Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Mary Lou Marzian is famous for them. You can count on two or three from her on every gun bill. She is really very proud of them. Today she said she does it to point out the stupidity of the bills. Well, she points out stupidity, but not of the bills.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its about damn time

its been a real shame that  our state as progun as it is.  has went this long without passing this when even wv  did it years ago
View Quote
Maybe, Ky. isn't as progun as we used to be. We keep electing more and more of these crazy liberals. Why do you think that is?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe, Ky. isn't as progun as we used to be. We keep electing more and more of these crazy liberals. Why do you think that is?
View Quote
When Amazon brought their call center to Winchester I was seeing California plates for months. That might have something to do with it. Also Lexington and Louisville need to be shut down and moved to another state.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When Amazon brought their call center to Winchester I was seeing California plates for months. That might have something to do with it. Also Lexington and Louisville need to be shut down and moved to another state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, maybe all these out-of-staters have thinned the pro-gun population. Just my point. Ky may not be as pro-gun as it used to be, no matter whether the population is native or imported. Jefferson and Fayette Cos. are a mess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, maybe all these out-of-staters have thinned the pro-gun population. Just my point. Ky may not be as pro-gun as it used to be, no matter whether the population is native or imported. Jefferson and Fayette Cos. are a mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Louisville needs to be washed clean by the Ohio River. God promised to never flood the world again, He never said he would spare a modern day Sodom or Gomorrah.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks to all that called or wrote emails and letters. This is what we can accomplish when we work together and everybody joins in.
View Quote
+1

Anyone know when Bevin will sign it and when does it go into effect?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#7]
All bill's passed in the 2019 legislative session go into effect on the same day. 90 days after the last day of the session. That will be about July 1st.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The population of the state is growing and most people are moving near larger cities to be near jobs, activities, and infrastructure.  Who builds activities and infrastructure?  The government.  That is why all larger cities lean liberal and like big government.  It gives them a safety blanket that they think they can fall back on. This is never going to change.

While I understand the comments of people who want to get rid of Louisville and Lexington, those people are still people, citizens, and voters.  Calling for a genocide of those people isn't very pro-America.  The bigger and tougher question is "How can the Republicans reach them and connect with them".   With SB 150 we saw the Louisville Republicans turn their backs on gun owners.  If they didn't, then in 2 years those seats would belong to Louisville Democrats.  Going more centrist is not the solution, it is only delaying the inevitable (which is better than nothing).  A bigger picture and bigger plan need to be put together.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The population of the state is growing and most people are moving near larger cities to be near jobs, activities, and infrastructure.  Who builds activities and infrastructure?  The government.  That is why all larger cities lean liberal and like big government.  It gives them a safety blanket that they think they can fall back on. This is never going to change.

While I understand the comments of people who want to get rid of Louisville and Lexington, those people are still people, citizens, and voters.  Calling for a genocide of those people isn't very pro-America.  The bigger and tougher question is "How can the Republicans reach them and connect with them".   With SB 150 we saw the Louisville Republicans turn their backs on gun owners.  If they didn't, then in 2 years those seats would belong to Louisville Democrats.  Going more centrist is not the solution, it is only delaying the inevitable (which is better than nothing).  A bigger picture and bigger plan need to be put together.
View Quote
I don't think anyone was calling for a genocide (which is to eliminate a specific ethnic/genetic group). I think the sentiment of some people is that there be an Act of God that eliminates the infrastructure that allows such government and activities to flourish. Hard times make strong people.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't really give a damn about being "pro-America". My loyalty no longer extends beyond the state level.

Louisville is a crime-ridden disaster that has only gotten worse since I moved here eight months ago. I've already got my exit strategy worked out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't really give a damn about being "pro-America". My loyalty no longer extends beyond the state level.

Louisville is a crime-ridden disaster that has only gotten worse since I moved here eight months ago. I've already got my exit strategy worked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would caution folks to not abandon Louisville. There are nearly 20 members of the House of Representatives and 10 state senators here. There are a lot of people here. Similarly for Lexington. To abandon them would just keep the cancer of Liberalism growing. We need to stay here and fight, lest we mirror California
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Kentucky's Gov. Matt Bevin says he will sign concealed carry bill into law.  Video of him speaking about Constitutional Carry at the link.
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/?article=506575381&fbclid=IwAR23cm6Dt5eVgSnJlpzT6SWOGRa_dnt6O7YBmJrMj91FmchPV_DkCDGf-j8
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I really would caution folks to not abandon Louisville. There are nearly 20 members of the House of Representatives and 10 state senators here. There are a lot of people here. Similarly for Lexington. To abandon them would just keep the cancer of Liberalism growing. We need to stay here and fight, lest we mirror California
View Quote
That was sort of my point in my earlier post.  We all dislike liberals and wish they would leave or be made to disappear but that is just a pipe dream that will never happen.  Like it or not their votes count just as much as ours.

I grew up in Illinois and the same things were being said about Chicago that are being said about Louisville.  If only we could kick them out of the state then most the problems go away.  That was 25 years ago when the liberals in Chicago had influence but not complete control over the legislature.  Their urban areas have grown and this past election gave the liberals complete control of the legislature.  Now they are looking at even higher taxes and gun bans.  That type of growth is happening to Kentucky right now.  It is only a matter of time before we face the exact same situation.  Fighting the liberals shouldn't be the focus, figuring out how to connect with city voters should be the focus.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I just realized that if Tim Moore had been present for the vote it would have been 61-37
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That was sort of my point in my earlier post.  We all dislike liberals and wish they would leave or be made to disappear but that is just a pipe dream that will never happen.  Like it or not their votes count just as much as ours.

I grew up in Illinois and the same things were being said about Chicago that are being said about Louisville.  If only we could kick them out of the state then most the problems go away.  That was 25 years ago when the liberals in Chicago had influence but not complete control over the legislature.  Their urban areas have grown and this past election gave the liberals complete control of the legislature.  Now they are looking at even higher taxes and gun bans.  That type of growth is happening to Kentucky right now.  It is only a matter of time before we face the exact same situation.  Fighting the liberals shouldn't be the focus, figuring out how to connect with city voters should be the focus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I have DemSoc friends that I'm working on being able to cross party lines and improve their opinions on firearms. And I'm starting to have a impact with them.

That isn't to say it'll work with everyone, but the alternative is abandoning entire metropolitan area, and eventually the legislature once they get enough seats locked in.

Where will people run then?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

but the alternative is abandoning entire metropolitan area, and eventually the legislature once they get enough seats locked in.

Where will people run then?
View Quote
Abandoning cities isn't a viable option.  They are growing faster that rural areas and rural people are driving to them to work.  That increases their tax revenue, the services they provide, and the number of businesses.

Take a look at this chart of commuting patterns.  It shows where people live and where they work.  All the hot spots are larger cities.  The majority of people in this state head to a city to work.  They have the higher paying jobs there along with other resources.  The cities will keep growing and attracting the rural people, at least during the day.  To abandon them is to simply give up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Even though Bevin said he would sign the bill, can’t hurt to contact him and show your support

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/5707
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even though Bevin said he would sign the bill, can't hurt to contact him and show your support

View Quote
Agreed.  My Rep had signed on as a co-sponsor, I used the NRA link to contact him anyway.  Bevin said he would sign it but I still made sure to fill out the NRA's form to contact him to support it.  The only way gun owners have a voice is if they take action.  Even in this case where we know Bevin will sign it, what would it tell him if he received 100 messages asking him to support it or if he received 10,000 messages asking him to support it?  Bevin and everyone else would clearly understand that gun owners are active and involved, which gives us more influence.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Agreed.  My Rep had signed on as a co-sponsor, I used the NRA link to contact him anyway.  Bevin said he would sign it but I still made sure to fill out the NRA's form to contact him to support it.  The only way gun owners have a voice is if they take action.  Even in this case where we know Bevin will sign it, what would it tell him if he received 100 messages asking him to support it or if he received 10,000 messages asking him to support it?  Bevin and everyone else would clearly understand that gun owners are active and involved, which gives us more influence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even though Bevin said he would sign the bill, can't hurt to contact him and show your support

Hit
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit
Hit as well. Any rumors of when this will be signed by him?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
How does this law affect reciprocity?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How does this law affect reciprocity?
View Quote
You still need a valid CCDW to carry in other states.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Even though Bevin said he would sign the bill, can’t hurt to contact him and show your support

View Quote
Hit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like Bevin signed it into law.  When does it take effect?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
90 days after the session ends.  Typically it is around July 1st.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Funny that Gun Owners of America would send this message when they didn't bother to send a representative to Frankfort to fight for us.  The NRA had a lobbyist there the entire session.  NAGR even had representatives that showed up.

Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell to the yes!!!
Good job everybody who called, emailed, went to the capital!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Gov-Bevin-signs-permitless-conceal-carry-into-law-507004161.html?fbclid=IwAR1Tap5F-3DP-Urc-bd5CXpFpjcf56hrtOr18vJxVi4M7RwwcI2BGDqj7vA
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Couple questions

Mad mommies are sending out texts saying the bill is to be signed in 4 days. That Bevin hasnt signed it yet, and are urging members to call him to veto the bill

Article I cited above says the law goes into effect on June 26. I thought bills go into effect 90 days after the last day of the legislative session, which is July 1
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#31]
The bill was signed yesterday.   https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/19rs/sb150.html

Quoted:
Couple questions

Mad mommies are sending out texts saying the bill is to be signed in 4 days. That Bevin hasnt signed it yet, and are urging members to call him to veto the bill

Article I cited above says the law goes into effect on June 26. I thought bills go into effect 90 days after the last day of the legislative session, which is July 1
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  You still need a valid CCDW to carry in other states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: How does this law affect reciprocity?
You still need a valid CCDW to carry in other states.
And also to bypass NICS at a FFL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Couple questions

View Quote
Remember we are in a short session this year.  The last day of the session is March 28th.  That puts 90 days later at June 26.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrats to the Kentucky gang!!!
We've had CC here in Maine for 3-4 years.
There hasn't been any blood flowing in the streets as was previously forecast.
Now watch the crime statistics... Ours have dropped..
Of course we now have a dem governor that's trying to screw it up..
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#35]
It is official.  Governor signed it today.  Laws passed this legislative session will go into effect on June 26, 2019.

SB 150 (Constitutional Carry) signing with Governor Matt Bevin and NRA - National Rifle Association of America

All the key players involved in making Constitutional Carry happen.

Art Thomm - our NRA lobbyist.

Senator Brandon Smith (bill sponsor) and Art Thomm  (NRA Lobbyist)

Representative Savannah Maddox (House sponsor) and Art Thomm (NRA Lobbyist)

Art Thomm (NRA Lobbyist) and Governor Matt Bevin
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]
If anyone else here uses social media, you can follow the NRA lobbyist for Kentucky at https://www.facebook.com/art.thomm.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Special thanks to SWIRE and all the other arfcommers that were in Frankfort fighting for us all. Well done
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Special thanks to SWIRE and all the other arfcommers that were in Frankfort fighting for us all. Well done
View Quote
Seconded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I appreciate it.  Softpoint deserves more credit than I do.  He was there more than I was and even testified in the Senate committee meeting.  I was just more obnoxious about getting updates, posting them all over the place, following up with my legislators, and trying to get others to contact their legislators.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I appreciate it.  Softpoint deserves more credit than I do.  He was there more than I was and even testified in the Senate committee meeting.  I was just more obnoxious about getting updates, posting them all over the place, following up with my legislators, and trying to get others to contact their legislators.
View Quote
Thanks SWIRE, but I'm not keeping score of who has done what. This year, I think we all deserve credit for what was accomplished and it was nice to spend some time together with you, working on a common goal. I had several legislators tell me this issue had produced more contacts with the public than any other issue in several years. There are several people that deserve credit for this new law. I am lucky in that I live only 20 mins from the Capitol and am retired so I am able to go anytime I need to go.
We could have never gotten this done without the help of the NRA. They started the ball rolling on this four years ago. Now granted, there were some mistakes made along the way but that's not unusual in getting changes in the law. There is an old saying that failure is an orphan while success has many fathers. Everybody wants to take credit when a bill passes but years of work and failures went into refining the wording of this bill and just getting people accustomed to new ideas. Four years ago, there were very few people in Frankfort that had ever heard of "constitutional carry" and they were shocked to find out that other states had such laws. It takes a
while to let people get accustomed to new ideas. One name I haven't heard anybody mention is Albert Robinson, who was the first Senator to  sponsor a bill four years ago. He worked hard and put his reputation on the line fighting for bill's that the NRA brought here that were very poorly written. Without Senator Ribinson's work there would have not been a bill that COULD pass this year. He originally wanted the bill to be for 18 year olds and up and the first two bills said that because he felt it was a constitutional issue and should include all adults. The wording had to be refined to be acceptable to the members of the Senate. Senator Robinson lead that fight for three years. There was also a different NRA lobbyist for the first two years. His name was Daniel Hall and he had to fight to try to pass bill's with  some big mistakes sent here from his bosses at NRA Headquarters. Not only that, he was running back and forth between Ky. and three other states trying to get NRA bill's passed in those states. Now that sounds like a job that could be handled without too much trouble, if he just had to travel between Indiana, Ohio, Ky. and Tenn. Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy. The four states he had to work were Ky., WVa., Ga and No. Dakota. And, NO, he wasn't flying first-class on an NRA credit card, he was driving his own vehicle. He couldn't just stay to finish one state and then move to another. He would come to Frankfort for one or two days then drive to Atlanta and stay a day or two then, maybe drive all the way to North Dakota for a couple of days, then to WVa. for two days then back to Frankfort. The legislatures of all those states were all meeting at the same time but had different days for committee meetings and votes and caucus votes and floor votes. They had to figure a way to fit all of those into a schedule. It was a grueling job on lasted for about four months. This year and last year, Art Thom has been doing the same thing. Art did a great job and got the bill passed but a lot of the necessary work was done before but that didn't produce any noticeable results and very few of us saw that work as it happened.
There was no bill in the Senate last year. Last year was an election year. Senator Robinson told me that he would not introduce a bill if that bill would put even one Republican Senate seat at risk in the election. It was decided that there was too much opposition in a couple of districts, and he did not introduce the bill. The NRA not very happy about that and they donated lots of money last year to see that the Senate stayed in the hands of Republicans. It did remain like that and this year that favor was repaid. Remember that the next time you get one of those irritating requests for money from NRA.
Early on in the session it was obvious that the donations had paid off and we had a lock on the Senate and I asked Art what he had planned for the House, because I had talked to several of them that were not very enthusiastic about the bill, including my own Representative. He said, "Oh, we've got plenty of votes over there. The Republicans have a super majority." I had to explain Ky. polictics to him and told him we had a lot of weak spined Republicans that might fold on us. After the Senate vote, he got to work and found out there were big problems with a lot of House republicans and he told all of them that NRA wanted THIS bill, THIS year and if they EVER wanted an endorsement from NRA, a campaign donation or a good NRA rating, they had better vote yes. Then all the amendments came up and a lot of them thought that they could hedge their votes by voting for one or more of those. They were told that any vote for any amendment would be considered a NO vote on the bill and they would be rated like they had voted NO. That really got their attention. It was quite a meeting. I have never seen anything quite like it. And that is how we got 60 votes in the House. I am not sure how this will work out in the future. We got what we wanted THIS YEAR, but some of the members of the House felt like they had been bullied into it. We might have made some enemies as well as made some friends. We'll see how it works out next year. It could all be forgotten by them. A campaign donation from NRA might make everything alright by then. The best find this year was Savannah Maddox. I didn't meet Ms. Maddox until last summer. I had called Art Thom to see what plans he had for this year and he said that he was going to be in Frankfort to interview a candidate  for office that wanted their endorsement. That candidate turned out to be Ms. Maddox. She was great. That woman can be Governor someday. Representative Maddox saved the constitutional carry bill this year. The discussion of the bill got out of control. The Committee Chairman lost control of

the meeting and the opposition was running wild with it. It was going sideways. Maddox jumped into the discussion and got it back on track and got it back on topic and saved the discussion.  Had she not done that the bill would have died right there.

One thing that really impressed me is that many gun owners worked to get this passed when they have no intention of ever using it. Most of those people are like me and will never give up their CCDW but fought for this because they thought it was the right thing. KC3 worked to get CCDW's 23 years ago and this year worked to make those same licenses voluntary. We will be back next year with college campus carry and I hope the gun owners of Ky.  will support that too, even though most of them will never go on a college campus, for the same reason, it is the right thing to do. In the past, it has been hard to get Ky. gun owners to support bill's that don't affect them directly. All the "gun free zones" need to he gone, but it will probably have to happen one at a time
Tim Moore has been working on this for three or four years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Softpoint, I appreciate all that you do for the commonwealth on gun issues.  However below is a quote from your post on why it took so long for us to get the bill passed.

"There was no bill in the Senate last year. Last year was an election year. Senator Robinson told me that he would not introduce a bill if that bill would put even one Republican Senate seat at risk in the election. It was decided that there was too much opposition in a couple of districts, and he did not introduce the bill. The NRA not very happy about that and they donated lots of money last year to see that the Senate stayed in the hands of Republicans. It did remain like that and this year that favor was repaid. Remember that the next time you get one of those irritating requests for money from NRA."

To me that is the fundamental problem with the Republican party.  They are more concerned to with getting elected than passing good legislation at times.

To give credit where credit is due the Democrats are willing to take hits (especially at the national level) if they get to pass their agendas through.  They know once you pass a law it is
hard to get it repealed.   So they are willing to take election losses to get their agendas passed.  Knowing that it is unlikely that legislation will be repealed and the voters will be more forgiving in an
election cycle or so.  The republicans should really take a page from this book if they want to continue to be successful.

I am glad it worked out for us this session but it should not have taken this long to get it passed when the republicans took over the legislature.  Do you think the democrats would have waited
this long to pass something they believed in?  Even if it meant losing seats?  They would have passed legislation they believed in quickly and taken the hit if necessary during the election.

just food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

To me that is the fundamental problem with the Republican party.  They are more concerned to with getting elected than passing good legislation at times.
View Quote
That is true for both parties.  There are no ideal candidates/politicians, everyone is going to have their own personal bias, rarely do they stand on principle, and the main focus is increasing supporters so they can get re-elected.  That is just how politics is.

It is always a calculated game of risk.  The GOP does take risks, many of the bills they pushed this year are controversial but they still pushed them.  Before that they were pushing the pension bills and they have always pushed pro-gun bills.  Reference above where the politicians generally don't stand on principle and have a personal bias.  I doubt any politician will ever take the stand "Shall not be infringed means no restrictions".  It doesn't matter what the federal and state constitution say, they won't take that position.  They will look at their district and see what the voters will or won't tolerate or what they have a personal bias against.  That is what drives how they vote.  The Constitutional Carry bill was being moved last year but the school shootings caused all guns bills to be tabled.  Meaning, there were enough legislators in borderline red/blue districts that would not support passing that type of bill at that time.

Here is how the legislative process works.  
The majority leadership decides which issues will be addressed during the session.
The leadership decides which legislators they want to move the bill.
Individual legislators draft bills for those issues and reach out to the lobbyists for help.
The bill get assigned to a committee where the chair gets to decide which bills are even brought up to be discussed.
Before it gets a committee meeting the leadership makes sure they have the votes that the floor vote should pass.

When all those things align and the political timing is good, only then do bills start making their way through the process.  All it takes is one person on a committee to say they are changing from yes to no and it could derail everything.  That means that one person is then catered to and the bill changed to accommodate whatever personal bias that person has.  It is either compromise to get the bill or get nothing.

This was a rare year where the leadership said "We are pushing this bill through with no amendments" and the NRA turned on the full court press to help keep the legislators focused on the core bill.  As softpoint mentioned, they used all their political capital in doing so.  They can't come back next year and do the same thing as the legislators would revolt against that type of pressure.  The NRA now has work to rebuild all their political capital by delivering voter support and funding.  If not a couple more legislators will defect and not support their bills and we get nothing.

Politicians should stand solely on principle but when you throw everything above into the mix they rarely do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is true for both parties.  There are no ideal candidates/politicians, everyone is going to have their own personal bias, rarely do they stand on principle, and the main focus is increasing supporters so they can get re-elected.  That is just how politics is.

It is always a calculated game of risk.  The GOP does take risks, many of the bills they pushed this year are controversial but they still pushed them.  Before that they were pushing the pension bills and they have always pushed pro-gun bills.  Reference above where the politicians generally don't stand on principle and have a personal bias.  I doubt any politician will ever take the stand "Shall not be infringed means no restrictions".  It doesn't matter what the federal and state constitution say, they won't take that position.  They will look at their district and see what the voters will or won't tolerate or what they have a personal bias against.  That is what drives how they vote.  The Constitutional Carry bill was being moved last year but the school shootings caused all guns bills to be tabled.  Meaning, there were enough legislators in borderline red/blue districts that would not support passing that type of bill at that time.

Here is how the legislative process works.  
The majority leadership decides which issues will be addressed during the session.
The leadership decides which legislators they want to move the bill.
Individual legislators draft bills for those issues and reach out to the lobbyists for help.
The bill get assigned to a committee where the chair gets to decide which bills are even brought up to be discussed.
Before it gets a committee meeting the leadership makes sure they have the votes that the floor vote should pass.

When all those things align and the political timing is good, only then do bills start making their way through the process.  All it takes is one person on a committee to say they are changing from yes to no and it could derail everything.  That means that one person is then catered to and the bill changed to accommodate whatever personal bias that person has.  It is either compromise to get the bill or get nothing.

This was a rare year where the leadership said "We are pushing this bill through with no amendments" and the NRA turned on the full court press to help keep the legislators focused on the core bill.  As softpoint mentioned, they used all their political capital in doing so.  They can't come back next year and do the same thing as the legislators would revolt against that type of pressure.  The NRA now has work to rebuild all their political capital by delivering voter support and funding.  If not a couple more legislators will defect and not support their bills and we get nothing.

Politicians should stand solely on principle but when you throw everything above into the mix they rarely do.
View Quote
Yes, I understand the process since I have dealt with them in the past.  And all individual politicians want to be elected or re-elected.  But I stand by my statement that the Democrats are
historically bigger risk takers than republicans and are willing to take losses to get their agendas through.  The leadership is willing to sacrifice members if necessary.   Especially at the national level.  That is why this country is in such a mess.

The Republicans are more hesitant than democrats when it comes to issues and is why they are on the defensive a lot.  It does not help that the media is bias as well.

But I am glad at the state level that they finally pushed this through.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But I stand by my statement that the Democrats are historically bigger risk takers than republicans and are willing to take losses to get their agendas through.  The leadership is willing to sacrifice members if necessary.   Especially at the national level.  That is why this country is in such a mess.
View Quote
I'm not sure if you venture into the General Discussion forum much but the way many people act out there might explain why this is.  There are numerous threads going on right now where a Republican has done just one thing that some people didn't like.  The responses aren't "I still support the politician but disagree with his stance on this one issue".  The responses are generally "F*** them! I want them out of office".  Compare that to the Democrats, where Bernie clearly had the primary stolen from him but immediately accepted that and then most of his followers got on board backing Hillary.  Republicans do not tolerate that type of behavior and take harder stances against people that they disagree with or something underhanded that they saw. That is part of the reason why the Republicans take less risks, the base will rebel against them over any failure or mistake.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Bump because this thread needs to be 5 pages at least.

Thank you everyone for your insight.

Thank you SoftPoint for helping me get back some faith in the NRA, I didn't know they did so much. I keep hearing from folks that SB-150 was thanks to the Gun Owners of America group
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I keep hearing from folks that SB-150 was thanks to the Gun Owners of America group
View Quote
GOA never even showed up at the Capitol.  The NRA and NAGR were there to testify.  GOA did have an alert and a form to contact the legislators on their website. That is all that I know they did. The NRA provided Senator Brandon Smith and Representative Savannah Maddox with the the language for their bills.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you venture into the General Discussion forum much but the way many people act out there might explain why this is.  There are numerous threads going on right now where a Republican has done just one thing that some people didn't like.  The responses aren't "I still support the politician but disagree with his stance on this one issue".  The responses are generally "F*** them! I want them out of office".  Compare that to the Democrats, where Bernie clearly had the primary stolen from him but immediately accepted that and then most of his followers got on board backing Hillary.  Republicans do not tolerate that type of behavior and take harder stances against people that they disagree with or something underhanded that they saw. That is part of the reason why the Republicans take less risks, the base will rebel against them over any failure or mistake.
View Quote
I do go into there quite often but do not post as much
Due to the mentality in there sometimes.  I agree with you on the attitude they have of not being tolerate of people who do not agree with positions one hundred percent.  You are spot on with our side eating its own.  I agree it may have an impact on the republicans being more cautious.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Due to the mentality in there sometimes.  I agree with you on the attitude they have of not being tolerate of people who do not agree with positions one hundred percent.  You are spot on with our side eating its own.  I agree it may have an impact on the republicans being more cautious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Conservatives (and particularly gun rights proponents) are expert at making enemies out of our friends.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#49]
It's official. The date that SB 150 becomes effective is June 27th. Ky. Attorney General says so here:

https://ag.ky.gov/government/opinions/Opinions%20New/OAG19-005.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3uAvy3qh8hF7UCH6auf6Bmg0ANwieqVBObgk8-LrY9aJLdKA8Tto9R1uo
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
My question is this, is this only for KY residents, as some states have passed, or does this apply to everyone, once they cross the border into Kentucky?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top