Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:43 AM EDT
I am currently a resident of CT and VT. I live in CT but go to school in VT thus making me a resident of both as a result of the times involved in my residency in each state. That said I just got my tax return and really want to buy myself a handgun. Problem is that I am only 20 and not 21 till October. In CT can I purchase a hangun if I am under 21 and don't have a carry permit? I don't think so but I want to check. What about VT, I know I can buy long guns here but I know nothing of handguns and age limits. I do have .mil ID if that helps, I know it makes a difference with CT purchases, no waiting period if you have a military ID, same as with carry permit. I figure if I don't buy it now I'll blow the money on something cool that comes out at SHOT and I really do want to get a pistol.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No CT pistol permit, No CT pistol,

Better luck in VT. Not sure of federal legality of dual residance for gun purchase, You might try the legal section, Before you try. Or maybe seek Private purchase in VT if it is legal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Steve - As I understand fed law, it would be legal for to private party purchase a handgun in VT during the time you are actually a resident of that state.

Where the rub comes in is when you travel back to CT.  CT prohibits the transport of a handgun into the state without a permit, with very narrow exceptions.  One exception would be the time you are moving your household goods.  No going to the range with it, etc.

CT does not require a Permit to possess, but does require one to transport/carry.  Coming back to CT over a long weekend with your handgun would be verboten.

My suggestion is to wait until Oct, as I would hate for you to get tangled up with a cop that doesn't understand the nuances of firearm law and you find yourself facing a felony.  Any time that you are back, you are more than welcome to shoot my inventory.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I think I'll just wait. I'll use my tax return as money for one of those cool new rifles coming out at SHOT, thinkin bout the FN2000 since I will be at Advanced Camp in Fort Lewis during the summer and possibly Airborne school or CTLT after Camp so probly won't be around alot over the summer. LoL, gotta love that they can issue me a handgun at 17 but I still can't own one at 20 Oh well, new rifle here I come.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I know and have read...  

I bought a handgun on my 21st birthday in VT and had it out the door within minutes.  As for Permits and CCW permits... not needed. You cant even apply to get one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh doesn't matter anymore. Spent the weekend in Montreal with a couple rook brothers and 5 girls from St Anselm's College. LoL, so long tax refund

Steve
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not  to mention that there is a huge un gun friendly place that lies in the middle of your dillema.........Massachusetts     and neither CT  or MA will issue you a non res LTC unless you are 21
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple solution, stay the hell outa Mass unless I am driving through.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top