Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:45:48 AM EDT
Got invited to join the Oakdale Gun Club.  I live in Bloomington so it would be a decent drive.  Do you guys think it is worth it?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I don't.  It's expensive, requires 2 9-hour work days/year and the facilities are pretty limited if you are into rifle shooting.  Also, it is open to public shooting during all of the nice-weather months and there always seems to be something going on on whatever ranges you want to shoot.  I was a member for a couple of years but dropped it in favor of some other clubs.  If you are mainly a pistol or shotgun shooter you might get more enjoyment out of it.  If you like shooting rifles off a bench at 100 and 200 yards and having to stop every 10 minutes so someone with a 30-30 can go down and look at his target, it might be right up your alley.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Are there any good ranges in southern twin cities area?  I have been to Bills and Metro, but they are kind of long hauls now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you my experience as a member is 100% different than described abve.

If you like being the only one on the range, bringing guests, steel tagets and drawng from the uolster are nt your style, dont join.

Others will be by shortly to confirm
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]

I've got a membership there and its a nice place to shoot. I've never had a problem shooting on the comp (25/50 split) 100 or 200. We even have bikes on the 200 so you dont have to walk the whole way down. Pistol range was out of commission last time i was there so the 25 is been temperarly converted to serve as a pistol range. nice club and good people. bringing guests has never been a problem for me. Steel targets are fine as long as its during members only hours. no holster work allowed though

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely not worth the drive. I would refuse the invitation immediately.

(JK. I am on the list and am hoping for people ahead of me to drop off. )
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can tell you my experience as a member is 100% different than described abve.

If you like being the only one on the range, bringing guests, steel tagets and drawng from the uolster are nt your style, dont join.

Others will be by shortly to confirm

Yeah, I like all of that stuff too, I just do it elsewhere.  It's the open to the public 30% of the time, high membership fees, 800+ members, 2 work days, and very limited facilities for rifle shooting that I don't like so much.  I was a member for 2 years and was never once the only one on the range.  Like I mentioned, if you're primarily a pistol or shotgun shooter, it might be great.  If you are a rifle shooter, there are better options.  Shooting rifles off a bench at 200 meters and in gets old very fast...

Just stating my opinions based on my experiences there and the type of shooting I enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If you know how to use it, Oakdale is the best deal in town.  I do not know of other ranges this close the the cities that allow shooting on the move.

I never shoot during public hours.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Do members shoot free after the initial fees?  Thank you for all of your input!  I am going there Sunday to check it out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
is there any other choice really?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do members shoot free after the initial fees?  Thank you for all of your input!  I am going there Sunday to check it out.

Members shoot free all the time, with the exception of trap (you have to pay for birds).

Annual dues are $85 (which, IMO, isn't anything resembling high), and you're required to do 18 hours worth of service a year –– that includes range duty, helping with maintenance, doing the yard work, manning the booth at gun shows, teaching firearms safety, etc.  There are a LOT of options.  In exchange, you can use the range year-round and bring guests.  Yes, during the summer on the weekends the public has priority (since that's where the money comes from), but during the week and the rest of the year, it's members-only.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OGC is an excellent range.  $85 is not steep at all, considering how much going to a range costs these days.  You just have to be willing to work 2 days a year.  

Erud is welcome to his opinions but I've never shared his experiences.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't.  It's expensive, requires 2 9-hour work days/year and the facilities are pretty limited if you are into rifle shooting.  Also, it is open to public shooting during all of the nice-weather months and there always seems to be something going on on whatever ranges you want to shoot.  I was a member for a couple of years but dropped it in favor of some other clubs.  If you are mainly a pistol or shotgun shooter you might get more enjoyment out of it.  If you like shooting rifles off a bench at 100 and 200 yards and having to stop every 10 minutes so someone with a 30-30 can go down and look at his target, it might be right up your alley.

I have been a member for over 10 yrs. If you shoot rifle they have 20 shooting stations at the 100 range and 4 concrete benches at 200 meters, if you cant walk 200 meters there are crappy bikes to ride down and back. It is the best outdoor shooting faucilty in MN. I shot my rifles there this morning and was alone on the 100 and 200. The public gets to shoot June through the end of Sept on weekends only til 4:00, if you are worried about crowds go after 4 pm or during the week like I do. Sept through Nov the club is open to the public 7 days a week until 400 pm, thats when the club makes most of its operating capital. If you want to go out there and shoot, PM me and I will meet you out there and take you in as a guest.

well worth your time and money

https://www.oakdalegunclub.org/
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I joined the American Legion post 435 just 20 miles south of Bloomington 50 100 200 yard rifle range pistol range and a trap range. was out today only one for 2 hours. have to be a legion member or SAL member. 30.00 each year plus 85.00 gun club per yeay and 4 hours of range service pre year. I like it. I spend about 25.00 if I go to Burnsville pistol range per visit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been a member for over 10 yrs. If you shoot rifle they have 20 shooting stations at the 100 range and 4 concrete benches at 200 meters, if you cant walk 200 meters there are crappy bikes to ride down and back. It is the best outdoor shooting faucilty in MN. I shot my rifles there this morning and was alone on the 100 and 200. The public gets to shoot June through the end of Sept on weekends only til 4:00, if you are worried about crowds go after 4 pm or during the week like I do. Sept through Nov the club is open to the public 7 days a week until 400 pm, thats when the club makes most of its operating capital. If you want to go out there and shoot, PM me and I will meet you out there and take you in as a guest.

well worth your time and money

https://www.oakdalegunclub.org/

I appreciate the offer, but will respectfully pass.  As stated above, I was a member there for 2 years and have shot there many times. I cancelled my membership after I found other clubs to join that better fit my shooting interests.  Like also mentioned above, if you are into the types of shooting that OGC caters to, then it's probably great for you.  I rarely shoot shotguns, can shoot pistols at any range and would rather stay home than shoot a rifle off a bench at 200 meters.  I also do not like the idea of letting the public in to shoot during most of the prime-time shooting days. June - September weekends plus 3 straight months of being open to the public 7 days a week is a lot of time to give up in peak shooting season for a private club.   I know of no other private clubs in the area that do anything even remotely close to that. I have memberships at other clubs that better suit my needs.  I am clearly in the minority on this board in my opinion of the facilities at OGC, I can live with that.  

Shoot wherever you want and enjoy yourself.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#15]
please list the other clubs that you have found that are a better value so people can check them out.

by the way you dont have to shoot "off the bech" at 200 meters if you dont want to, sit on the ground, stand, prone, off shooting sticks, or in a fricking ghillie suit if you want to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
OGC has a nice facility, but, too many dicks who acts as RSO's during public hours.

I've held off posting this story, but, too many forum members here still don't get it that OGC is NOTORIOUS for having compete assholes work as RSO during public hours.

I went there late last summer with a friend and was treated like crap by the 500lb RSO whale working the 50yrd range.
Yes, I showed up with an EBR to do a little sighting in before moving to the 100yd range. I am guessing that was my first mistake...

When they called the range "cease fire", I ejected my mag, pulled my bolt back, stuck in the RWVA chamber flag and placed the one live round next to the mag.
As I was getting behind the "line", Officer Unfriendly had the nerve to ask me if I even knew how to use an "M16" (yes, he called it an "M16") and said my rifle was not safe as I have a loose live round laying on the table.

I insisted that he tell me where this was in the range rules or identify where this was posted. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know every rule, but, that one was news to me.
He simply pointed to the said "out". So, I packed up and left.

To add insult to injury, I stopped by the front desk where I paid and asked for a refund and tried to give my take on the events. Nope... "Just leave".

OGC doesn't need my money that bad if they are going to staff the range with RSO like that.

I don't doubt people can have a good and safe time there, but, I've given up on trying to figure out who's corn flakes got pissed on that morning.

ETA: I guess some members at OGC take it upon themselves to spontaneously enforce their motto of  "Oakdale Gun Club reserves the right to refuse service to any individual or group, for any reason".
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
please list the other clubs that you have found that are a better value so people can check them out.

Bald Eagle Sportsmans Association
http://www.besamn.com/

$100 new member fee and $75/yr from then on.
Only requires a single 8-hour work day and the RSO leadership will pull you off the line if they get complaints.

Its in Hugo which might not be close for some, and its only open on Sat for public hours. No Sunday shooting except in the fall.

I've sponsored 4 forum members and none have felt it was a bad choice.

Lots of ex-OGC members are at BESA. I've never heard of anybody quitting  BESA because they felt OGC was a "better deal".
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
its a great place to shoot... lots of AR shooters, NFA friendly and 80 bucks a year is HARDLY expensive...

if ya dont shoot durring the public hours you are often the only person on the range... pluss lots of good events...

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
no ro at OGC said a rifle wasnt safe cus there was a cartridge next to the mag... sorry but no way.

and it is very AR friendly...

i sat on the waiting list at bald eagle for 4 years and when my number was up i got bumped so they could take in a few city council members out there... kind of a dump too...
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

by the way you dont have to shoot "off the bech" at 200 meters if you dont want to, sit on the ground, stand, prone, off shooting sticks, or in a fricking ghillie suit if you want to.

Email sent.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
no ro at OGC said a rifle wasnt safe cus there was a cartridge next to the mag... sorry but no way.

i sat on the waiting list at bald eagle for 4 years and when my number was up i got bumped so they could take in a few city council members out there... kind of a dump too...

Well, officer unfriendly wanted an excuse to get folks off the line and none of the other RSO's stood up to "tiny".

If your calling me a liar, go right ahead. If it makes you feel better about your club, so be it.

But your knowledge of BESA is quite outdated and it shows.

You have not been out to BESA in quite some time.
- membership has been open for over 5 years
- we built all new shooting houses for the 25/50/100 yrd ranges, 5 years ago
- there is a new rifle club house, 5 years ago

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really?  I've heard some pretty stupefying things come out of the mouths of RO's at lots of different ranges.  Norseman's story does not surprise me in the least.  Think about all of the idiotic crap you hear at gun shops and shows from supposedly knowledgeable folks.  Think of all the idiotic crap you read on the internet from gun "experts".  What makes you think a random member of OGC working as a RO would automatically be immune to the same stupidity?

There are plenty of guys out there who if given a name tag and an orange vest will immediately begin living out their Gunnery Sergeant fantasies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I've heard some pretty stupefying things come out of the mouths of RO's at lots of different ranges.  Norseman's story does not surprise me in the least.  Think about all of the idiotic crap you hear at gun shops and shows from supposedly knowledgeable folks.  Think of all the idiotic crap you read on the internet from gun "experts".  What makes you think a random member of OGC working as a RO would automatically be immune to the same stupidity?

There are plenty of guys out there who if given a name tag and an orange vest will immediately begin living out their Gunnery Sergeant fantasies.

I am a member at OGC and i would recommend it to anyone, yes we do have to work 18 hours a year but I do not have a problem helping (working) 2 days for my club.

I am sorry to hear about Norsemans incident and I don't doubt there are more stories like it, but with 13-1500 members we are bound to have some bone head comments out of some RO's.
I would hope everyone does realize though that at the end of the day the RO's are just trying to keep it safe for them and the public using the range, and if any do go overboard I would hope if they were reported enough they would be assigned other duties.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
With as many members as OGC has, you are going to get some people that are not black rifle friendly, think they know it all, jerks and idiots (the 2-5% in any group).  That is the way it is in a volunteer run club.  I have (as a member) had run ins during public hours with RO's who, in my opinion were not strict enough.

I have also kicked one shooter off the range, called the club house and told him to get his money back because he could not follow the rules.  

The RO runs the range.  During public hours - same rules for everybody on the public ranges.  If you have concerns, you should speak to the lead RO.  OGC is interested in feedback in REAL TIME.  Without RT feedback, the issue will persist.  

In general, the makeup of the club is changing and moving to a more self defense friendly crowd.  ETA - All the members I meet these days seem to be of the same mindset I am.

Best deal in town and as this is still America, we can choose our affiliations  

Mark
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a member at OGC and i would recommend it to anyone, yes we do have to work 18 hours a year but I do not have a problem helping (working) 2 days for my club.

I am sorry to hear about Norsemans incident and I don't doubt there are more stories like it, but with 13-1500 members we are bound to have some bone head comments out of some RO's.
I would hope everyone does realize though that at the end of the day the RO's are just trying to keep it safe for them and the public using the range, and if any do go overboard I would hope if they were reported enough they would be assigned other duties.

I appreciate the follow up posting.

Each club runs their org just a bit different. One way in which BESA is different is that we have a direct line to the leadership with which to deal with RSO's who are have repeated "bad days" when the public is present.

I've been at club meeting where members were called out on the carpet and informed that they will not be on RSO duty until they go through training again. Otherwise, they end up on cleaning or repair duty.

Some folks just should not be assigned RSO duties... Least of all Officer Unfriendly.

Folks that go to OGC and enjoy it should continue to do so.

My problem is with the idea that it so AR friendly ... Which it's not, at least the times I go.

If a member posting wants to get my friend and I a refund for the shitty treatment we received last August, I will gladly change my tune.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]
come to hudson rod and gun
you can join today- only have to work 8 hours (optioal- but you have to pay more dues if you dont)
decent little place- getting more decenter every day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Either way, I seem to do just fine there and rarely go there on a day I don't see a black rifle being fired by me or someone else.  Anyone who has ever gone there and been treated poorly, how recent was it?  As a former instructor at Bill's gun range I can say there is absolutely a reason to be a range nazi at times, but never an asshole.  Based on the volume of bullet holes in the ceiling of all the ranges I have been to, I have changed my view on what makes a good RSO.

I always post an open invite to anyone who wants to be my guest there so I can at least leave you with a positive experience.  But if not, suit yourself!
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can think of a couple of reasons not to use Oakdale Gun Club
Some of you guys who have been here a while will remember they used to post on this board

I've never seen either one of those two there... Not welcome at ARFCOM for close to 10 years now, methinks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And the one time I did shoot there I would say that the black rifle is not unilaterally excepted there [/span]

[/div]

I don't think that conclusion can be made from one visit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
And the one time I did shoot there I would say that the black rifle is not unilaterally excepted there

First impressions are lasting impressions
The comment made to me was "Whatya need a gun like that for" with a douchebag look on his face
Have the staff there get rid of the "Elmah" mentality, maybe I might come back for one more try
That same staff member does the booth at some of the mwc gun shows once in a while

There isn't a "staff" at OGC.  People volunteer for range duty, volunteer for the gun shows.  Just like any other group of people, you're going to have jackasses.  

I've never heard any unkind words about my ARs, AK, HK91, etc.  It's been a long time since I've been out there and NOT seen a black rifle of some sort (on the occasions I've not been alone out there).
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
whats the running wait time to get in at oakdale?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#34]
You can have one bad experience anywhere, once.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#35]
While I can't get you and your friends money back  I can offer to get you in for free  before june to shoot , only catch is you have to say you're my "friend" and be willing to watch me shoot my Black rifle poorly.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the follow up posting.

Each club runs their org just a bit different. One way in which BESA is different is that we have a direct line to the leadership with which to deal with RSO's who are have repeated "bad days" when the public is present.

I've been at club meeting where members were called out on the carpet and informed that they will not be on RSO duty until they go through training again. Otherwise, they end up on cleaning or repair duty.

Some folks just should not be assigned RSO duties... Least of all Officer Unfriendly.

Folks that go to OGC and enjoy it should continue to do so.

My problem is with the idea that it so AR friendly ... Which it's not, at least the times I go.

If a member posting wants to get my friend and I a refund for the shitty treatment we received last August, I will gladly change my tune.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
And the one time I did shoot there I would say that the black rifle is not unilaterally excepted there

The comment made to me was "Whatya need a gun like that for" with a douchebag look on his face
Have the staff there get rid of the "Elmah" mentality, maybe I might come back for one more try
That same staff member does the booth at some of the mwc gun shows once in a while

There isn't a "staff" at OGC.  People volunteer for range duty, volunteer for the gun shows.  Just like any other group of people, you're going to have jackasses.  

I've never heard any unkind words about my ARs, AK, HK91, etc.  It's been a long time since I've been out there and NOT seen a black rifle of some sort (on the occasions I've not been alone out there).

Same here.  

They also allow .50 BMG , and specifically address it in the rules.  So it's not like the leaders are all fudds.  

I coul rant about the stupid people (beyond stupid sometimes) I've seen as an RO, as I'm sure others could, but I won't generalize all public shooters as morons.  It's a numbers thing.  

There's no denying that OGC has a very nice facility and is worth the $85 a year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I think we ALL need to support these clubs (whichever ones)
if they go away they will NEVER be replaced.- land is too expensive, and shitbag neighbors would not allow it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Here, here!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#39]
checked out their website, I can't seem to find where it says how to become a member.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Just e-mail [email protected] and inquire!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, officer unfriendly wanted an excuse to get folks off the line and none of the other RSO's stood up to "tiny".

If your calling me a liar, go right ahead. If it makes you feel better about your club, so be it.

But your knowledge of BESA is quite outdated and it shows.

You have not been out to BESA in quite some time.
- membership has been open for over 5 years
- we built all new shooting houses for the 25/50/100 yrd ranges, 5 years ago
- there is a new rifle club house, 5 years ago

yupper... gave up on the dump 8... 9 years ago... glad to hear it is getting better... but the lame politics left a bad taste in my mouth...

not surprised it is easier to git in these days...

OGC is NFA friendly too...
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

e
They also allow members who LEGALLY own full autos to shoot them out there during non public hours.
Oakdale is also member owned.
I've been going out there for a good many years now and have never had a problem shooting my EBR, infact they have even done a couple of "info nights" on AR's in the classroom to show members who dont know much about them how easy they are to build.
Yes, there are some members that are asshats but you'll get that anywhere you have 20 or more people.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think we ALL need to support these clubs (whichever ones)
if they go away they will NEVER be replaced.- land is too expensive, and shitbag neighbors would not allow it.

Definitely a good way to look at it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#44]
oh, and no... i did not mean to call you a liar although i can see how it was read that way. i apologize!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top