Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 6:44:38 PM EDT
I'm from Ohio and planning on coming down south to see the eclipse in August.  I have a hotel room in Louisville the night before and planning on heading home right after the eclipse.

Right now I don't have any place watch the eclipse. If anyone wants to host my family for a couple hours I would appreciate it.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
From all I have read, Hopkinsville, KY is supposed to be eclipse central.    If you don't have something lined up, head there.    We own a place near Grand Rivers at which we will stay.   That should be in the 98%to 100% path.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to avoid going to super crowded places if I can.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am super excited about this.    Like you, I am not big crowds either.   We will be with family in the middle very rural farmland my wife owns.

I hope you are able to work something out.  This is a once in a life time opportunity, from what I gather, in this region.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

KENTUCKY

Kentucky also boasts wonderful viewing areas, with totality at Paducah (1:22pm) lasting 2m20s of totality. The Land Between the Lakes is a wonderful spot to view the eclipse from, and the farther north you are here, the better! Eddyville gets 2m39s at 1:23pm. After that, Hopkinsville lies right on the centerline, and enjoys 2m40s of totality at 1:24:41pm. This, together with the preparations that the folks at Hopkinsville Community College are making, makes it a great place to consider watching the eclipse from.

Franklin (2m26s at 1:26:48pm) and Russellville (2m29s at 1:26pm) are other good spots from which to see the shadow. Bowling Green lies in the path, but it is on the northern edge, and folks here are advised to head to Hopkinsville, or down I-65 into Tennessee.

Mammoth Cave and Murray are not in the path, and neither are Louisville or Lexington. In these locations, the eclipse will never be total for you, and you will need to use your eclipse glasses for the entire partial eclipse! This show belongs to the far southwestern part of the Commonwealth, and you are urged to get there and be a part of it all!

See eclipse information for all Kentucky cities and towns in the path of totality!

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/states/KY.htm
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Paducah will likely be socked with tourists.

I may or may not have room, depends on what the relatives decide to do.
(Have a big house that I barely use.)
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paducah will likely be socked with tourists.

I may or may not have room, depends on what the relatives decide to do.
(Have a big house that I barely use.)
View Quote
I agree.   My wife's place is between Grand Rivers and Smithland.   It is very rural.   It will probably be a family affair, or so I suspect.  I think we will have maximum exposure.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Grayson is the man.   His family and their business is amazing.   The shop is in the country side.   I would encourage you to consider this option.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communities/states/KY/Gamaliel_381.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gamaliel is in the eclipse path and anyone is welcome to come watch at our store. There's plenty of room to park next to the store.

We will be having some in store specials that day as well so make sure to stop in.
View Quote
That's cool and going on our list of possibilities. How do you think those narrow, windy roads will be that day?  Will the BBQ joint have enough to go around?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I took off work to take the kids (somewhere) to watch it. Was thinking Hopkinsville / Princeton area-ish somewhere. You guys that are local, are you all *really* expecting / hearing the crowd sizes to be as big as 200,000+?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took off work to take the kids (somewhere) to watch it. Was thinking Hopkinsville / Princeton area-ish somewhere. You guys that are local, are you all *really* expecting / hearing the crowd sizes to be as big as 200,000+?
View Quote
Yes.    Places have sold event tickets.    It is money.   So, YES, of course.

Hopkinsville will be busy.    Several TN cities will be on the path and packed.

Just go somewhere out of the way, and it will be fine.    Traffic will probably be wild no matter where you go.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
We are looking at taking off work to take the kids somewhere as well.  I'm trying to narrow it down.  I guess it depends if you just want to see the eclipse or see the eclipse at some type of event...and if you/how much you want to pay.  I rather not drive 3 hours just to stand in the middle of a field for 2 minutes.  I rather experience another town and a festival.  That will mean tons of people, traffic, and probably a cost.  It looks like Hopkinsville has a festival but it is Friday, Saturday, Sunday only, nothing on Monday.  

Murray State in Hopkinsville still has 96 parking spots available, they are $50 though.  You buy the ticket online so you would be sure you have a spot.  

Casey Jones Distillery right on the maximum eclipse line and just outside Hopkinsville is offering parking, live music,  5 food trucks...etc. but no way to ensure you get spot which also runs $50.  They open the parking up at 5:30am.  My guess is they will have a line of cars down the road at the point and quickly fill up.  That area will be total chaos.

A bunch of churches are making their grounds available.

The major event map for Hopkinsville.
[url]http://www.eclipseville.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/EventMap.jpg[/img]

A listing of places in Hopkinsville that are public viewing areas.  
http://www.eclipseville.com/viewing-areas/
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 for Grayson. Hell of a guy and great people and awesome store.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We are looking at taking off work to take the kids somewhere as well.  I'm trying to narrow it down.  I guess it depends if you just want to see the eclipse or see the eclipse at some type of event...and if you/how much you want to pay.  I rather not drive 3 hours just to stand in the middle of a field for 2 minutes.  I rather experience another town and a festival.  That will mean tons of people, traffic, and probably a cost.  It looks like Hopkinsville has a festival but it is Friday, Saturday, Sunday only, nothing on Monday.  

Murray State in Hopkinsville still has 96 parking spots available, they are $50 though.  You buy the ticket online so you would be sure you have a spot.  

Casey Jones Distillery right on the maximum eclipse line and just outside Hopkinsville is offering parking, live music,  5 food trucks...etc. but no way to ensure you get spot which also runs $50.  They open the parking up at 5:30am.  My guess is they will have a line of cars down the road at the point and quickly fill up.  That area will be total chaos.

A bunch of churches are making their grounds available.

The major event map for Hopkinsville.
http://www.eclipseville.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/EventMap.jpg

A listing of places in Hopkinsville that are public viewing areas.  
http://www.eclipseville.com/viewing-areas/
View Quote
Thanks for the info!

I don't mind at all to just park beside the road and watch it - if im gonna drive somewhere, besides just watch it at home, I wanna see the total eclipse. 

Our glasses from B&H showed up today (I ordered them Sunday). Im currently thinking we just toss a cooler in the truck full of drinks and snacks and head west before day break and see how far we get and how it plays out.

I do plan to start watching the forecast though and may head somewhere with clear skies predicted - but I suspect many others will be doing the same. Either way, it will be an adventure and make memories for the kids to talk about when they're grown. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I do plan to start watching the forecast though and may head somewhere with clear skies predicted 
View Quote
I just checked on that due to your comment.  It looks like going west things are partially cloudy same as Hopkinsville.  Going east Sparta TN shows clear.  Sparta TN's Facebook page says they will have activities at the library for kids as the only activity.  So clearly they are not prepared for a crowd.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I reserved a spot at the Murray State University building in Hopkinsville.  The weather is showing "Clear" for Monday now.  Everything else was pretty much booked and driving around to find a spot around Hopksinville would probably be a terrible idea.

In addition to being almost on the center line of the eclipse, Hopkinsville is the “point of greatest eclipse”—the point where the sun, moon, and earth line up most perfectly during the eclipse—the point where the moon’s shadow hits Earth most squarely.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Supposed to be clear here in Paducah. Will try and shoot some video through a welding lens, then some of the odd shadow effects.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Planning on heading out toward Hopkinsville / Princeton area in the morning. What's you local guys feeling in traffic conditions? I'm wondering if it would be better to run back roads at some point. Think I may head out before day break, it's a 3hr drive for me.

Also, what's gas conditions look like down there? My truck gets 11mpg so a full tank here will put me needing gas when I get there. Thinking of maybe putting a couple jerry cans in the bed so I can get 100 miles or so back up the road before looking for a gas station.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's you local guys feeling in traffic conditions? 
View Quote
I've been watching Waze's live map all weekend and there really isn't that much traffic showing.  I've also been watching Twitter for updates.  Everything appears to be orderly and not crowded.  The parking at Casey Jones Distillery is not full.  It is almost on the center line of the eclipse as well.

So either the crowd is not going to be as large as they were expecting, 200,000 people, or everyone is going to try driving there tomorrow.   My plan is to stop around 30 minutes away from Hopkinsville and top of the tank.   Hopkinsville is setup like a spoke, with every road converging downtown and a bypass around it.  Hopefully they keep the bypass moving.  Inside the bypass I predict gridlock.  

By the Murray State building there are a bunch of side roads and no buildings.  I am expecting them to be lined with cars.  It is almost straight south of town and outside the bypass.  The location will have portable toilets and there is a convention center near by with indoor plumbing and food.  

If you want PM me with your cell number and we can trade updates on location and traffic if need be.  

I bought a parking spot at the link below just to have a sure spot.  I betting people just park along the road by there.  
https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B048'23.5%22N+87%C2%B028'30.4%22W/@36.806524,-87.4764101,575m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.806524!4d-87.475103
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
In Grandrivers at Patti's 1880 Settlement having dinner ...   now.     Yum!

Will watch the Eclipse at wife's house, between Grand Rivers and Smithland.

Cell service does suck around the area.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been watching Waze's live map all weekend and there really isn't that much traffic showing.  I've also been watching Twitter for updates.  Everything appears to be orderly and not crowded.  The parking at Casey Jones Distillery is not full.  It is almost on the center line of the eclipse as well.

So either the crowd is not going to be as large as they were expecting, 200,000 people, or everyone is going to try driving there tomorrow.   My plan is to stop around 30 minutes away from Hopkinsville and top of the tank.   Hopkinsville is setup like a spoke, with every road converging downtown and a bypass around it.  Hopefully they keep the bypass moving.  Inside the bypass I predict gridlock.  

By the Murray State building there are a bunch of side roads and no buildings.  I am expecting them to be lined with cars.  It is almost straight south of town and outside the bypass.  The location will have portable toilets and there is a convention center near by with indoor plumbing and food.  

If you want PM me with your cell number and we can trade updates on location and traffic if need be.  

I bought a parking spot at the link below just to have a sure spot.  I betting people just park along the road by there.  
https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B048'23.5%22N+87%C2%B028'30.4%22W/@36.806524,-87.4764101,575m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.806524!4d-87.475103
View Quote
IM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top