Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 12:43:16 PM EDT
Went to Hoffmans today for the first time at their new location. While there I saw that they had stripped forged uppers and lowers made by Continental Machine for $149 as a package deal. They were $80 each separately. This is a great deal, since CM makes lowers and uppers for many companies including Rock River, DPMS, etc. So go get some!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:26:15 PM EDT
Hmmm, may have to take a run up there.

cduarde, how do you like Hoffman's new digs?

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:43:24 PM EDT
it's nicer than the old place, but doesn't seem to be much bigger. hoffmans is one of those places I don't really like to do business with due to some questionable things I've heard about them, but you can find some great deals on used guns there and they have a better selection of ammo than my local guy. I didn't buy any since I already have 4 stripped lowers, but the upper/lower combo is a smoking deal and I thought I'd spread the word.

For new stuff that I have to order, I deal with Bethany firearms even though it's kind of far since Chris does transfers for $25.

BTW, who do you deal with in CT and where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:08:49 PM EDT
IM inbound.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:19:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cduarte:
For new stuff that I have to order, I deal with Bethany firearms even though it's kind of far since Chris does transfers for $25.

We also deal with Chris and he is good people. Straight shooter and fair.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:23:16 AM EDT
What't stamped on the lower?

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/8/2003 3:03:04 PM EDT by racer934]
The upper and lower are from Continental Machine (a local CT business) and is stamped with the name of the company, New Britain, CT, CMT-15, serial and 5.56mm.

www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html

I will post pics soon.

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:03:37 AM EDT
[off topic]As an FYI: I've had fair dealings with the boys at Newington Gun Exchange and they also only charge $25 for transfers. Not trying you convince anyone to change, just giving options.[/off topic]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:21:35 PM EDT
Is this just a special, or is it an ongoing sale?
Are there any other places to buy these?

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:13:39 PM EDT
rag: From what I've heard, and it is second hand, this is supposed to be "the price." The $20 price difference (over Eagle Arms lowers from Quantico Arms) is probably because they are going direct to Hoffman's and not through a distributor. (I'm making an assumption which means I am probably blowing smoke out of my ass.)

Either way, I'm seriously considering picking up yet another lower. Seems like I always need to have one unbuilt in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:58:40 AM EDT
I agree Yellobelli about having extra lowers around, I would just rather put the money into a preban than a postban... but the price is right!

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:46:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yellobelli:
[off topic]As an FYI: I've had fair dealings with the boys at Newington Gun Exchange and they also only charge $25 for transfers. Not trying you convince anyone to change, just giving options.[/off topic]

no problem, but I'll never deal with those guys again after being quoted a different price ($10 higher) for the same model firearm that someone else had just purchased 10 minutes earlier. The thing that really pissed me off was that the other guy had never bought from there before and I had. BTW, their prices are way on the high side and some of the sales people leave a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:47:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By racer934:
The upper and lower are from Continental Machine (a local CT business) and is stamped with the name of the company, New Britain, CT, CMT-15, serial and 5.56mm.

www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html

I will post pics soon.

so I guess you did get one, good deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:39:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cduarte:
no problem, but I'll never deal with those guys again after being quoted a different price ($10 higher) for the same model firearm that someone else had just purchased 10 minutes earlier. The thing that really pissed me off was that the other guy had never bought from there before and I had. BTW, their prices are way on the high side and some of the sales people leave a lot to be desired.

I've never bought anything from NGE. I've only used them for transfers. Maybe I'll have to try Bethany next time since it's a bit shorter drive. To be honest, I'm still looking for a retail store that "fits me".
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:14:19 AM EDT
YelloBelli,
Not sure where you live... but try The Sportsmen's Outpost on Rt 69 in Wolcott!

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:30:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rag:
YelloBelli,
Not sure where you live... but try The Sportsmen's Outpost on Rt 69 in Wolcott!

I'll take a drive up there next time I'm needing something to do. For me, CT is small enough that I don't mind driving for the right service. Having grown up in AK, being able to drive to three neighboring states in a little more than an hour is a bit of a luxury.

(For what it's worth, I live in lower Fairfield County so NGE, Bethany Firearms, Hoffman's etc. is all a drive. Sometimes though, it's nice to just go out for a drive rather than popping down to Forest & Field, Hansens or D'Andreas.)
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:35:01 PM EDT
Picked one up tuesday nice lower for 84.97 out the door.They said they had a lot of them. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:34:13 AM EDT
I have a general request!

When you mention a dealer/distributor, could you please include the town and the full name of the place? I searched Verizon's www.superpages for "hoffman" in CT and there were 111 hits, so I gave up trying to figure out where this place is!

Not everyone knows every store and where they are, but if the deal is good enough some of us might be willing to travel to buy it!

I live in MA and perhaps I would be interested in driving to someplace in CT and buying a lower for a good price? Even though it is legal to buy rifles/shotguns in any of the 50 states (face to face from an FFL), not sure that they would sell to a MA Resident nor am I sure that it's legal for me to transport it back to my home state without a CT CCW, but it might have been worth a phone call if they were in the Eastern part of CT.

Funny (but related) and true story: Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn, MA is the highest volume dealer in MA (and great people to deal with www.fsguns.com) and Carl will tell customers to put "Four Seasons" on a check (and that's what's on their credit card slips) . . . many customers slide their purchases by their Wives since the Wives think that they are paying for something at the Four Seasons Hotel (in Boston). <g> Other funny stories about our addiction to firearms can be found at fsguns.com/dearalbiecolumn.html

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:26:20 AM EDT
LenS:

Hoffman Gun Center
2208 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT
(860) 666-8827

I haven't double checked, but I think this might be the old street address. They are still on Berlin Turnpike, just about a mile south of their old location. (I can hit the Boston suburbs in about an hour and fifteen minutes from the Newington Area.

In CT, you don't need a CCW to purchase long guns. However, if you don't have a CCW or a state hunting permit, you'll have to deal with the two week waiting permit. I'm not sure how that applies to out of state purchases, so I'd call the gents at Hoffman's.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2003 8:02:53 PM EDT by LenS]
Thanks for ID'g Hoffman's location.

After reading CT Laws, it wouldn't be worth two trips (2 week waiting period) to CT (I'm about 2 hrs from Hoffman's) to save a few bucks on a frame. Also it isn't clear from reading CT Law that a Non-Resident could even buy a long gun in CT (or legally transport it back to MA).
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:05:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 6:21:15 AM EDT by dnra]
LenS, I thought you obeyed all the "laws".I may be wrong with all the "New MA Legislation" but I thought any bordering state was OK for long gunz sales even w/private parties. Ammoman + Natchez still sell to MA. NOW!..sssssssshhh.....dont rat!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 8:44:57 PM EDT by LenS]
Not quite. MA passed a law that essentially forbids Non Residents from buying any long guns, or ammo in MA!! Simons Rock shooting (non resident student ordered the ammo mail order to his dorm) resulted in this brain-dead law.

States don't have to allow non resident purchase of anything. Even though Fed law allows for purchase of long guns from FFLs in any of the 50 states now, not just adjoining states.

CT's 2 week waiting period makes it legal (apparently) for me to buy a long gun/frame there, but it's just not worth 2 trips of >110 miles each way to do this sort of transaction.

Fed Law prohibits purchasing any gun out-of-state from a non-FFL. So any private sales must be from resident to resident in any state.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:07:23 AM EDT
Damn,... MA and its new Yellowpage's sized book of laws I'm a regular @ Rockinghams Parks funz shows, the NH dealers there prod MA residents to come to NH for "long arms deals/sales", they seem to have no problem selling to MA residents.........your posts here seems to be directed at "NON RESIDENTS"
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:30:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2003 3:30:25 AM EDT by Emoto]
Is "The Armory" in New Preston still around? They had lots of cools stuff when I was living in CT some 20 years ago...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:51:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dnra:
Damn,... MA and its new Yellowpage's sized book of laws I'm a regular @ Rockinghams Parks funz shows, the NH dealers there prod MA residents to come to NH for "long arms deals/sales", they seem to have no problem selling to MA residents.........your posts here seems to be directed at "NON RESIDENTS"

Please read what I wrote carefully (yup, it can get confusing).

MA Resident with proper LTC/FID can purchase long guns in any of the 50 states (as long as the other states allow for it, still must put up with any waiting periods, etc. that the other states require).

NON-MA-Residents can purchase essentially NOTHING in MA, due to a dumb-ass MA law passed after a bunch of Simons Rock students were bused into the State House and testified that since a student at their school was able to purchase ammo as a non-Resident (of MA) and shoot up some fellow students at the school, that the MA legistraitors should "close the loophole". Now a NR (of MA) can only purchase target ammo at a MA range, but MUST use it all up there (can't take home even 1 round), that's it!

As a MA Resident if I attend a FL gun show in certain FL counties, I must meet a "waiting period" to actually pick up any gun (including C&Rs on a C&R FFL purchase) UNLESS I have a FL CCW. Similar laws exist in some other parts of the country as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:25:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Emoto:
Is "The Armory" in New Preston still around? They had lots of cools stuff when I was living in CT some 20 years ago...

I think they are, I've never been there but have driven past it a few times. I grew up in Woodbury, which isn't that far, but live in Windsor and don't get out that way too often. Hmm, looks like an excuse to get on the bike next weekend and check it out.
Top Top