Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
Anyone own one of these?  Like it?  Not too expensive that I wouldn't mind leaving it in the truck.  Not sure if those are proprietary mags or not but even if so, $18.00 each from chiappa.  

I still don't fully understand what can legally be left in a vehicle in this state but im thinking this is GTG?

Chiappa M1-9 9mm Carbine
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go the 30carbine route, since you're putting it in the self defense role. But, it doesn't seem half bad, especially since a NOS one is going for $299 on GB.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Chiappa M1-9mm It was my trunk gun in a trunk mount in my last car. I bought it/used it as a trunk gun for two reasons-

1. It is magazine fed. This means I can keep it unloaded (legal), but get it rolling quickly unlike a tube fed shotgun.

2. It is cheap and light. I have the polymer stock version.
Mine does get some malfunctions, but I am probably an outlier as the 9mm version is still much more solid than the garbage .22 version, which you should never buy.

Additionally, it does not use proprietary mags. It uses Beretta 92 mags. This was awesome because I had cross compatibility with my carry gun. Additionally, ammunition choice was a no brainier, already had Federal HSTs.

It's not like we can buy any cheaper carbines like Hi-points or Kel-Tecs . An SKS isn't a bad choice if you don't mind stripper clip loading. I'd buy an SCR AR for a trunk gun if it they didn't want so much for the lower.

IMO it's a good choice and a fun gun, just don't be devastated if it's not Glock reliable out of the box. I'd buy one as a fun gun regardless. Cutting the barrel down to 16" would make it crazy small, the stock barrel length is 19" and it doesn't feel that long at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A 9mm rifle?  Now that's funny.

Do you get a complimentary set of bra and panties and tampons with it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 9mm rifle?  Now that's funny.

Do you get a complimentary set of bra and panties and tampons with it?
View Quote
Not everyone came over on the Mayflower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I know they dont work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Chiappa M1-9mm It was my trunk gun in a trunk mount in my last car. I bought it/used it as a trunk gun for two reasons-

1. It is magazine fed. This means I can keep it unloaded (legal), but get it rolling quickly unlike a tube fed shotgun.

Mine does get some malfunctions, but I am probably an outlier as the 9mm version is still much more solid than the garbage .22 version, which you should never buy.

Additionally, it does not use proprietary mags. It uses Beretta 92 mags. This was awesome because I had cross compatibility with my carry gun. Additionally, ammunition choice was a no brainier, already had Federal HSTs.

It's not like we can buy any cheaper carbines like Hi-points or Kel-Tecs . An SKS isn't a bad choice if you don't mind stripper clip loading. I'd buy an SCR AR for a trunk gun if it they didn't want so much for the lower.

IMO it's a good choice and a fun gun, just don't be devastated if it's not Glock reliable out of the box. I'd buy one as a fun gun regardless. Cutting the barrel down to 16" would make it crazy small, the stock barrel length is 19" and it doesn't feel that long at all.
View Quote
Exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.  I'll probably still get one to add to the collection.  Even if I don't deem it truck gun reliable it will still be a fun addition to the stable of guns I bring to the range with new shooters.  9mm is cheap like .22 so I wont mind when they want to keep blasting away having fun
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.  I'll probably still get one to add to the collection.  Even if I don't deem it truck gun reliable it will still be a fun addition to the stable of guns I bring to the range with new shooters.  9mm is cheap like .22 so I wont mind when they want to keep blasting away having fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep  If yours is solid it'll make a nice trunk gun. If you have lots of 92fs mags even better. Beretta USA will run a 20% off every now and then, I got my 10rnders cheap. Grab a M1 Carbine butt stock mag pouch, sling, ECT. There are a bunch of M1 Carbine parts that fit on the gun, and some that fit with slight mods.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
....9mm is cheap like .22 so I wont mind when they want to keep blasting away having fun
View Quote
Price is not the only similarity between 9mm and .22
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....9mm is cheap like .22 so I wont mind when they want to keep blasting away having fun
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
9mm sucks balls.

10mm even in a Hi-Point is better than a 9mm anything.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/29/hipoint-10mm-carbine/
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
9mm sucks balls.

10mm even in a Hi-Point is better than a 9mm anything.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/29/hipoint-10mm-carbine/
View Quote
So what you would choose for a carbine under like $700?  I’m open ears, this just caught my eyes
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So what you would choose for a carbine under like $700?  I’m open ears, this just caught my eyes
View Quote
I tossed in that Hi-Point for giggles.

I don't see much use for a 9mm truck gun.  Might as well carry a pistol

If I wanted a truck gun in CT I would have something like a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 (AR-15 in a "free state").  I don't see much point in a pistol caliber rifle/carbine other than for fun or 4 leg pests.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would build a 5.56 lower with a 12.5" barrel and SIG brace (or similar), and maybe add in the Law Tactical folding mechanism.  Buy a polymer80 and finish it yourself. Perfect truck firearm, and technically it can be loaded while in the vehicle because it isn't a long gun.
View Quote
For reelz?

I didn't know that was an option.

I thought finishing an 80% AR lower was a no-go.  Am I wrong.  

Please advise.   I've been trying to figure out a 5.56 trunk gun for a while now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would build a 5.56 lower with a 12.5" barrel and SIG brace (or similar), and maybe add in the Law Tactical folding mechanism.  Buy a polymer80 and finish it yourself. Perfect truck firearm, and technically it can be loaded while in the vehicle because it isn't a long gun.
View Quote
That can’t be legal... can it?

I’m like 87% sure it isn’t
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I tossed in that Hi-Point for giggles.

I don't see much use for a 9mm truck gun.  Might as well carry a pistol

If I wanted a truck gun in CT I would have something like a Ruger Mini 14 or 30 (AR-15 in a "free state").  I don't see much point in a pistol caliber rifle/carbine other than for fun or 4 leg pests.

To each his own.
View Quote
Didn’t even think of the Mini 14. Good idea
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
If we didn't live in this commie shit hole this would be cool to add to a Mini 14 and make it a compact truck gun.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/712011316/ATI+RUGER+M14+TACTLITE+FOLDER+SCORPION+RECOIL+SYSTEM
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is legal. It's basically a DIY Freedom Shoppe FM-15. Without the surcharge of an SOT/FFL building it and you get to pick your own parts.

Obviously follow federal law when it comes to AR pistols regarding OAL and very foregrips, but @ a 12" barrel you should be OK.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For reelz?

Please advise.   I've been trying to figure out a 5.56 trunk gun for a while now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reelz?

FYI there is a Chinese knockoff LAW Tactical folder. Don't bet your life on it, but $30-60 instead of hundreds. Especially for a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Find a ruger pc9 or pc4 on the used market. They normally sell in the $600 range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is legal. It's basically a DIY Freedom Shoppe FM-15. Without the surcharge of an SOT/FFL building it and you get to pick your own parts.

Obviously follow federal law when it comes to AR pistols regarding OAL and very foregrips, but @ a 12" barrel you should be OK.
View Quote
Some one pinch me, am I dreaming?  If I knew that I would have already milled out an 80 and put a brace on it.  I thought 80's were paper weights unless you wanted a rimfire
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some one pinch me, am I dreaming?  If I knew that I would have already milled out an 80 and put a brace on it.  I thought 80's were paper weights unless you wanted a rimfire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People get hung up on "easily convertible". Freedom Shoppe has been transferring hundreds of them for a few years, State Police have been there and admitted they can't approve it- or deny it, and I haven't seen any MRAPs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
You and me both.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would hate trying to explain that to a cop after he saw that truck gun when he pulled me over for a taillight
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would hate trying to explain that to a cop after he saw that truck gun when he pulled me over for a taillight
View Quote
No reason to look in your trunk for a tail light infraction.  

......still, i would like to get some more info on this before I proceed.  

-An 80% lower milled to take an upper with a 12" barrel and a sig brace is legal in CT???

I'm struggling with this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Who said it was in the trunk?  It could be sitting on a seat or the floor and be visible.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

-An 80% lower milled to take an upper with a 12" barrel and a sig brace is legal in CT???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works like this, CT defines a pistol as a gun with a barrel less than 12". CT defines a rifle as a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder. The AW statues specifically ban assault pistols and rifles. A firearm with a barrel 12"+ that is not designed to be fired from the shoulder is neither.

All hail the AIDS cannon.

The reason for the 80% is good luck getting a shop to transfer you a stripped lower trusting that you won't build an AW lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who said it was in the trunk?  It could be sitting on a seat or the floor and be visible.
View Quote
Yeah, I'd be throwing a shirt or something over that myself.  

Whats the law on having a firearm sitting on the passenger seat?  

I know what i do with my EDC, but was wondering if mounting another holster to the side of the console was even legal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Errbody get your pens out and write ctdps a letter! Have your friends write letters .... have their friends write letters! Ask is this legal..... don't settle for a yes, keep writing until someone finally gets a "NO" and then we can all accept it as it is.

I love arf

Btw- those ruger carbines are quite spensive, the ones I saw are starting at $800
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know what i do with my EDC, but was wondering if mounting another holster to the side of the console was even legal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you head over to the tech forums for AR pistols and possibly SBRs there's some pretty extensive threads on which cheap Amazon ukelele cases fit ARs. Tennis racket case is another option, but generally has less padding. As with any firearm, but especially something so scary, if it's going to be in the passenger area/not trunk and in something that suggests value, try to not to leave it in the glass fishbowl to get stolen 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Errbody get your pens out and write ctdps a letter! Have your friends write letters .... have their friends write letters! Ask is this legal..... don't settle for a yes, keep writing until someone finally gets a "NO" and then we can all accept it as it is.
View Quote
You do know there are people that don't understand sarcasm.  

BTW:  Should I mail the check for my mag tax with my letter asking CTDPS questions about this new truck gun?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have this neat trick where I don't drive drunk or do drugs, which limits my LEO interaction to that of a professional and cordial nature. It is a rather novel concept.

Granted, everyone has their own comfort level of personal freedom. Some people follow the letter of the law. Some people follow even the spirit of the law. Some people don't even own guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have this neat trick where I don't drive drunk or do drugs, which limits my LEO interaction to that of a professional and cordial nature. It is a rather novel concept.

Granted, everyone has their own comfort level of personal freedom. Some people follow the letter of the law. Some people follow even the spirit of the law. Some people don't even own guns.
View Quote
I don't drink/drug and drive.  I'm old (early 60's) and don't drive fast anymore.  A couple of years ago a state cop pulled me over.  He said it was because my car looked like someone's they were looking for, and let me go.  I would hate to try to explain to a gun hating cop that the AR looking thing on the floor that my dog pulled off the clothing that was hiding it was legal.  I don't want to have to deal with shit like that.  

To each his own......
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It works like this, CT defines a pistol as a gun with a barrel less than 12". CT defines a rifle as a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder. The AW statues specifically ban assault pistols and rifles. A firearm with a barrel 12"+ that is not designed to be fired from the shoulder is neither.

All hail the AIDS cannon.

The reason for the 80% is good luck getting a shop to transfer you a stripped lower trusting that you won't build an AW lol.
View Quote
Hmmm I like where this is going.... So a 12"+ 80% with no shoulder thing that goes up, is legal.  I think im on board, barring any wall o' text from SBHaven.  Now if I registered my mags can I put 30 rounds in them and still use that in my loaded aids cannon
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I love arf

Btw- those ruger carbines are quite spensive, the ones I saw are starting at $800
View Quote
Does DPS like the letters hand written or typed out?  I also have a typewriter I could use.  I'll be hand delivering it so I will be sure to ask the people in middletown at least 30 times if what im building is actually legal or not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does DPS like the letters hand written or typed out?  I also have a typewriter I could use.  I'll be hand delivering it so I will be sure to ask the people in middletown at least 30 times if what im building is actually legal or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love arf

The prefer when you cut the words out of magazines and paste to a piece of paper.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The prefer when you cut the words out of magazines and paste to a piece of paper.
View Quote
Perfect, i'll even include some photos from the sport illustrated swim suit mag I intend to use
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I love arf

View Quote
Well, i need you to contact me and tell me everything that i can do from now on, so I don't tip off ctdps.  Please read my mind from now on, thank you kindly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, i need you to contact me and tell me everything that i can do from now on, so I don't tip off ctdps.  Please read my mind from now on, thank you kindly.
View Quote
sorry all
that was ment fo you
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#43]
This has been beat to death here and on the other Ct.com forum adnausem forums with differing opinions, do what your comfortable with as legal opinions vary from person to person and from issuing department/authority etc ...
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Hi-Point - when nothing but the best will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1u91YNkz4E
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@nutter
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Two rifles that I think would make excellent truck guns given what we have to work with here.

In the EE there is a Marlin Camp carbine in .45ACP &. a Ruger .44 magnum carbine.  Both are rare.  Both work well.  They are not cheap but beggars can’t be choosers.  They are both around $800.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top