Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/1/2003 10:39:18 AM EDT
This past thursday I purchased a NIB Mossberg 500 Pump Shotgun. One employee sees me entering gunshop on my lunch break, and walk out with big box. Tells MGR that I have a gun in the trunk of my car.

Nobody mentions a thing to me good or bad about it. Today I get to work, and one employee says management is making all employees sign a weapons policy. No guns, ammo, knives, mace, etc. are allowed for employees to bring to work. Yet they provide us with poison, chainsaws, hatchets, and axes to do our job, and ALSO they GIVE the year-round employees Gerber Multi-plier knives to use at work!

I have a roommate in my APT who I didn't quite trust around BOTH my guns & ammo, so I keep (most of) my ammo in the trunk of my car so as not to leave guns and ammo together in my apt near my roommate, his GF, and the many girls they often bring to my apt.

I reluctantly signed the policy change, and went home on my lunch break to take the ammo out of my car, called into work and took the rest of the afternoon off (sort of). This story gets more compounded, and worse, but I refuse to write anything more about it online.

Let's just say I'll be contacting my lawyers about this issue as well.

Man, I'm PISSED OFF.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:45:40 AM EDT
You should tell him to go to hell
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:33:49 PM EDT
Well I think I had better throw my .02 cents in on this one. Maybe I'm right....maybe I'm wrong,
but here it goes.
The company I work for does not allow any weapons on Company property.......even though, some knives are overlooked<eg> buck tools, leathermans and Gerber multi-tools, the main thing is firearms, personally, I like that idea, do you REALLY KNOW THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH? there are a few where I work that I wouldn't trust with the neighbors dog let alone a rifle or a pistol. My checkbook and mortgage payment are pretty dependent on that weekly paycheck that I get from there, I guess that outweighs the need or the urge to carry a weapon to work in my vehicle. My suggestion would be to get a different roommate or buy a safe to keep the toys in. The trunk of a car really don't seem safe to me, whenever I bring the "guns" out to shgoot and I have to stop somewhere, I always get that feeling that car can be stolen easier than a safe can get brought out of my front door. Needless to say I dont take my eyes off of my truck for very long when I am not in it.SO if you want to be all Pissed off and quit your job over this I guess that's your right, but take a good look at Minnesota unemployment rate before you do, I am sure there are a 1000, guys out there that would do your job with out wanting to bring their guns or ammo to work to keep in the car.

For what it's worth
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:37:21 PM EDT
INa ....I didn't know you had posted this untill I submitted my reply, I don't mean to come down to hard on you but jobs are tuff right now..........and its not really worth the headaches

Dan
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:57:23 PM EDT
Well, after contacting my lawyers, I have taken light action on this issue. In order to comply with the company policy, I have decided to keep my guns & ammo at my apartment.

I have just drilled my roommate and his GF on firearm safety for the past three hours, and they seemed to have shown DRASTIC improvement in their safe handling of firearms. I went to the funshop, and bought a handful of firearm locks (loop-style gun padlocks). I have put them in all my guns except my handgun (which has its own locking mechanism I'm using). I have stored away my ammunition in my closet buried beneath my SHTF/BOB gear (which needs reorganizing soon).

I will no longer be parking my car on the premises, and will be parking it at an acquaintance's house (right nearby) whose wife can keep a watchful eye over it at all times. When my CCW is approved (and am able to carry), I can then lock my handgun in the glove box during work, and I'll still have it for my trip to/from work.

I still have the job too! You're right about the job market right now, I only got the job because of a good reference from a friend who worked with a different part of the company.

It's strange because the company has taken such a strict stance on the MPPA/CCW and its new weapons policy that they're no longer allowing their employees to bring a pocket knife for misc tasks at work! That's so strange in my opinion since they furnished them as gifts to permanent employees every year prior to that, and they frequently let us work with axes, hatchets, pick axes, chainsaws, and other dangerous things too...

I'm just glad that my roommate finally let me sit him & his GF down for a long safety training afternoon. I had to focus on his GF a bit more carefully than him (he had caught on quite well). The reason I focused on his GF wasn't due man's tendency of eyes to drift. It was due to the fact that her handling skills needed improvement after she accidentally pointed the barrel of my shotgun at my balls while checking if it was unloaded. After a while she got the handling and basic operations stuff down pretty well. I'd trust them enough to take them shooting again now, but don't have the $$ to take them to a range yet.

I'm really proud of how quickly they've caught onto the basics of safety though (which shouldn't have surprised me, they're college kids). I think we'll have fun when we actually do get out to a shooting range though!

I'm just glad my employment issues were settled, and I have a nice evening to relax now...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:32:32 PM EDT
your story pisses me off.

first, of all, the "rat" at work who thought he, or she, was a "do - gooder" by telling upper management that you had a gun, should, in my very humble opinion, KEEP THE F*CK OUT OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS

second, if you don't trust you loser roommate with your guns, get a safe, or better yet,GET RID OF THE SON OF A BITCH AS A ROOMMATE!

and you took the rest of the afternoon off. is this "bothering" some people at your work? if so, tell them to ,F*CK OFF!

why is it that a pro gun, hard working man should feel guilty of buying a firearm on his lunch hour?

he shouldn't! after all, it's your lunch hour
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:48:09 PM EDT
On 12/31/1999 I went to work with an SKS full of Steel Core, a 44 mag and a 380.

I worked 4pm to 1am. So I was going to get off 1 hr after "The end of the world" Y2K...

My company had (I don't work there any more) a strict (BS) weapons policy. OK, Fine, I can park on the street tonite.

Side note: The company lot was very empty that night - wonder how many others made simular choices.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:36:23 AM EDT
Doesn't the MPPA state that you can lock a fire arm in your trunk in the parking lot of ANY establishment?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 9:33:44 AM EDT by dpmmn]
I do believe that company policy overrules in some cases....... REMEMBER THEY HAVE THAT PAYCHECK No paycheck = nagging wife and then you'll probably end up selling the AR's for mortgage/rent payments and worse yet her habbits......why push it with the place you work at.

Dan
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:12:04 AM EDT
I would never break company rules or speed on the innerstate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:35:44 PM EDT
I take my pistols to work and clean them in the ultra-sonic cleaner. I'm also building a AR lower from scratch at work. Last month I made parts for FN's M240B. [url]http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/mg_m240b.htm[/url] sucks to be you,......hahaha [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:09:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
I do believe that company policy overrules in some cases....... REMEMBER THEY HAVE THAT PAYCHECK No paycheck = nagging wife and then you'll probably end up selling the AR's for mortgage/rent payments and worse yet her habbits......why push it with the place you work at.

Dan

You might have a point.... shit.....I never thought to question the policy at work....I work with better weapons than I can carry in....Thought it was kinda silly when they banned them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2003 10:20:08 PM EDT by inferno715]
i would have refused to sign the policy.

we talked about this issue a lot where i used to work and most people said they would demand a police officer with a warrant before they'd let someone search their vehicle. i know a few people who have had weapons in their cars...
even 2 NG guys had their M16's one day (loaded) when they stopped by while working at the airport after 9/11.

if they kept pushing this crap on you i would make up some kind of letter ensuring that you will be safe at your job, etc and have the management sign it. no chance in hell they would of course.

i bet those policy's save a whole lot of lives..what a joke.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:41:32 AM EDT
Hey,
this is a Minnesota fourm, all of you out of state posers can stay out of the disscusion. If your life is so boring that you need to check out every fourm on this sight I pitty you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:26:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/4/2003 4:27:42 PM EDT by 100w_warlock]
Ok, here is one for you.

the company I work for has its headquarters in San Francisco, CA. But, has several branch offices in denver, dallas, ..etc and other places where there is CCW laws on the books.

When one of the loonie leftie nazi's from work made a stink about it to the HR person, who happens to vote republican on every ballat, she did something really smart and checked with the head office. Their policy is quite clear. No firearms on company property. Communal (non company owned) parking lots are covered under the state law, which trumps company policies. So, the decision was made to simply send out a reminder to all the employees in the facility and leave it at that. no sign!!!

Anyhow, I can have a firearm in the trunk of my car on public parking lots, but, not in a company facility.

If you want to see something funny, swing by United Defense in Fridley. They make _REALLY BIG GUNS_ there on site, but, have a no guns sign out front. Even the front desk clerk laughs his ass off about it...

Seriously though, if your company has a policy guide, look through it.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:43:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:26:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MNCop:
Hey,
this is a Minnesota fourm, all of you out of state posers can stay out of the disscusion. If your life is so boring that you need to check out every fourm on this sight I pitty you.

Hey cop, where do you work? I'll make sure I stay the fuck out of your jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/4/2003 8:44:07 PM EDT by Defcon]

Originally Posted By MNCop:
Hey,

Someone may not have gotten enough hugs from mommy and daddy as a child.

MNCop, lighten up. There are no fence posts to pee on around here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:09:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Anyway, that coworker is an evil little puss I'd remember that little trick and get him/her back later.

I've found out WHO the rat was. And I have a strategy to get him back, but I'm not sure how to go about getting him to confess... If I could get him to confirm on of my (likely valid) suspicions he'd wind up in prison VERY fast... Would like to see him arrested for such a horrible act if he's doing what I think he's doing to women/society. I'll keep my mouth shut about that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:18:29 PM EDT
My employer has the same policy. I can tell you one thing though, if I won't let a cop rummage through my car I'm sure as hell not letting some unarmed corporate security monkey do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:23:38 PM EDT
When I have firearms in my vehicle with a plan of go the range after work, I have found that keeping my mouth shut about them and going about my buisiness is the best policy. There is no sense in flashing them around or talking about all the "iron" you're packing in the trunk. The people that use a carry permit to show off or get into "make my day" situations are going to ruin it for all of us. We need to police ourselves.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:48:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mnblaster:
When I have firearms in my vehicle with a plan of go the range after work, I have found that keeping my mouth shut about them and going about my buisiness is the best policy. There is no sense in flashing them around or talking about all the "iron" you're packing in the trunk. The people that use a carry permit to show off or get into "make my day" situations are going to ruin it for all of us. We need to police ourselves.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with what you've said. They technically didn't ever "ask" me if I had guns in my car. They went pretty much on what my co-worker said.

If I carry concealed, NOBODY knows. Period. Whether or not I'll abide by the company's policy is unforseen. My concealment rig is VERY hard to detect. Family members, and other close friends haven't "fingered" my CCW rig, and I doubt they ever will.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:41:39 AM EDT
iNuhBaDNayburhood, any chance that nobody told management anything and the no weapons memo is just a coincidence?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 2:18:31 PM EDT by iNuhBaDNayburhood]
Nope. DEFINITELY not coincidence. With the new CCW Laws, I heard they'd post signs about no carrying on premises starting in august. Was asked by Management if I had bought a gun recently, and if I was getting my CCW Permit, I responded affirmatively. Was later told by a coworker that management hastily put together an ANTI-CCW regulation earlier than planned (due to my affirmation of desire to get CCW).

I don't really care though. The rules of this new weapons policy are such Bull-SH!T that they're STILL issuing new knives to permanent employees. All employees are still bringing their knives to work, some bringing hatchets, etc... I believe this will wind up being a "What they don't see won't hurt 'em" kind of thing for me. I've pretty much decided that I still might carry if issued CCW Permit.

I've gotten to the point that I've seen this new weapons policy has been abused in so many other ways by other employees, and technicality BS that I just don't care about the policy anymore. Maybe it will stop me from carrying on work grounds, maybe it won't. I'm not going to divulge any information about anything anymore.

So basically:

Inevitably was going to happen ===============> Yes
Coincidence that it came out 1 month early ===> Almost definitely NOT
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
a few responses.
mncop: what's your ori? mine is 44, ease up on the outstaters.
to all posters: please don't come down hard on cops now due to mncops post. some of us appreciate the potential backup that ccw's provide. i work with one other partner who at best is ten-fifteen minutes out at code 3 and if the shtf and a ccw happens by, thank god.
innuh: i know it seems crappy, but consider the other side of the situation that the company is on. if there was a slim chance that a person at your workplace decided to go nuts and blast everybody, wouldn't you want to know? maybe the "snitch" was thinking about the safety of the other employees as well. i know it sounds far-fetched, but if you saw a person entering your workplace with a firearm (with non-law abiding purposes in mind), wouldn't you take action? i know you would. the "snitch" did his or her part, on his or her own behalf without knowing your intentions, unfortunately. not to say that the deed was right or wrong, but something was done. there seems to be a very light trigger pull on the "terrorist alert" gun these days and that person thought that he or she was doing the right thing. just playing devil's advocate here. i guess if the company had a policy, you should abide by it and in the meantime, look for another job that allows you to carry, if you feel that it is something that you want to do on a daily basis. don't let the company fire you for violating a company policy, it wouldn't look good on a reference check, trust me. especially when a firearm is involved.
btw: didja get a good price on the mossy?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:40:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By b910:
<SNIP>
mncop: what's your ori? mine is 44, ease up on the outstaters.
<SNIP>
some of us appreciate the potential backup that ccw's provide.
<SNIP>
btw: didja get a good price on the mossy?

MN Cop was just behaving like many Cops I know. Ticket the out-of-staters. Nothing wrong with that. Don't take that post to heart, he didn't mean much by it.

I know my brother wouldn't mind some help from a CCWer too... Being a cop outnumbered in the middle of nowhere on a country road isn't a good thing, and all help is appreciated.

I got the Mossy 500 for $230. Came with pistol grip, heat shield, and 8 round mag tube (20" barrel). I added folding stock, and side- saddle shell holder (both total cost only $60 on sale at Ahlman's, but was limited time-only sale). My brother likes it so much he wants to bring it to his next qualification shoot! I think that after I blast a bunch of rounds out of it with FedGunner at the next MN shoot (which I think we should all organize another one soon) I'll be satisfied enough to leave my new toy with my brother for a while...

I think that's a good deal, but I'm happy as heck with my new toy, and its setup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:29:24 PM EDT
Ok, some of you people took what I posted the wrong way. I am in support of the new ccw law and I am glad that folks can protect themselves. What I was trying to say was that with the iffy nature of the new law, people should not instigate. A few new additions next session could change things so ccw holders need to play by the rules. The majority of people telling Minnesota people to blow off the restrictions of the ccw law were from other states. We need to have these discussions among ourselves. Be wise and don't give the anti- gun folks a reason to change the law back.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:25:30 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what companies, besides small family owned companies and companies that would require them, that do not have a policy against guns on company property?

I personally would of waited after work before going to a gun shop to buy a gun on company hours, even lunch-time, and take it back to work with me. You never know who will be watching you; like a fellow employee who hangs around gun shops just to watch you put a new shotgun in your trunk.

Try setting this a$$hole up. Get a realistic looking toy gun and arrange it so this other employee sees you putting it in your car and wait to see if your employer confronts you about it. Show your employer the toy gun and tear a new a$$hole out of that "rat" and let the whole company know who it is. Even if other employers may agree that you shouldn't have a gun on company property, nodody likes some rat-fink.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:09:13 PM EDT
those damn out of staters..oops!

i wasn't saying to carry on the job..just that i would not have signed the policy and that i have had weapons in my trunk when i stopped by to pick up my check. of course i didn't tell anyone and i think that this is common as a lot of people in MN/WI are hunters.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:58:05 PM EDT
My work is anti gun, and it really pisses me off. I work contract for a medical device firm here in the cities, the place is crawling with lefties. I nearly lost my job earlier this year because some asshole was "offended" by one of my Armalite or Bushmaster catalogs. These bastards have declared a silent war on me by trying to influence management and using HR to try to get rid of me. I have interviewed to become a full time employee, I will find out soon how much pull they had...
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:04:11 AM EDT
how do you get fired for a catalog? that would suck..i can't see how they could do that unless it was a porn catalog. good luck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:26:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By inferno715:
how do you get fired for a catalog? that would suck..I can't see how they could do that unless it was a porn catalog. good luck.

I was warned by a friend that these people were pissed, later that day we had a group meeting about violence in the workplace and what can be defined as a threat (catalog). These people don't like the fact that I am on the right of the political spectrum and collect guns. Once someone at a company doesn't like you they have the cowards tool to do their bidding-Human Resources. HR can do anything. In my opinion, they are mentally qualified to drool and do little more. But they could shitcan me in a heartbeat.

I'll start a new thread if I get hired or fired in the next week or two...
Top Top