Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 9:46:37 PM EDT
Since we have a real life prosecutor here I thought I would ask.  

Whenever I hear/read about a trial verdict they usually say sentencing will be several months later.  Why does it take so long?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Due process doesn't just apply to the trial.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since we have a real life prosecutor here I thought I would ask.  

Whenever I hear/read about a trial verdict they usually say sentencing will be several months later.  Why does it take so long?
View Quote

Well it's like this.   Unless there is an agreed to disposition by me, the defense attorney and the judge,  there is time needed for what is called a PSI (pre sentence investigation).  These can take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks or a bit more depending on which courthouse.   During this PSI, the complete historical background of the defendant will be put to paper.  The victims will be asked what they think should happen as well.  After all of that, the author of the PSI will place a recommendation on what the sentence should be.  The court takes that into consideration as well as oral argument from the defense attorney and myself.  And you are  
correct, it does take a chunk of time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well it's like this.   Unless there is an agreed to disposition by me, the defense attorney and the judge,  there is time needed for what is called a PSI (pre sentence investigation).  These can take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks or a bit more depending on which courthouse.   During this PSI, the complete historical background of the defendant will be put to paper.  The victims will be asked what they think should happen as well.  After all of that, the author of the PSI will place a recommendation on what the sentence should be.  The court takes that into consideration as well as oral argument from the defense attorney and myself.  And you are  
correct, it does take a chunk of time.
View Quote
Thanks for your reply, Sir.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This just in from ctdps

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top