Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2017 9:08:30 AM EDT
I had a family member get a reckless driving summons today. Unfortunately I'm going to end up paying for this . They were doing 95 in a 65 on Rt. 2. 

Anyone have any experience with these in CT? I know it's a minimum 30 day suspension and up to $300 fine. All the info online is by law firms and sounds really scary (jail time) and such.

Looking for advice or personal experience if you have any.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sent you a text
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using my work cell, my personal is broken. I PM'ed you that one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had a family member get a reckless driving summons today. Unfortunately I'm going to end up paying for this . They were doing 95 in a 65 on Rt. 2. 

Anyone have any experience with these in CT? I know it's a minimum 30 day suspension and up to $300 fine. All the info online is by law firms and sounds really scary (jail time) and such.

View Quote

Get a lawyer and get a plea to a lesser charge. The state wont want to push it if this is their first offense with how clogged the courts are. Lawyer is cheaper in the long run vs insurance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Only 30mph over is now considered reckless driving?  God this place has gone to Hell.  The speed limits in this state are too slow, and always have been.  Back when the national limit was lowered to 55 this fucking state went to 50.  Fuck Connecticut!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh the good old days of street racing at the pike.  I got a 100 in a 50 and reckless driving summons after I smoked a friend.  

He hired a lawyer, I didn't.  Luckily his lawyer was cool, getting the street racing charge dropped for the two of us.  I got a reduced speeding ticket, friend got away with just lawyer fees.

My insurance went from 1200 a year for two cars to 2000 for one car.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a lawyer and get a plea to a lesser charge.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Get a lawyer and get a plea to a lesser charge. The state wont want to push it if this is their first offense with how clogged the courts are. Lawyer is cheaper in the long run vs insurance.
View Quote
This!
See what the prosecutor offers- they almost always offer.....
use lawyer if/as needed
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother in laws nephew was clocked going over 90 on Rt. 6 He said he was going only about 80 It's ongoing process
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Years back, I got snagged doing 110 in a 55, on 84W, in NY.
Chick State Trooper had a thing for me and dropped it to 75 in a 55
Prosecutor dropped it to 65 in a 55

Winning

ETA: Making this OP relevant, get the lawyer
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Only 110?  

I will not say what I did or did not do, but I will say that "they" often couldn't catch me    

I miss the "good ol' days" before computers and "points" on licenses.

PORSCHE - THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]

"No?  Well 85 is where my speedometer stops"
View Quote
The Trooper told me I was going 110, my reply was, "That's impossible, this is limited to 109!" (it was a Grand Cherokee)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A few of my buddies........
View Quote
One of my "buddies" did this on this road.  Another of my "buddies" did that on that highway.  Okay if that line works for ya
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Down, boy!  

You have real criminals to go after like Malloy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Down, boy!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down, boy!  

No worries.  Some people are too fucking stupid to arrest.  I'll let Darwin do his magic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Having you as a personal friend must be interesting.  I suspect it is something like having the feeling of safety with a Pit bull until it turns and bits ya in the throat  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, enough stories about how big your fish was and the bickering. Looking for advice from people who were not let off and had to deal with this please.

Will a lawyer get a plea deal, can an individual without a lawyer get a deal? She has speeding tickets but nothing else on record.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK, enough stories about how big your fish was and the bickering. Looking for advice from people who were not let off and had to deal with this please.

Will a lawyer get a plea deal, can an individual without a lawyer get a deal? She has speeding tickets but nothing else on record.
View Quote
An individual can get a deal, but I'm going to guess the lawyers and prosecutor are friendly and can make it easier to get.

There is accelerated rehabilitation to but I'm not sure if this is criminal enough
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got pulled over earlier this year while taking a beemer out for a test drive, they claimed I was doing 85mph in a 35mph zone (no comment).  Officer explained that they were conducting cell phone/texting enforcement and I had flew by 3-4 officers including the sergeant who told the officer to arrest me and tow the bike.  I was cool with the LEO and told him it was a demo bike, he followed me back to the dealership and gave me an excessive speed ticket.  Got a lawyer and went to court, the prosecutor wouldn't drop it (even tho it was my first ticket, the officer included additional information that was not available to me, basically saying that he had already cut me a break).... so I paid a lawyer $300 to get a $125 ticket reduced to $35, and 1 point.

I'd get a lawyer, and don't forget DMV can also go after the driver regardless of what the outcome in court is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I got two breaks the last time I got pulled over. I don't think I have any brownie points left.

Lesson 1 is don't roll thru the stop sign in front of the police station.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
You get to watch some movies called "Red Asphalt" and "Red Asphalt 2" etc in driver retraining class.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have her try to see prosecutor for plea, if that doesn't work, we'll ask for another date to seek legal counsel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have her try to see prosecutor for plea, if that doesn't work, we'll ask for another date to seek legal counsel.
View Quote
Yea, they won't offer it up from the kindness of their heart, may have to twist the arm a little
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get lawyer now, especially if she has prior speeding tickets. RD is a serious charge, and you are going to need the attorney to do the bargaining. Its cheaper in the long run, trust me. They have relationships they can exploit on your behalf.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can we go back to having fun now?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys. Does it hurt to see what they offer out of the gate? It won't hurt to go through first round solo right?

group8, yeah why not, just try not to derail me too bad. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Does it hurt to see what they offer out of the gate? It won't hurt to go through first round solo right?

group8, yeah why not, just try not to derail me too bad. 
View Quote
most times the prosecutor will advise you to lawyer up if needed. At least that has been my experience. They often wheel and deal-dress for success. Be respectful and humble. I would bet they will drop it to a hefty speeding violation unless you have pissed them off before. Speeding in a workzone tends to agitate most LEO's. Not sure about prosecutors- they can be wild cards
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

.....Speeding in a workzone tends to agitate most LEO's. ......
View Quote
Why?  Because of douche bags that drive though work zones without paying attention and end up hitting someone.  It's like guns.  Someone does something stupid and the rest of us have to pay for it.  

Work zones can often be driven through at a normal speed and be totally safe for the workers.  We used to be able to transport our ARs etc without any concern where we were in CT.  Now because of Lanza there are all sorts of restrictions on us.  Same shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why?  Because of douche bags that drive though work zones without paying attention and end up hitting someone.  It's like guns.  Someone does something stupid and the rest of us have to pay for it.  

Work zones can often be driven through at a normal speed and be totally safe for the workers.  We used to be able to transport our ARs etc without any concern where we were in CT.  Now because of Lanza there are all sorts of restrictions on us.  Same shit.
View Quote
The reason (err, one of many good reasons) speeds are lowered in work zones is because there are things out of your control where it would be beneficial for you to have a second or two more to react. Materials or equipment failing or falling, or someone tripping into traffic, etc. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The reason (err, one of many good reasons) speeds are lowered in work zones is because there are things out of your control where it would be beneficial for you to have a second or two more to react. Materials or equipment failing or falling, or someone tripping into traffic, etc. Shit happens.
View Quote
I'm not a dummy.  At least my mommy told me I'm not.

I have driven through "work zones" in some states with cones and stuff on highways where NOTHING is being done other than a lane or two being closed for MILES (sometimes 10 miles or more) where I, or anyone, could have safely driven through at the normal speed limit or much higher.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not a dummy.  At least my mommy told me I'm not.

I have driven through "work zones" in some states with cones and stuff on highways where NOTHING is being done other than a lane or two being closed for MILES (sometimes 10 miles or more) where I, or anyone, could have safely driven through at the normal speed limit or much higher.
View Quote
If a cop isn't present then the law doesn't apply.

In high school I convinced a kid that the stop signs with the little letters at the bottom (CTDOT or something) were optional.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#32]
get a lawyer and hope for the best, take it as a learning experience.  Could have been a lot worse at that high of a speed if he hit a deer or a person. He should be able to get it knocked down a little if this is the first time doing this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
BTW:  I'm not advocating driving fast.  

After being away for 10+ years living in other states and racing cars, when I returned to this commie shit hole state in 1984 I knew I had to slow down a bunch due to all the damn driveways EVERYWHERE.  

For many reasons I wish I had never come back here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Lawyer.

Experienced in this matter
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I will probably sound like an old fart, but 95 mph is fast.

I have been under the impression that anything 15mph over the posted limit is reckless driving.

Anyway, nothing I can add that others haven't . Get a lawyer.

I would be PISSED if I had to foot the bill for someone else's stupidity
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I will probably sound like an old fart, but 95 mph is fast.

I have been under the impression that anything 15mph over the posted limit is reckless driving.

Anyway, nothing I can add that others haven't . Get a lawyer.

I would be PISSED if I had to foot the bill for someone else's stupidity
View Quote
You're not an old fart, that is fast, and reckless! I'm super pissed. I'll update you all on how it goes. Current plan is to see prosecutor solo and see what shakes out. The accused does volunteer for the courts on the side of the state, so perhaps that will harbor some good will. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Use big legal terms out of proper context.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Leon, I have seen your penis personally it's pretty huge

ETA: is that out of forum context??
View Quote
Just having a little fun,

I hope we can still be internet buddies
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Leon82

View Quote
Too much to drink, sorry Leon 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick one of your big dildos down your fucking throat. 

ETA: is that out of forum context??

Damn! @JohnsMyName went all Deej86 on @Leon82...good thing they're both good people...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#42]
My bad, friendly fire. 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good thing I was on my phone when I read that reply and not on the PC, otherwise there would have been a paddle involved
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#45]
We should all touch tips again sometime I'll bring an extra pair of socks just in case someone forgets
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We should all touch tips again sometime I'll bring an extra pair of socks just in case someone forgets
View Quote
When art resembles life... - Spike's Tactical
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]
My "friend" had a RD some years ago.  If I recall correctly it was $500 donation to the charity of the day to buy a nolle.

Not sure what the current rate card is but I'm sure like everything in Connecticut it's only gone up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#48]
A few decades ago had a "friend" was popped for 85 in a 45 (street lined with furniture store, auto garage, mall, etc).

Several days or weeks later the "friend" stood in front of a judge and politely declared he was a race car driver and could drive better than most.  The peanut gallery behind the "friend" was laughing, but they were all there for serious crimes unrelated to traffic violations and would be going to jail, so the "friend" was enjoying their laughing.

The judge saw the holy righteousness of my "friend" and gave him a $15 fine and closed the case.

I still laugh about it to this day many years later.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#49]
What's the statue of limitations for speeding or reckless driving
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What's the statue of limitations for speeding or reckless driving
View Quote
Generally between 1 and 3 years depending on the state.

It looks like CT is 2 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top