Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 11:43:27 PM EDT
A few years ago a man had his door kicked in during an attempted burglary.

http://www.wlky.com/article/man-charged-with-murder-after-police-say-he-shot-burglar-1/3759836

From what I understood the same guy had tried to or succeeded in robing the homeowner twice before. And on the third time he was caught in the act, chased down to a fence and the homeowner unloaded on him. I say this was a good shoot. There may be a time when the guy comes to your house later and you are asleep. I am fine with preemptively ending the threat.

From the police interview seems he had the right reasons.
http://www.wlky.com/article/louisville-man-charged-with-murder-of-suspected-burglar-speaks-in-police-interview-1/3760491

Trial testemony tomorrow (Tuesday). Hope he gets exonerated. Stuff like this should never be brought to charges let alone trial

http://www.wlky.com/article/opening-statements-in-trial-of-man-who-shot-killed-burglar/12013652
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
..."this was a good shoot."

"Stuff like this should never be brought to charges let alone trial"
View Quote
Dang, you are on a roll.     I could not agree more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything I know about this incident I have learned from this one article. That's not enough information for me to base an opinion on. I do believe that IF this was not in Jefferson Co.(or Fayette Co.) and IF the defendant was not black and IF a gun was not involved and IF the killing had happened INSIDE the house, this prosecution would not take place. That does not mean that he did not break the law. I just wonder how everybody would feel about this IF the shooter had been a police officer that chased down an unarmed man and killed him. It is not unusual for prosecutors to send cases to trial where guilt is not obvious and just let the jury sort it all out. Their only job is to prosecute people that they think are guilty in cases that they think they can win. They are not employed to give passes or absolution.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do believe that IF this was not in Jefferson Co.(or Fayette Co.) and IF the defendant was not black and IF a gun was not involved and IF the killing had happened INSIDE the house, this prosecution would not take place.
View Quote
IF this was in Jefferson Co, IF the defendant was black and a gun was involved, without regard to where it happened, there is a 50% chance some judge would release the perp on their own recognizance, maybe house arrest, or at worst $10K bond.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just wonder how everybody would feel about this IF the shooter had been a police officer that chased down an unarmed man and killed him.
View Quote
Given the situation, what had happened previously, and would otherwise continue to happen, I would take a day off and attend the medal for valor ceremony.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is not unusual for prosecutors to send cases to trial where guilt is not obvious and just let the jury sort it all out. Their only job is to prosecute people that they think are guilty in cases that they think they can win. They are not employed to give passes or absolution.
View Quote
It is not unusual for the regional legal officials around Jefferson county to be unpredictable.   They require little to no bond of some serious offenders.    They require exorbitant bond for some mild to moderate offense that are clearly personal finger pointing disputes that could go either way.   There are judges who let convicted home invaders back on the streets with no prison time and then berate little girls and their families who have been held and tortured.    There are prosecutors who search out obvious situations of self defense shootings and go after obviously innocent men.

I know the legal system, beyond the police,  around Jefferson county is nuts and ass backwards.   They are very good about persecuting people to undermine self-defense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Given the situation, what had happened previously, and would otherwise continue to happen, I would take a day off and attend the medal for valor ceremony.
View Quote

So you think that a police officer would be given a medal for killing an unarmed man and you would applaud such awarding of medals. You say that your belief is based on "what had happened previously". Can you name any instance where that has happened and if so, what medal was awarded to the police officer? Would your admiration for such actions extend to incidents where a member of your own family was killed? What about my family?  

Would you support giving multiple medals in instances where they killed more than one person or do you think that just one medal should cover all killings at any one time?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is not unusual for the regional legal officials around Jefferson county to be unpredictable.   They require little to no bond of some serious offenders.    They require exorbitant bond for some mild to moderate offense that are clearly personal finger pointing disputes that could go either way.   There are judges who let convicted home invaders back on the streets with no prison time and then berate little girls and their families who have been held and tortured.    There are prosecutors who search out obvious situations of self defense shootings and go after obviously innocent men.

I know the legal system, beyond the police,  around Jefferson county is nuts and ass backwards.   They are very good about persecuting people to undermine self-defense.
View Quote
Seriously, LMPD were trying to pick up my pedo neighbor (total piece of shit) for the longest time until one day in April he ran from them. Pedo kicked in the neighbors behind his house back door, and held the mother and 3 kids hostage. Long story short, they let him out about a month later. Unreal  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
And it was nowhere in the media
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

... chased down to a fence and the homeowner unloaded on him. ....
View Quote

As much as I agree with you in spirit, ya just can't do that...  No fear of grave injury or death.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As much as I agree with you in spirit, ya just can't do that...  No fear of grave injury or death.
View Quote
Why not? The bastard knows where you live, has it out for you, and will eventually catch you unawares/asleep. His past behavior indicates a future threat, it should be ended.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why not? The bastard knows where you live, has it out for you, and will eventually catch you unawares/asleep. His past behavior indicates a future threat, it should be ended.
View Quote
A threat of what? Burglary? That is not a capital crime. His "past behavior", that I have read, does not indicate a propensity for murder or assault. It indicated a propensity for theft. The law requires an "imminent" threat of severe bodily harm. I haven't seen any of that here. There are other ways to deal with people like this. Murder is an extreme remedy. I don't recommend it as a remedy to simple burglary.  I am not saying that is "fair or right", but he will be tried in a court of "law" and should be judged by what the law says, not on some "almost" law or "kinda" what the law says. If we were being tried, we would insist on the law being read exactly as written, why should this guy be given a "special" version of the law that nobody else gets? That is not "justice for all".
The circumstances of the case could be used as "extenuating circumstances" and justify a lighter sentence, but he doesn't deserve a walk or any "medals", as some have suggested. He took another man's life. That is no small thing and only in the most extreme circumstances should it be allowed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(1) So you think that a police officer would be given a medal for killing an unarmed man and

(2) you would applaud such awarding of medals.

(3) You say that your belief is based on "what had happened previously".

(4) Can you name any instance where that has happened and if so, what medal was awarded to the police officer?

(5) Would your admiration for such actions extend to incidents where a member of your own family was killed?

(6) What about my family?  

(7) Would you support giving multiple medals in instances where they killed more than one person or do you think that just one medal should cover all killings at any one time?
View Quote
1)  No.   I do not think that has happened or would happen.   However, I support hunting down the dangers to our society and killing them.    I am sure the left would have me killed.   I suspect most criminals would not hesitate to kill me for "shits and giggles".   I am a warrior.   I choose to live within the bounds of the law...  but to the very edges of that which is legal.   I learned as a child, that which legal is not necessarily right and that which is right is not necessarily legal.

2) Yes.   See above.  

3) It is noted that previously this person was being preyed upon.   There was a clear pattern this person being exploited.   It was just a matter of time until the situation turned deadly.   The good guy won.   The winner is in jail.   Not uncommon at all.

4)  Not Applicable (N/A).   That is not what I said/wrote.

5) Yes.   Right is right.  Wrong is wrong.   I had a nephew who had been involved in drugs and others crimes.  He caused a lot problems for those who loved him and tried to help him.   He ended up hanging himself in jail local jail just across the river in Indiana and was rushed to U of L medical center where he died.    The family tried to make more of the situation than the reality.   I am glad he is dead.   I hope that others let go of his memory.   I have had several ODs in my family.    I am glad those nightmares for society are over.    I have brother who has spent more time in jail/prison than out during his adult life.    I wish he would drop dead as he is a leach and danger to everyone in the family.   I have numerous sisters.   They are oxygen thieves and nothing but baby making machines.     I have another family member who decided to run from the cops in his hotrod.   When they caught him, after a foot chase through a creek bed, they beat the shit out of him.    I certainly don't blame them.     Unless people are responsible, productive, and independent members of society, I have nothing for them.   If they dropped dead, the world would be a better place.   I have seen so many exceptionally decent and wonderful people give so much for this country and our society.   I have no room in my heart for those who do not give and fight to lead a good life.      I have risked everything to save lives.    Sometimes, those people did not deserve anything but their obvious end.    I try to avoid exposure to such people now and hope I demonstrate better judgement and respect for my own life in the future.

6)   Your family is your business.   I don't know your family.    Beyond that, I see everyone else the same.   Who a person chooses to be is of their own accord.   There are obviously good people.   There are obviously bad people.   There are those who wonder aimlessly through life living with little determination for right and wrong.    I will not waste anymore of my life caring for anyone but the good.

7)   I am not picky.   I would be fine with multiple medals or a "device" such as the "V" for valor device on an award.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... chased down to a fence and the homeowner unloaded on him. ....

That is right.   We all better watch how we phrase things in legal situation.    Obviously, the man did the right thing, morally.   On the other hand, he will be judge by his statements and what "appears" to have been the situation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are right about how it should work.  However, we both know that is not how things actually work.   One has to make sure thing at least appear to be legally defensible.       Some good people end up in jail/prison for violent crimes.   Many bad people are loose, walking around.   That is why I don't support releasing drug offenders, who intentionally delve into an illegal, untaxed market.   They do such with forethought and full knowledge.    Instead, I think violent offenders should be more closely reviewed, as they are the few who may actually be deserving of freedom.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1)  No.   I do not think that has happened or would happen.   However, I support hunting down the dangers to our society and killing them.    I am sure the left would have me killed.   I suspect most criminals would not hesitate to kill me for "shits and giggles".   I am a warrior.   I choose to live within the bounds of the law...  but to the very edges of that which is legal.   I learned as a child, that which legal is not necessarily right and that which is right is not necessarily legal.

2) Yes.   See above.  

3) It is noted that previously this person was being preyed upon.   There was a clear pattern this person being exploited.   It was just a matter of time until the situation turned deadly.   The good guy won.   The winner is in jail.   Not uncommon at all.

4)  Not Applicable (N/A).   That is not what I said/wrote.

5) Yes.   Right is right.  Wrong is wrong.   I had a nephew who had been involved in drugs and others crimes.  He caused a lot problems for those who loved him and tried to help him.   He ended up hanging himself in jail local jail just across the river in Indiana and was rushed to U of L medical center where he died.    The family tried to make more of the situation than the reality.   I am glad he is dead.   I hope that others let go of his memory.   I have had several ODs in my family.    I am glad those nightmares for society are over.    I have brother who has spent more time in jail/prison than out during his adult life.    I wish he would drop dead as he is a leach and danger to everyone in the family.   I have numerous sisters.   They are oxygen thieves and nothing but baby making machines.     I have another family member who decided to run from the cops in his hotrod.   When they caught him, after a foot chase through a creek bed, they beat the shit out of him.    I certainly don't blame them.     Unless people are responsible, productive, and independent members of society, I have nothing for them.   If they dropped dead, the world would be a better place.   I have seen so many exceptionally decent and wonderful people give so much for this country and our society.   I have no room in my heart for those who do not give and fight to lead a good life.      I have risked everything to save lives.    Sometimes, those people did not deserve anything but their obvious end.    I try to avoid exposure to such people now and hope I demonstrate better judgement and respect for my own life in the future.

6)   Your family is your business.   I don't know your family.    Beyond that, I see everyone else the same.   Who a person chooses to be is of their own accord.   There are obviously good people.   There are obviously bad people.   There are those who wonder aimlessly through life living with little determination for right and wrong.    I will not waste anymore of my life caring for anyone but the good.

7)   I am not picky.   I would be fine with multiple medals or a "device" such as the "V" for valor device on an award.
View Quote

If you keep beating around the bush, we will never get to the bottom of this. Come on, tell us what you really think, without holding back on anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top