Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Who has the best parts kits out there....?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm probably going to order from Copes Distributing (from the EE)

$125 gets you a handpicked Romanian numbers matching parts kit with a US fire control group.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I just asked in the BIY AK-47 section also, but I was looking at this kit.

It looks like it just needs a mag and a reciever...but what things look like to me are not always reality
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
OK folks, I have 2 kits, one amd65 and one rommy, also have one reciever, 2 rivet kits and I think I have a screw kit.
there is a site that has a 5 piece compliance set-hts,grip and butt stock for 59.
will check out when I get home tonight and post.
someone give me a call when this starts to go together and we build the toys.
Randy
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This site will give me a lot of opportunity to kill time:
AK Tutorial Page

Makes me want to build a pistol, too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing to remember is that builind an AK is like putting together yer kids swing set...Well maybe not that complicated. I have build 4 screw jobs in my garage using a 100% receiver from Arsenal, TX.
If you have a small drill press (or a very steady hand) a couple of taps, and a set of plans you can do one in a Saturday. Don't be scared of the evil AK, she isn't that hard of a bitch to break.  Hell, building AK's makes FALs look difficult.
Cheers.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Tapco has us comply parts, and for only 59 plus shipping not bad for all you get.
so like I said---- someone email me when we start this adventure!!!
[email protected]
OR
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
backinthegame, thats not an AK and it won't help you.

Here is a list of commonly available kits, prices and generally where to get them.

Romanian- AKM 16" fixed stock, usually real good shape interior wise.  Stocks might have nicks and dings.  Usually about $99 plus shipping.  Most matching numbers.  Uses standard AKM receiver.  Centerfire systems, copes distributing, DPH arms.

Hungarian- SA-85 16" fixed stock, usually real good shape interior wise.  Stocks might have nicks and dings.  About $179 plus shipping.  Most matching numbers.  Uses standard AKM receiver.  Centerfire systems.

Polish- AKMS 16" underfolder kit.  Some what used shape but very usable condition.  Same basic description as above, uses akm type receiver.$200-269 ish.  dph arms, gunthings (mn company), dans ammo.

Yugo- 16" underfolder or fixed stock.  Most are in bad barrel shape as the yugo's didn't chrome line thier barrels back then and use corrosive ammo.  Most of these will not look pretty but will shoot just fine.  The key is strong rifling and a good muzzle end, but you never know what you will get!  Requires a Yugo RPK type receiver from NODAKSPUD. $100-179ish.  Centerfire or other ee members.

All of these kits will require you to purchase 6 US parts.  Generally they are receiver, fire control (3parts), gas piston, and muzzle device (mostly slant brakes for originality).  You can also find US stock sets (3parts) and magazine floor plates and followers.  Most go with the first 6 I listed.

Brick

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Just throwing this out as a potential supplier for a group buy.

Harlan from the old FAC is still playing with guns: NodakSpud

He offers quantity breaks, and custom serial #'s (I call MN AR15.com #1)

Here's the link for the local Polish underfolder kits: Gun Things (Plymouth)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The receivers from NoDak Spud look nice.  I'd be in for one or two.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just throwing this out as a potential supplier for a group buy.

Harlan from the old FAC is still playing with guns: NodakSpud

He offers quantity breaks, and custom serial #'s (I call MN AR15.com #1)

Here's the link for the local Polish underfolder kits: Gun Things (Plymouth)

That underfolder kit from the guy in Plymouth looks nice.  Does that kit plus a receiver then satisfy thge need for 6 US sourced parts, or do you have to swap out parts in that kit to be legal?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The kit as picutured does not contain any US parts. So you would still need to shell out for the H/T/S, piston, and pistol grip or whatever you want.

Brad over at GunThings is a good guy to deal with. I bought my first FAL kit from him several years back, hell it cost me $125 with wood grips for a G1 kit.

Good Luck,

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
You must swap out parts.  The receiver only counts as 1 part.

Brick
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Legal question.  Upon reading the AK buildup link posted above, I have a couple questions about making your own receivers.

1) I noticed there are a couple kits, one which requires bending and one which requires cutting the holes.  I assume sine these things are not ready to go "receivers" they are not a firearm according to the BATF.  Of course once you bend or cut, they are.  What are the legal ramifications of doing this?  You have to put a serial number on?  You have to register yourself as a manufacturer?  Not Legal?  

2) I work with a machine shop on a regular basis that could take an AutoCAD drawing and easily turn it into metal.  If they deliver me a finished receiver, what are the legal implications of doing this?

3) Finish question:  if you build your own receiver, what's the preferred finish?  Black paint?  Other?  

If these questions prompt discussion of illegal activities, I apologize to the mods in advance.  This is a case of "I don't know" and I'm curious
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Legal question.  Upon reading the AK buildup link posted above, I have a couple questions about making your own receivers.

1) I noticed there are a couple kits, one which requires bending and one which requires cutting the holes.  I assume sine these things are not ready to go "receivers" they are not a firearm according to the BATF.  Of course once you bend or cut, they are.  What are the legal ramifications of doing this?  You have to put a serial number on?  You have to register yourself as a manufacturer?  Not Legal?  

2) I work with a machine shop on a regular basis that could take an AutoCAD drawing and easily turn it into metal.  If they deliver me a finished receiver, what are the legal implications of doing this?

3) Finish question:  if you build your own receiver, what's the preferred finish?  Black paint?  Other?  

If these questions prompt discussion of illegal activities, I apologize to the mods in advance.  This is a case of "I don't know" and I'm curious

If you make your own receiver...it's your own gun, no "Registration" required....stamp it with a name and serial number (or electro-pencil, etc) and presto...your own gun. I know it works with long arms...a little fuzzy on handguns, but I think it's perfectly legal for them, too (i.e. an %80 1911 receiver can be turned into a handgun)

FA and other NFA controlled arms are a no-no without registration, of course...and you can't register new FA stuff.

Basically, if you bend and weld and drill and whatnot a flat piece of metal into an AK receiver, you're good to go.

Now..doing all of that and then selling it makes you a manufacturer, which requires the SOT and other licensing from the ATF...so, don't sell it

You can always ask likemopar as well, I'm sure he'll clear things up

I think there's a vauge limit as to how many you can make per year but I am not sure....

But, yah, no worries on making your own out of stock. The ATF just doesn't want people cranking out receivers and then selling 'em, mainly. If you crank out 20 receivers and throw 'em on a shelf for your future personal enjoyment, they really don't have much a problem with that I don't think....of course, this means you don't use em to rob banks, hold up stagecoaches, threaten the tax collector, or use them to shoot sattelites out of space

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok I gotta do this while I'm all fired up.

These are 2 Yugo builds that I have going on.  The one on the bottom is mine.  I have it mostly half assed assembled for some checks for fit and so on.  I did have to do some reworking to get my rear trunion to work with the reciever but its all good.   The top one worked out very well with fitment, so I think mine might have been a fluke oddball kit since both kits are about the same and both recievers are the same.  Hell, they are only 5 numbers apart in sequence.  Putting mine together was pretty much and experiment, which mad the other work out fairly easy.  Picked up a few tricks here and there that made some things much easier.  These should be all nice and hot blued within the next couple of weeks and ready for take off.   Or maybe while they are stripped down I can "Hussein" them out and gold plate them  bad boys!.  

I have had fun building these regardless of what obstacles I ran into.  It WAS much easier the second time around, thats for sure.  I would like to do another or maybe more and would be willing to help out anyone any way that I can.  So I'm still up for a group buy if someone can get something going.  That not one of my strong points.

I'll get finished pics too when I have them blued.  If they come out pretty nice maybe I can get a group deal on some hot bluing if anyone would be interested.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Looking good.  Where did you get your receivers?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ok I gotta do this while I'm all fired up.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/FiveseveN_USG/DualingAKs.jpg

Snip..

COOL!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Looking good.  Where did you get your receivers?

The Yugo Recievers can be ordered and shipped to your FFL from here

www.nodakspud.com
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#21]
dpmmn's right with the link.  They are the NDS-4 model.  Basically the first one on the reciever page.  Very nice quality.  I wonder if they would be willing to give the quantity discounts on mix match recievers.  Such as 3 underfolders and 3 fixed stock recievers for $80.  If we get a build going I think I'm going to do a fixed stock.  

Unfortunately for some reason, where we got our recievers from the price went up, and I doubt we could get a group discount on them.   So if we could get them right from D.C. Industrties that would be the best.  I don't know how that really works though as far as paying and getting them to an FFL.  I havn't had to do it yet so I am unsure.  I'm sure someone on here could help us out without taking an arm and leg.  

The one issue im debating is the handguards.  I cant decide if I want to refinish them.  They have some dents and marks and I would like them to look a little better.  Not perfect, just better.  The thing with the Yugo kits is that the handguards are longer than most other AK hanguards, (I compared them to the ones on my dads Romanian SAR-1 and confirmed this.) so finding replacements might be difficult.  Might have to try steaming out the dents.  Two people have told me this works to an extent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone is interested in a Group Buy on AK recievers from DCI, I will try and work something out with one of the local dealers that I do a lot of business with. I will see if we can get the transfer fee knocked down somewhat on this

Contact me by phone  if you have my number or by IM
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If anyone is interested in a Group Buy on AK recievers from DCI, I will try and work something out with one of the local dealers that I do a lot of business with. I will see if we can get the transfer fee knocked down somewhat on this

Contact me by phone  if you have my number or by IM

Do we have a place and a willing "Teacher" to put them together yet?  I want in, but don't have the place or the know how to build it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
[

Do we have a place and a willing "Teacher" to put them together yet?  I want in, but don't have the place or the know how to build it.

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have no problem helping out fellow Arfcomer's with a build.   As far as place goes thats up in the air.  The one thing I lack that I need is a good quality drill press.  This is essential for getting the old stuff apart and preparing it for the new.  With the two builds I have going on now I was able to bring them into work and put them on the mill in my spare time without anyone really noticing.  Now if I brought in over a dozen to work on that may be an issue.  

There is also the question of how you want to assemble it.  You can do it the traditional way and use rivets which requires somewhat of a special tool.  Or you can screw it together which is what I am doing with the two I am working on.  I may have these done this weekend so I'll post pics if anyone want's to see how they look with button head machine screws and the hot bluing.

The build would more then likely have to be split.  One day for disassembly and another for assembly.  In between would be when they get coated.   It looks like there will be some lead time before we can get this kicked into gear so there is no real rush gang.  It  should give everyone a chance to decide what they want to do and give dpmmn some time to get a deal with the recievers.  The parts kits might have to revolve around the receivers.  We'll see.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#27]

There is also the question of how you want to assemble it. You can do it the traditional way and use rivets which requires somewhat of a special tool. Or you can screw it together which is what I am doing with the two I am working on. I may have these done this weekend so I'll post pics if anyone want's to see how they look with button head machine screws and the hot bluing.

Just FYI:

Link to thread re:another type of fastener

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I am up to a AK BUY!!!  anybody build one fer me?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I orderd a yugo kit from centerfire today.  I'm up to 6 kits that I need receivers for.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Thats a cool conecpt with those fasteners.  I had never even heard of them before.  But its something to take into consideration.  I found a couple of ways to do things better on the second build, but am always looking for more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thats a cool conecpt with those fasteners.  I had never even heard of them before.  But its something to take into consideration.  I found a couple of ways to do things better on the second build, but am always looking for more.

I’m I little skeptical of them.  What keeps them from backing out over time since they are not expanding when driven in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I’m I little skeptical of them.  What keeps them from backing out over time since they are not expanding when driven in.

Good point.  I wouldn't mind trying them anyways and actually seeing how they hold up first hand.  Sometimes its just trial and error to see what works.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The one thing I lack that I need is a good quality drill press.  This is essential for getting the old stuff apart and preparing it for the new.  

What constitutes a "good quality" drill press in this context?

P.S.  I want to do this-I'm considering two
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#35]
One down.  One to go.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
One down.  One to go.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/FiveseveN_USG/DansAK003s.jpg

Range report Saturday afternoon
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
One down.  One to go.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/FiveseveN_USG/DansAK003s.jpg

Looks nice!!!!!
If I can secure the extra funds, I might be in for a reciever on a group buy. I would have to do the build at a later date though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Looking Good!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#39]
A guy used those u-drive screws and had a few thousand rounds through his rifle without any of them loosening.  A bit of loctite wouldn't hurt.  And there is almost no force pushing them out.  Any force is against the shaft not with the shaft.  I've ordered up a few kits lately and getting some more.  I'd be in for the group reciever buy if it happens in the near future.  I'd be in for the build if I could make it as well.  I got a good bench top drill press I could bring along.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Cool underfolder, Cat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Finally got mine done.  I can finally clear off my workbench.  Then take on another project of course.

I took a close up of the receiver to show how well the bluing came out.  I'm very pleased with it.

And one of the stock.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Finally got mine done.

I want one! I want one!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Ordered Polish underfolder parts kit just moments ago. Thanks for the help..!

PS      UPS needs some StarTrek "beam me a brown box" service, so I can have my stuff NOW...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#44]
like i said before, i am interested in a build, especially an underfolder.  if anyone gets an extra DCI underfolder receiver and wanna trade lemme know.  i have a stripped DPMS AR15 lower that i don't need anymore, maybe we can do a swap....

Craig
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I would like to get in on a group build also, I just bought a Polish underfolder kit from SG. Now I need to get together the cash for a receiver and the US compliant parts. Probably a few weeks off.

Don
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
My Yugo underfolder kit from centerfire systems showed up today.  The wood is beat up, but otherwise it's nice and all the numbers match.

I didnt feel like laying all the parts out for the pic, they are heavily cosmolined.

There is an old Transformers sticker on the upper handgaurd.  Makes me wonder about this rifles history.

It's joining my collection of other kits and ak stuff for now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey DPMMN... ya got a screw loose!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hey DPMMN... ya got a screw loose!

Shhhhhhhhhh    the AK doesn't know that it fell out
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My Yugo underfolder kit from centerfire systems showed up today.....  

All good things come to those who wait,.....three to five business days...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking at picking up an underfolder, too...  Recommend a Polish or a Yugo one
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top