Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT
Hey guys.  Does anyone know of an FAL smith in the south metro area?  I need to put a new barrel on my FAL, and don't have the tools / skills to do it myself.  If you know of anyone that can do this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion for south of 394 would be Territorial Gunsmithing 733 6th Ave South Hopkins, MN 952-931-9451 Randy Hengl [email protected] if you mean south of the river. Then I would suggest talking to Roger at Burnsville Pistol Range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to try J&S Custom guns in Lakeville.  I think he sells FAL suppressors, too.  Great, friendly service!

Seriously, though.  The barrel simply threads off the receiver.  You may be able to do it yourself.  I Put my FAL together from a parts kit in about 45 minutes total.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm quite familier with J&S, thank you very much!!  The only time I had good service was when I was all dressed up for a formal business meeting.  I must have looked like I had money, because the guy behind the counter was tripping over himself to try and help me!

So the barrel just threads off?  Do I need any kind of receiver block for this?  Also, what about head space.  I know very little about FAL's, but it seems to me that you need the correct diameter locking lug (?) for correct headspace on the rifle.

If this was an AR-15 I'd be OK!  If the darned FAL barrel hadn't gone and bulged on me, I'd be OK!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Your boot should be good enough for a barrel vice.  If the old barrel is ruined anyway, you can use a pipe wrench and some Kroil to loosen it up!  Threading it back on is the easy part.  

As far as headspace goes, you can use a .308 gauge or try to use a .308 round to see if it chambers and extracts correctly.  You may want to take the firing pin out of the bolt if you are using a live .308 round.

FYI, not a FAL armorer, nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ideally, a receiver wrench, a barrel vise ( I use a wrench on the barrel flats ) and .308 headspace gages. Problem is, you need to screw in and time the barrel and then get the pin diameter so you can order the right locking shoulder. Isn't really a quick deal, unless you have various locking shoulders, or happen to have the right one on hand.

I could help you out if I still lived in the Cites

Hope you get her running

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Wintermute knows more about this than I do.  He is a FALaholik!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Brad,

I"m coming down to the Metro this weekend now, but do you think I can find my receiver wrench? Hell no Was gonna say I could give you a hand, but now I need to find where that thing got put when I packed up the garage.

I'f I come across it yet today I"ll IM you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FYI, not a FAL armorer, nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express.

But you did play one on TV!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Wintermute:  Thanks for the offer.  I really appreciate it!  Sorry I didn't respond earlier, it was a busy weekend.

Brad
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#10]
ya dont happen to work in dakota county?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top