Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 7:17:43 AM EDT
These can't have been imported after Clinton's May 1994 Chinese rifle/ammo ban, so they should all be CT legal prebans, correct?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw one for sale last year so, I assume, yes.

That, of course, isn't always a foolproof way to judge it though.  

- BG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I saw one for sale last year so, I assume, yes.

That, of course, isn't always a foolproof way to judge it though.  

- BG

I know all about ASSuming.  Were there any imported after Clinton's ban?  It would seem to be an open/shut case.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
All Polytechs were "preban" as the last one was imported before the original ban went into effect.  That means that the "evil bits" are ok on the beast.

I'd suggest that you check "Different's" long essay here:

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/welcome.html

His work will confrim that your rifle is a preban because of the date of manufacture.  

Now, all that being said, make sure you check the headspace on that rifle.  If you don't have gauges, I'd suggest that you load one round (surplus NATO rounds only) and secure the rifle as you fire it down range.  Then inspect the brass.  If the primer looks ok and there are no brass deformation, you should be good to go.  Remember, only surplus ammo unless you have he headspace checked.   Commercial ammo has a different thickness brass and softer primers.

I've got a set of gauges which I lend out to fellow shooters but right now they are on their way to Kalifornistan.  When they return, I'd be happy to lend them to you if you email me directly with name and address.  I'll send you the go, no-go, and field reject gauges to check your bolt/receiver.  

Rome
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe Sportsmens Outpost in Wolcott has a preban Poly for sale.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
You also have to comply with the foreign parts count from the 1990 ban if you want evil features.  But, yes, the Poly Technology M14 rifles came into the United States before 09/94.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Rag, how much?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top