Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 1:57:34 PM EDT
From the www.ctsportsmen.com website:
This is taken from an email I received:

CCS does not have any registration forms nor are they on the CSP website. I understand they will mail to you if requested. Or, you might ask if they're available in Bridgeport where they do pistol permits.

Call 860 685-8160/ 8114
or 860-685-8290

From members:
If you live in Connecticut and own an AK47 semi-auto clone in 7.62 x 39 caliber, you must read this! I've just gotten off the phone with the State Police regarding the "registration" of all AK47 clones (Sar 1, Maadi, etc.,etc) and have this hard info for you. As of today, 9/22/03, if you own an AK clone that fires 7.62 x 39, you MUST register your clones or risk confiscation.......period. The woman I spoke to was very friendly and forthcoming with information but she did confirm that it was necessary. Fortunately, the whole process can be done via the mail. By contacting the State Police at the number below, you'll be sent a packet of info to fillout and return. And, yes, it does include the requirement of a thumbprint...however...you can do it yourself. Go figure.

Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police, Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Post Office Box 2794
Middletown, CT 06457-9294
860-685-8290

Now I don't like this any more than any of you but let's face it; we all try like hell to abide by the laws as they are foisted on us. While this particular "law" is a mess, suck it up and register your clone or risk confiscation and the D felony that's attached to it by making that call and getting the packet as I just did. Finally, I did also query the person helping me about why this information was so vague and hard to find. It is not on the State Police website, either. I told her that I felt that many innocent owners will find themselves instant criminals as of October 1st. She did allude to the fact that there might be some additional time provided to extend the deadline beyond 10/1 but I would not count on it, especially with our current AG and legislature in power. One of the reasons the CCS has sued is because of the lack of conformity in the application of the current laws and poor communication to the general public about the regs. I hope this helps. I'm going to post this info at the other AK sites as well as a few semi-auto sites.
Went though those hoops. I went to County Club Rd.
You fill out a Cheesy paper form.They take your right thumb print .All they want to see is the original bill of sale (NOT transfer paper from the FFL).
It has to have been bought before Oct 12th 2002. Write very neatly because in the mail you will get the same paper work back. It is too big to laminate to fit in a wallet. But you have to have with you when you go anywhere with that rifle.
Thanks for the heads up on the SAR 2.
I have one of those now as well
Any update about this yet? The registration deadline of Oct. 1 will soon be upon us.
I have two "ducks" that are registered. I don't know what other guns the State police
consider to be "ducks" or which ones are swans, pelicans, ostriches, etc. Whoever is responsible for this asinine reinterpretation is a Do-Do bird.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I missed the boat on the AKs in 7.62X39 here in CT.  What's the deal with the SAR 2s (5.45X39)???  Are they still legal to buy/own here, and do they have to be registered?  Any all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah, I missed the boat on the AKs in 7.62X39 here in CT.  What's the deal with the SAR 2s (5.45X39)???  Are they still legal to buy/own here, and do they have to be registered?  Any all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

aks in 5.45 are legal and don't need to be registered, but are getting pretty scarce. I got one a few weeks ago, it's not a bad rifle but the cheesy trigger group installed by century needs to be replaced.

btw, here's the letter from the state police stating their position on 5.45 ak type rifles.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
CDuarte, did you get that letter with your SAR-2 at Newington Gun Exchange?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
nope, I got it with the rifle I bought at Valley Firearms. Feel free to print that one out if you have an ak chambered in other than 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Um I'm stuck in a little bit of a jam.  While I did buy my WSAR-1 before Oct 12th 2002, I don't have a bill of sale.  It was bought through a private party, the person I bought it from has that and I don't know how to contact him.  Any advice?.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, it's too late now unless they decide to change the deadline (which I haven't heard).  I would suggest keeping a low profile & don't get arrested for anything!!  I might also suggest going to a private range where people are less likely to ask questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top