Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:44:25 PM EDT
Officer Shooting Update

No criminal charges will be filed against a narcotics officer involved in a shooting.

It happened on Main Street in Stewartville about two months ago.

Rochester Police Officer, Tracy Nepper was working with the Southeast Minnesota Narcotics Task Force while carrying out a search warrant.

Ray Schmitz says an third party investigation shows Nepper was moving her gun from one hand to the other when it discharged and hit a 21-year old woman.

Olmsted County Attorney, Ray Schmitz says, "She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately the weapon discharged."

Schmitz says based on evidence, officer Nepper did not shoot intentionally or recklessly as defined in Minnesota's law related to firearms.

He also says the woman who was shot, Andrea Ashley of Lake Mills, Iowa, has since fully recovered from her injuries.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:00:05 PM EDT
I wonder if they paid her medical bills, and pain and suffering, imotional distress?
OR, scared straight (away from drugs)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:12:45 PM EDT
Once you shoot it, you own it.
Not enough details in the story to crucify someone, but we can probably learn a few lessons from her if we think about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 4:23:36 PM EDT by twonami]

Originally Posted By MNnaloxone:
Once you shoot it, you own it.
Not enough details in the story to crucify someone, but we can probably learn a few lessons from her if we think about it.

keep the finger off the damn trigger
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:51:52 PM EDT
+1......keep the "booger hook" off the trigger!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:34:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TwistedMonkey:

WTF.......Booger hook?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:16:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 6:25:49 AM EDT by BigAKFan]

Originally Posted By TwistedMonkey:

I think I will use the term booger hooker aroung those I have made the term "booger hook" familiar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:42:29 AM EDT
So let's see, finger on trigger, weapon off safe while reaching for flashlight. That has NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE written all over it. Definitely worth a suspension and mandatory retraining.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:20:18 AM EDT
12 year old's that go through firearms safty training learn NEVER point a firearm at anything you dont intend to shoot all goes back to basic safty training that i bet a million dollars the police officer never went through........
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:

Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
So let's see, finger on trigger, weapon off safe while reaching for flashlight. That has NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE written all over it. Definitely worth a suspension and mandatory retraining.

The thing I think of regarding this is:
It was either a GLOCK, SIG or a REVOLVER... At least my COLT 1911 has AN ACTIVE SAFETY that would have prevented this even IF the finger was on the trigger...

Lesson #1: FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
Lesson #2: BUY A FIREARM WITH AN ACTIVE SAFETY. (Like a 1911)

Here endeth the lesson. Amen.

Not neccesarily...You assume that the safety was engaged. It should have been, but perhaps it was not. Though I'm sure it's not your intent to do so, you imply that a manual safety may take the place of proper trigger discipline. Of course you know it cannot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:16:19 AM EDT
Or put another way, when Naloxone Sr. taught Naloxone how to shoot-
"The only true safety is the one between your ears."
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MNnaloxone:
Or put another way, when Naloxone Sr. taught Naloxone how to shoot-
"The only true safety is the one between your ears."

I thought he said "Get Both!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:10:25 PM EDT
Due to the fact that it was a rochester PD they issue Glock 40's. So we all know what that means!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:39:39 PM EDT
I'm still trying to figure out the "booger hook" bullshit

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:50:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

What the hell do you pick your nose with Dan? Your big toe?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
I figure it is like shooting yourself in the hand with a Glock. Except someone else.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:01:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jakezor:

I just blow my nose, or if that piece of dried out snot is really stuck, I'll use a Q-tip

My fingers dont go up my nose
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:06:49 AM EDT

I just blow my nose, or if that piece of dried out snot is really stuck, I'll use a Q-tip

A chamber star on the end of a drill will clean out your snot locker.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:34:49 AM EDT

That is also because your fingers are 1" in diameter!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:13:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:15:00 AM EDT

Mostly I was just bragging & being one of the LAST HOLD-OUT COLT 1911 snobs (and I say it proudly ) on this board. I seem to be one of the last "converts" to combat-tactical-plastical-glizzock-tupperware.

We have to get busy and convert you
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:49:31 AM EDT

Mostly I was just bragging & being one of the LAST HOLD-OUT COLT 1911 snobs (and I say it proudly ) on this board. I seem to be one of the last "converts" to combat-tactical-plastical-glizzock-tupperware.

Not quite

Sometime next year I plan on picking up a bunch of frames and piecing together some 1911's, just for shits and grins..

Fitting slides to frames, fitting barrels and bushings to slides, doing the sear/hammer/disconnector/safety fitting...should be hours of fun. It'll probably cost less than a grand to do (including tools) for one, so if I do 3 or 4 out of it, I come out ahead...it'll take a lot longer, though.

Just picked up a Kimber Ultra Raptor..as my carry piece

Anyway...that was a total ND on the officer's part. Hell, if it was a G-lock, the safety is ON the bloody trigger, and cannot be disengaged unless the finger is on the trigger!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:17:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Not quite

Sometime next year I plan on picking up a bunch of frames and piecing together some 1911's, just for shits and grins..

Fitting slides to frames, fitting barrels and bushings to slides, doing the sear/hammer/disconnector/safety fitting...should be hours of fun. It'll probably cost less than a grand to do (including tools) for one, so if I do 3 or 4 out of it, I come out ahead...it'll take a lot longer, though.

Just picked up a Kimber Ultra Raptor..as my carry piece

Anyway...that was a total ND on the officer's part. Hell, if it was a G-lock, the safety is ON the bloody trigger, and cannot be disengaged unless the finger is on the trigger!

I'll have to check out that Ultra Raptor, thats the one I've been digging on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:46:32 PM EDT

I'll have to check out that Ultra Raptor, thats the one I've been digging on.

Next shoot we can get together at, you're more than welcome to try it out

This is literally the only bought-new 1911 I own, and it was NOT a bad buy for me. Considering I cringe if I spend more than $500 for one...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:20:25 PM EDT

I'm just saying that if the firearm had an active safety engaged it COULD (not necessarily WOULD) have prevented this matter. I love Glocks, Sigs, and Revolvers, and they are perfectly safe if you have proper firearms discipline. I also realize that anybody (even very experienced shooters) could once in a while make a slight mistake with handling a firearm.

I wouldn't put revolvers in the same categorey as Glocks or other SA type automatics, they are DA and generally have a much longer and harder trigger pull, unless they are tricked out for target shooting.

Before you get the G-Lock, you should check out the Springfield XD series. They have a grip safety and have more of a 1911 feel. I like the ergonomics of the XD 9 over the G17. They are both decent pistols and have many positives and negatives, so you should get both!
Top Top