Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/11/2003 7:17:54 PM EDT
I was wondering if any of you know how bad the West Nile virus has spread into MN this year?

The cemetery I work at has TONS of black crows that reside in the area, they hunt, eat, & live there... In the early spring I saw one kill another during a fight (I'm guessing territorial reasons), but that wasn't a problem to me. What I'm wondering about is the fact that we've had Crows dying left & right recently. We've sent some off to the University of MN for testing (to check for the virus) but didn't get results back yet. Earlier this spring our dead crow results came up negative...

This recent rash of dying crows has me wanting to start wearing bug spray. All summer long I haven't worn any bug spray because I've been bitten so many times by the bloodsuckers at the cemetery that it seems I'm almost immune to them, and rarely feel it.

Do any of you guys know how bad MN has been hit by the West Nile Virus though?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:59:55 PM EDT
Well, I'm still not sure if it's West Nile, but we found 2 more dead crows in the cemetery today... One was alive earlier this morning in section 36, but was too sick to fly away (just sat there trying to bite anyone who got too close), and died by lunch time. The other was found dead in section 23.

Kind of intersting...
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 2:13:20 PM EDT
Wisconsin had someone diagnosed with it this week in Fond du Lac.
http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/local_11723756.shtml
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:45:49 PM EDT
Sir
I'm not too worried about West Nile Virus. West Nile is a strain of encephalitis, and is related to the La Crosse and St. Louis encephalitis strains which have been in this part of North America since, well, we knew what a virus was.

If your interested the Center for Disease control has a web page with everything you never wanted to know about West Nile at cdc.gov.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:57:22 PM EDT
Alright, Seeing as this thing won't let me edit my post above I'll do it here.

The propper link to the CDC's web page is www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/

Also I'd like to add, my opinion above is if your relativly young and in good health.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:12:51 PM EDT
I seen a dead crow on the sidewalk today, is that what killed it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:36:34 AM EDT
Dead crows are one of the most common victims of West Nile. However, in this time of year they have high death rates also due to territorial fighting, and draught. On monday I found 3 more dead crows, and management is REQUIRING us to all wear DEET bug spray now. I think this is a STRONG indicator that the tests came back positive for West Nile. According to the news, there have been 48 cases of West Nile in MN thus far, no deaths yet. Gotta go to work now...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:35:40 PM EDT
if nobody has died yet i wouldn't worry about it. i bet a few hundred have died from slipping in the shower..you don't have safety rails is the shower do you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:46:04 PM EDT
I live in Ennis,Texas.. a fairly small country town south of Dallas, Texas...we've had two confirmed deaths last week of west nile...the city is spraying the town as I type this to try and deter anymore casualties hopefully...and its Blue Jays that are dieing around here...if any are noticed dead or dieing they are sent to Austin for testing...and the city has recommended "DEET" to be used if outside at all...

jackpot
Top Top