Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:05:22 AM EDT
With the fair about to start I was curious what other Arfcomers like to do, eat, and see at the fair.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Corndogs, cheese curds, roasted corn, and tom thumb mini-donuts. We always go on opening day now...much better deals. Pre-buy game tickets if you can too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My family and I love the fair.  We go several times

What's not to like?  Tractors and machinery, food, animals, DNR, Wind Power and of course...watching the freaks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The Chocolate Chip Cookies are the shit
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Food and people watching

You see some weird ass folks at the fair.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Food and people watching

You see some weird ass folks at the fair.

Some friends and I counted Mauer vs Favre jerseys.  Also a modified version of slug-bug,  where you count Affliction/Ed Hardy/Tapout style shirts.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm split between
not haveing to go there for work anymore....
and porkchop on a stick
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
This Friday my favorite thing will be being at the RUSH concert!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Food.

Kids have fun at the animal barns and petting areas.

The MN Wine growers exhibits. <burp>

Dairy barn/building since it has AC.

We plan to hit them all again this year, but, I get nothing out of it really besides having fun with the family.

Although, I do like to chit-chat with the MN Bio-diesel crowd. One of their speakers is a big M1 Garand fanatic and we have swapped a few parts in the past. He was the one who told me about using Bio-diesel instead of kero-1 for "Ed's Red" cleaning solution.

Guy is so bio-diesel crazy, he even has a diesel running Polaris 4-wheeler.

The ethanol dike gives me night mares... she doesn't shave her armpits and is in desperate need of a new toothbrush. (she scared my kids last year... and the year before)

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The ethanol dike gives me night mares... she doesn't shave her armpits and is in desperate need of a new toothbrush. (she scared my kids last year... and the year before)

I have lived in Minnesota all 33 years of my life and have never been to the state fair, but if there is a dike that damn ugly, I have to go and see her.

I love to people watch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i really like to people watch. to laugh at the freaks / emo's and thugs, check out the hot chicks wearing skimpy clothes,

and i loved the grilled chicken breast on a stick 3 or 4 years ago.

but i havent been there since, because i cant stand that many smelly, retarded people in one location. get the fuck out of the way idiots!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The ONE thing to which I look forward where the MNSF is concerned are the deep-fried cheese logs...  

...that's right, cheese LOGS!

These things make cheese curds look exceedingly weak!  

They're so good, obtaining them demands absolute commitment to the cause...willingness to embark on a pilgrimage...a quest to find them.  

And when you do find them, you are richly rewarded.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The ONE thing to which I look forward where the MNSF is concerned are the deep-fried cheese logs...  

...that's right, cheese LOGS!

These things make cheese curds look exceedingly weak!  

They're so good, obtaining them demands absolute commitment to the cause...willingness to embark on a pilgrimage...a quest to find them.  

And when you do find them, you are richly rewarded.  

with diarrhea !
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't believe nobody mentioned Bacon on a Stick yet.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Lefse and lingon berry jam
Monster cinamon rolls
deep-fried pickles

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheese curds... DNR building... Machinery Hill... cheese curds... walking around with alcoholic beverages.

Going through the 4-H building is always fun, some of those kids come up with some pretty brilliant stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's not to like?  Tractors and machinery, food, animals, DNR, Wind Power and of course...watching the freaks.

Swing buy and say hello. 2P-12X everyday.

For me, it is Labor Day at midnight. I have not been there for fun in 8 years now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've never been to the state fair and never plan on going

it is so much fun and there is so much food
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]

ohhh i almost forgot. harassing the libtards at the DFL booth is damn entertaining.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been to the state fair and never plan on going

it is so much fun and there is so much food

and the food is SO expencive
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
That reminds me...stay tuned for a discussion thread in the MNHF in about a week or so!

Quoted:
ohhh i almost forgot. harassing the libtards at the DFL booth is damn entertaining.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bacon is not very good on a stick.  It's way too thick, too chewy.  I think bacon is better cut thinner with a little crisp.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing good comes of the fair. I will not go again.  Enjoy if it is your cup of tea
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
scotch eggs
australian potatoes
deep fried pickles
sweet martha's cookies
cheese curds (the booth that uses potato chips for the batter)
belgian waffle on a stick
mini donuts
lienie lodge

BOOBIES!!!!!!!!11111111OMGWTFBBQ!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bacon is not very good on a stick.  It's way too thick, too chewy.  I think bacon is better cut thinner with a little crisp.

Yeah, the bacon on a stick isn't so great.  I like my bacon on the chewier side, but the stuff on a stick is definitely cut way too thick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
maybe ill just make the girlfriend drive, so i can get completely loaded on beer, and harass the crowd

yeah, i could be "that guy"

but the cost of 6 dollar beers, hangover, and detox probably isnt worth it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
maybe ill just make the girlfriend drive, so i can get completely loaded on beer, and harass the crowd

I will totally join you if this happens

Maybe I'll take a dip in the pond at the DNR building...
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Beer, fried cheese, farm equipment, and mini skirts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Been there once like 18 years ago .  didnt impress me enought to to back.  in fact i didnt even co to our 2 local county fairs this year either.   and I hope you dont have to pay to see RUSH.. uugghh  i get a headache  just typing there name..
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#30]

The belgian waffle is my favorite

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Been there once like 18 years ago .  didnt impress me enought to to back.  in fact i didnt even co to our 2 local county fairs this year either.   and I hope you dont have to pay to see RUSH.. uugghh  i get a headache  just typing there name..

My fav band when I was in high school. Haven't seen them since the mid-80's.  To each his own.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong. If you aren't driving, then get hammered before you go. That way, you'll only need a few beers at the fair to keep the good times going.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#33]
You can get anything fried, and/or on a stick there. I'm sure the novelty will wear off rather quickly considering the vendors ridiculous pricing.

People watching is fun, but the MNSF cesspool is too concentrated with 'tards to make it at all enjoyable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#34]
A few hours is enough.  The novelty foods are usually over rated, but there are some must-haves: Cheese curds, a strawberry sundae at the dairy building, and a footlong chili dog, looking at some livestock and the 4H stuff, and I'm good.  

I work in downtown MPLS which offers the best girl watching in the state, so I don't need to spend time doing that at the fair...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#35]
1.  My Dad has been there every year since 1936 through this year (he missed it a couple of times during WWII).

2.  My brother has been there every year of his life (41 years).  

3.  I grew up near the Fair and as a teenager went there 3-4 times each year.  Also spent a lot of time on the grounds in the off-season, and learned to drive there.  

4.  I worked at the Skyride a couple of summers during college.  Shift was 8am-midnight every day of the Fair.  

5.  I don't think the Fair is as good as it was 25-30 years ago.  I remember it back before they served friend cheese curds.  Place was never the same after they removed the turn-of-the-century State Fair Merry-go-Round.  More crowded now, more vendors everywhere, little green space left un-exploited, and did I mention more crowded?  

6.  The classics: Peters hot dogs, Tom Thumb donuts, shakes and butter sculptures in the Dairy building, animal barns, Ag-Hort, Heritage Square, the Olde Mill, and the Skyride.  Too bad the old salt-water taffy vendor (one flavor!) is gone, and the Fair has only a few church dining halls left.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been there several times through the years, and always wondered what the attraction was.  unless you like to fight crowds and walk constantly.  I don't plan on going again anytime soon.  But...I don't care for crowds, either.

So, the things I DID like were the christian research booth; All the 4H stuff because some of it is really brilliant...I tried to convert a Musli to Christianity once, that was fun.  So, that's my short list.  You can see why I, personally don't go much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Every year Machinery Hill gets smaller. It's supposed to be farm / ag stuff, but instead it's hot tubs and vinyl siding......
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Every year Machinery Hill gets smaller. It's supposed to be farm / ag stuff, but instead it's hot tubs and vinyl siding......

This year they have rides up on the Hill now. Disappointing that with MN being a big Ag state they can't have some machinery there so the urbanites can get a look at that equipment.

BTW the Rush concert last Friday was amazing!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swing buy and say hello. 2P-12X everyday.

For me, it is Labor Day at midnight. I have not been there for fun in 8 years now.

I'll come by and say hello  
..anyone see that customized conversion van with a barber chair in it?  hahaha..   that face is because i dont have any hair..
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I was just out there, today. It was mighty packed with people. Got there around 8:30 this morning.

Checked out some of them old ass John Deere tractors and some of them old BIG 4's. It's amazing they still work.

I liked the food, Animals, And watching very pretty hot ladies, walking around.

We also rode on the open skyride from the NE corner, To the grandstand. We passed over a building, With a grey colored roof, Saw a few pairs of panties on the top.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Saw a few pairs of panties on the top.

I don't know if i like your attitude,  mister  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#43]

nevermind.......
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#44]
overdosing on those little doughnuts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top