Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 9:41:59 AM EDT
I am considering adding my first .223 AR to my collections (already have a DPMS .308 AR) and I need a little direction.....

I have pretty much settled on a heavy barrel that will allow me to put a scope on top or use the peep sights (probably a flat top with removeable handle). I would like a 20 to 24" barrel, stainless). Regular stock. Added sight block on front for a post site when using the peep site (can you use a spare gas block with picatinny rail on the front?).

First to I want to build or buy finished? As a hobby a number of years ago I built 1911 style guns for use in IPSC & Pin shooting. Built some muzzleloader and slicked up actions on single action rugers. So I am not a novice to gun work, just never worked with the Semi-Auto
Chuckers in rifles before.

Next, who should I look at for parts? I have been leaning toward DPMS cause they are located in Becker and close. Any thoughts there would be helpful?

Finally if I go the "build" route what is the $100 federal fee and who do you pay it to and when?

My ultimate goal is to end up with a rifle I can use for paper punching and occasional varmint hunting using a scope, then pop off the scope attach the handle and front site and set up for military matches they have locally. So I need something that will meet both requirements.

Would love to hear your thoughts....

Thanks... DonT
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:29:47 PM EDT
Hey Don I would go with a 20' A3. I built one this summer saved a couple hundred bucks doing it myself.
Get milspec parts. Do you have a DPMS catalog?
Or I would suggest maybe getting a hold of a Shotgun news trying to locate, Kieslers has a good selection. Call dsspro he can get the stuff for you.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:58:42 AM EDT
AFAIK You don't have to pay FET if you build for yourself.

If you order from DPMS you could specify a rail on the gas block.

All depends. I bought pre built upper because I don't have the tools to correctly and safely assembly one. Plus I was concerned about how to adjust headspacing.

I bought a lower with most of the parts installed because I am lazy. I slapped a grip, buffer tube and stock on it though.

DPMS does have a rep at the gunshow going on today and tommorrow.
Top Top