Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2003 12:22:34 AM EDT
Anybody know what the legal limit on mag capacity to use for deer hunting in a semi-auto rifle?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless it has changed, 10.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet would be to call the Fish & wildlife central office 1-800-858-1549 or www.kdfwr.state.ky.us  hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I called them last year and the man I spoke to said you could only load up ten in the magazine. I said "You mean I could use a 20 round magazine so long as I only put ten rounds in it?" He said "Yes". I was very surprised by this. I would only use my 10 round only magazine still, but he seemed quite confident that it did not matter how much the mag could hold only what it was currently loaded to was no more than 10.

???????????????????????

edit for clarification.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
TO be safe, you need to block a mag down to 10.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
"Semi-automatic and pump action rifles or shotguns able to hold more than a total of 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber) are NOT legal for deer hunting."

Copied from
fw.ky.gov/0304huntgd1.asp
about halfway down the page.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So this guy was totally talking BS to me. He shouldn't have attempted to answer my question, especially concerning a legality issue, if he did not know the answer. Oh well, I never hunted with a high cap mag, so no harm done.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, stick to a ten round cap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The regs state that the magazine must not allow for a capacity of more than 10 +1 in the chamber. I use a cut wooden dowel in my 20's to block it to 9 rounds. I'm not trying to be over compliant it just ended up that way and I left it. The magazine works fine.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top