Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 7:51:30 AM EDT
Hi, new to the site. Nice to know there is friends in ct! Im looking at the, HK SP5K, (link attached). Can anyone confirm that this is legal in ct?
Thx,
MP
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/750900a5-sp5k-sporting-pistol-semi-auto-none-optic-ready-black-finish-p-57722.html
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/750900a5-sp5k-sporting-pistol-semi-auto-none-optic-ready-black-finish-p-57722.html
View Quote
Hot link

I have no idea, but made it hot for others to click and see.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Not legal in CT.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi, new to the site. Nice to know there is friends in ct! Im looking at the, HK SP5K, (link attached). Can anyone confirm that this is legal in ct?
Thx,
MP
View Quote

It appears that the Freedom Shoppe is selling these in CT with some modifications that make them CT "legal".  Check out his Facebook page or CTGunTalk forum for more info.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one from the freedom shoppe. It's a zenith z5rs. You have to purchase the firearm as a pistol, then put a brace on it, pin/weld a barrel extension so that the barrel is over 12 inches, and also have a forward grip. The gun also needs to be over 26 inches overall length.

Pistol is now no longer a pistol, nor is it a rifle as defined by CT law. It's an "other."

I used a rail and foregrip from hk parts, and the SB tactical folding brace. My barre extension is just a xm177 flash hider but I'm working on a fake suppressor perm. Attached to the tri lug to bring the barrel just over 12 inches. With the folding SB brace the overall length is 26.75 inches.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one from the freedom shoppe. It's a zenith z5rs. You have to purchase the firearm as a pistol, then put a brace on it, pin/weld a barrel extension so that the barrel is over 12 inches, and also have a forward grip. The gun also needs to be over 26 inches overall length.

Pistol is now no longer a pistol, nor is it a rifle as defined by CT law. It's an "other."

I used a rail and foregrip from hk parts, and the SB tactical folding brace. My barre extension is just a xm177 flash hider but I'm working on a fake suppressor perm. Attached to the tri lug to bring the barrel just over 12 inches. With the folding SB brace the overall length is 26.75 inches.
View Quote
Pics or it didn't happen 
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you mean their folding brace or their HK style collapsible wire brace?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
He means a pistol brace.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Or just buy an SP89
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He means a pistol brace.
View Quote
Correct, but he used the word folding. They make a folding pistol brace, much like a folding fixed K stock, and they also make a pistol brace which uses the guns existing stock extension rod channels but has a pistol brace attached at the end.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine has the folding pistol brace. You could put an AR15 buttstock adaptor on the Z5RS and then instal a folding buffer tube with a brace if you wanted to. Personally I think the gun looks better with the HK style parts.

I'd really like to install the collapsible wire stock/brace that gearheadworks advertised but I have no idea when they will be available.

...and I do have pics but nowhere to host them. I don't think I can upload them without a membership either...maybe I should stop being so damn cheap lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine has the folding pistol brace. You could put an AR15 buttstock adaptor on the Z5RS and then instal a folding buffer tube with a brace if you wanted to. Personally I think the gun looks better with the HK style parts.

I'd really like to install the collapsible wire stock/brace that gearheadworks advertised but I have no idea when they will be available.

...and I do have pics but nowhere to host them. I don't think I can upload them without a membership either...maybe I should stop being so damn cheap lol
View Quote
The pictured brace is the Mod 3. The Mod 1 is currently out. That's the one that attaches to the end of a buffer tube, or has been adapted to the Scorpion Evo and Vector. The Mod 2 which has length adjustability is in production now and should be in stock in 1-1.5 months. The Mod 3 isn't in production yet and we've only seen prototypes, so figure a year.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought to make a "firearm" it had to start off as a virgin lower. like an 80%
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought to make a "firearm" it had to start off as a virgin lower. like an 80%
View Quote
That's correct, but that's not necessarily the goal. Primary goal is meet state requirements to not be an AW pistol or rifle. So that means barrel over 12" and generally starting the build with a pistol or bare receiver. Then, depending on the OAL and presence of fore grip, it may end up considered a  pistol or "firearm" federally, but which it is considered federally is irrelevant to it being CT legal as long as it's got no stock and barrel is over 12". Basically meet the CT definition of "neither" while following all federal laws.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If someone wants to post a pic or two of my hk clone let me know where to send them or shoot me an IM
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Shap, was away on business all last week.

Here are his pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit that's sexy. I'd be really interested in getting a scorpion EVO done this way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shit that's sexy. I'd be really interested in getting a scorpion EVO done this way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, they have some Skorps on their FB page.  I can deal with it but that barrel shroud looks a little hokey.  Too bad they couldn't add a Skorp carbine barrel and chop it to the compliant length but that would raise the price tag.

They also use the bladed type brace, I would prefer the one in the photo above.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone found the CT definition for "other"?  My google fu is failing me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, they have some Skorps on their FB page.  I can deal with it but that barrel shroud looks a little hokey.  Too bad they couldn't add a Skorp carbine barrel and chop it to the compliant length but that would raise the price tag.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm just providing my own parts. I didn't like nor wanted to be charged for what they used
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anyone found the CT definition for "other"?  My google fu is failing me.
View Quote
The state does not define it, that define everything else and it exists in the negative space.

. How does the state classify firearms for regulatory purposes?For regulatory purposes, state law designates four types of firearms: handguns (pistols and revolvers), long guns (rifles and shotguns), assault weapons, and machine guns. The degree of regulation depends on the type of firearm and, for sales and transfers, whether the transactions are being conducted by federally licensed gun dealers or by private sellers not required to be licensed.2. What are handguns?Pistols and revolvers are generally referred to as handguns. State law defines a “pistol” or “revolver” as any firearm with a barrel less than 12” long (CGS § 29-27 & 53a-3(18)).3. What are rifles and shot guns?State law defines a “rifle” as a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder using a cartridge to fire a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger. It defines a “shotgun” as a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder using a shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shots or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger (CGS § 53a-3 (16) & (17)). Rifles and shotguns are referred to as long guns.4. What are assault weapons?State law defines an “assault weapon” as (1) any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic, or burst fire at the user's option; (2) any of a list of named firearms; (3) any unlisted semi-automatic rifle, pistol, or shotgun that has certain specified features; or (4) a part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon (CGS § 53-202a).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top