Here are some links to the CT AWB:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294488
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/fc/2001SB-01402-R000837-FC.htm

Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Under current interpretation you can buy  rifles that resemble "AKs" as long as they are in 5.45x39 or .223 but NOT 7.62x39.

"Dragunov" styles including Romak-3 clones in 7.62x54 are unaffected, to the best of my knowledge.

I do not know if the Ohio Ordnance VZ-2000 (VZ-58 clone) is considered an "AK" type in CT or not. (It may resemble one from a distance but is a totally different animal using different parts and mags)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Under current interpretation you can buy  rifles that resemble "AKs" as long as they are in 5.45x39 or .223 but NOT 7.62x39.

Isnt it just totally retarted?? You can have a AK, but just not any of the cheaper, or popular ones that anyone else in the free world can have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isnt it just totally retarted?? You can have a AK, but just not any of the cheaper, or popular ones that anyone else in the free world can have.

almost as retarted as allowing full auto, but not select fire
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It's our Democratic majority General Assembly that is totally f-ing retarded! And worse, totally
100% ANTI FREEDOM, pro crime and anti economic prosperity
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]

I do not know if the Ohio Ordnance VZ-2000 (VZ-58 clone) is considered an "AK" type in CT or not. (It may resemble one from a distance but is a totally different animal using different parts and mags)

Interesting question.  Wonder how they would rule on rifle that uses same caliber and looks similar but not interchangable parts?  Looks like a duck, walks like a duck but doesn't quack like a duck. Doesn't meet the 3 duck requirement.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks so far.I'm still looking for the page that says NON 7.62 AK's are LEGAL.Want to keep a copy with my gun!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks so far.I'm still looking for the page that says NON 7.62 AK's are LEGAL.Want to keep a copy with my gun!

PM me and I'll fax you a copy
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you post it?No more fax machine,it's in the TRASH!Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
There was a letter signed by then head of SLFU , Lt. Robert Kiehm stating directly that the .223 and 5.45 versions of "AK clones" (in otherwise post ban configuration) were legal .

Remember, there is no legal justification, whatsoever as to what constitutes an "AK TYPE". It isn't defined by STATUTE, anywhere. It's all subjective and open to interpretation.

Right now, that interpretation is a gun that uses AK mags and resembles an AK in appearance and has other parts that interchange with an AK (such as bolt, bolt carrier, etc.) and is chambered for 7.62x39.

For over eight years since the original 1993 ban and prior to May 8, 2002 - the interpretation as ruled on by the CT State Supreme Court in 1995 - held that the rifle had to have "AK-47 AVTOMAT" on the receiver. For eight years, CT State Police SLFU told dealers at seminars those guns were legal
one fine day in Bantam, CT ............... they weren't.

The State has refused to even hear the case CCS prepared and basically told us to stick it up our asses and if we bitched anymore, they would add MORE guns to the list

Tomorrow, that interpretation could mean any semi auto from an M-1 Garand to a Remington 1100
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no "list" of "unaffected" AK clones in .223 or 5.45.

Basically what happened was the State Police came out and said "ooops" all those 7.62x39s we told you were legal and fine and danfy to sell and possess? Well - guess what? They ain't.

They "re-banned" them under the original 1993 law and grandfathered in the ones sold AFTER OCT 1,
1993 and PRIOR TO May 8, 2002 and provided a "window" of registration in accordance with the original State ban.
Lt. Kiehm basically told the state: go ahead and buy .223 and 5.45 AK clones (in post ban configuration).

You can find them at Hoffman's and other popular gunstores today. Hofffmans sometimes has a whole
rack of them with the black plastic stocks and plastic 30 rd waffle mags toward the back of the store
on the racks. At least they did recently.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
There IS a letter,that was sent to someone that CLARIFIED that "NON" 7.62 AK's are LEGAL.I just want to keep a copy of it,i've seen it before on here and can't seem to find it at this time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, no scanner
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes.

That is letter on CSP Letterhead by Lt. Kiehm I was reffering to earlier. It was from 2002 or 2003.

To clarify the question raised by the initial posting here - the poster was seeking a "list" of
"legal" "AK clones".

Try searching the archives on www.ctsportsmen.com

I'll e-mail Bob Crook and see if he can send a copy I can post here
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Crazy....I'm just happy my Saiga-20 is legal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's our Democratic majority General Assembly that is totally f-ing retarded! And worse, totally
100% ANTI FREEDOM, pro crime and anti economic prosperity

I have long contended that these people have their red and green wires cross-connected. Since their style is never to confuse any issue with facts or common sense, we will continue to see more of the same in the future.

Watch the current session of the CGA very carefully, I suspect we will see continued attempts to pass the same types of insane, anti-gun legislation that we saw last year, publicly supported by Nagin-type mayors, Chiefs of Police with attitudes like the one who performed so miserably in NO this past summer, and anti-gun rags like The Courant.

Time for another Revolution.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard them speak for many years. I've attended and testified at many public hearings on the issue.

They're not stupid or misinformed. They KNOW gun laws don't work. They continue to push for gun control because it gets their faces in the news and the TV cameras and its an easy "feel good" sensationalism ploy.

They are evil, some of them DO want communism! I have heard some of them say this indirectly because their constituents WANT to be dependent on the government for their existence at our expense
(and eventually property and LIVES)

Think about it.... it's a much bigger issue than ".50 cal" or "Assault Weapons"  - - the same a-holes
that vote for these bills are the same ones the CBIA (CT Industry and Business Council) are slamming
on their news ads for anti-business legislative agendas.

CT is the MOST expensive state to live in when you average out the numbers apart from living in NYC.
And, unlike NYC - -  - - - there are DAMN FEW good jobs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top