneapolis and st Paul and first few rings of suburbs if you can.  Look on the outskirts of the cities like Centerville,  link lakes, lake Elmo, Woodbury, Stillwater, Rosemount, Farmington, lakeville, prior lake, savage, Shakopee, Chaska, Chanhassen, Otsego, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top