Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 8:29:12 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

In talking with an acquaintance of mine recently I found that he moved to Mass a few years ago with guns (some of which have greater than 10rd mag's) and never registered them and never got an FID card or class a license or anything.  He moved from a Southern state and never even realized you had to register stuff in MA.

What can he do to rectify the legal situation (short of moving which he refuses to do)?

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
He needs to apply for a class A permit. Some of his firearms may not be legal in MA anyways. We still have an AWB.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
He needs to get a LTC-A immediately (it will require taking a course first).

He needs to keep his mouth shut about possessing guns without a license or he could be looking at felony charges.

If the guns he had were pre-ban or in compliance with the Fed AWB, he'll be OK once he gets his LTC.

He does NOT need to register any of his guns (assuming no F/A, silencers or AOWs) that he brought with him, only guns he buys AFTER moving into MA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are his friend and have secure space, store the guns for him until his permit comes through. The last thing you want to have happen is that some authority visits the house for something harmless like asking about a neighbor or collecting for the PBA or something and end up busting him for those guns. We're talking FELONY here and there are some manditory sentencing laws that could maybe (I'm not sure) be brought to bear, so store them for him, please, because even if he starts tomorrow, it will take months to get his license.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
He could store the guns in NH with you till his LTC A comes through.

I agree with Len S,  he's better off not mentioning he had guns in the state.  It will only screw over an honest man.  Just get his permit and move them back to Mass when he's got his LTC-A, finger printed, and living under Kennedy's drunken hand.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Many gun stores will store your guns, FYI.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Many gun stores will store your guns, FYI.

A gun store will have to transfer them back on a form 4473.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave gun stores out of it. He should find a friend locally with a LTC or store them with a friend in NH until the paperwork is done.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've offered to store them in my safe but he has yet to take me up on the offer.  I'll suggest it again next time I speak with him.

I've told him to start the process of getting a class a license.

The state of Massachusetts really makes me sick.  To think they could and would bring felony charges on an upstanding and productive member of society because he moved there with guns and never thought to get an FID / license is a pretty grotesque warping of justice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I think that you are right but your friend moved to Mass. as his choice.  The people of Mass. chose the laws that they have.  Yes , it is too bad that an upstanding citizen would have Felony charges against him.  But that is Mass. State law.  That is why I work in Mass. but live in NH.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse.  If your friend has been informed that he is in a Felony violation, and has been slow to take action, I wouldn't feel bad for him.

I don't like Mass. gun laws so I have chosen to live elsewhere.  Because I work in Mass. I have to make sure all the mags that I take with me into Mass. are pre ban.  The same with a lower.  I have a Colt M16 RR.  I pay $100 a year for a Class A LTC.  I still can't bring my Colt into Mass.  So if I want to stop at the range on the way home, I have to drive by the range.  Go the 15-20 minutes to my house.  Pick up the 16 and drive the 15-20 minutes back to the range.  Or I can take a pre ban lower, title I upper, and pre ban mags, with me to work and stop on the way home.  That is my choice.  But I respect Mass. State law even though I don't agree with it.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top