Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2003 8:17:15 PM EDT
Any body one the board from north central MA or anywhere in MA...

Templeton, MA signing in........
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. SE Mass here. Plymouth county.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Right in the middle. Framingham area..
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Used to live up in Lunenburg, MA up by Fitchburg.

Living in Quincy now though.

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hey were neighbors Cape cod Here lets go shootin!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It's nice to know there are some other gun lovers in this state. Sometimes I feel like the only one when I am around all the liberal
hippies in this state.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Lived in Westminster from '67 to '95.  Still visit family there once a month.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Small world I work at tyco in Westminster.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
North Central MA, I didn't think anybody lived up there.

Southwestern here.  30 mins due north of hartford.

Link Posted: 4/19/2003 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's nice to know there are some other gun lovers in this state. Sometimes I feel like the only one when I am around all the liberal
hippies in this state.

Aint that the fu%$#in truth uuuuggggghhhh we are the minority Thats OK  bring out the Black rifle at the range EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeevil
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
99- My older brother is a software guy at Tyco- I'd say his name but his tinfoil hat is at least as big as mine, with twice as many ground straps.  He never caught the gun bug but is a hardcore rightwinger.

I live just south of Nashua now, a mere 4 miles from a place where you only need a driver's license to buy a gun, and concealed carry permits are handed out like kleenex for 10 bucks. Probably moving there sometime this year.

Westminster used to be a place where you could take your gun out in the field to shoot it, but the poplulation has gotten big and liberal enough now that the police would be getting a call after the first shot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
North Central MA, I didn't think anybody lived up there.

Southwestern here.  30 mins due north of hartford.

Hm, I'm over the border in CT, but from the sounds of it we're neighbors.  Enfield here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
southboro heah
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hippies in this state.

The funny thing is that gun rights are supposed to be protected by 2A, so shouldn't even enter into the liberal vs. conservative equation.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy to. Where do you usually go? Here is where I usually go: www.hansonrodandgunclub.org/
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy to. Where do you usually go? Here is where I usually go: www.hansonrodandgunclub.org/

users.rcn.com/srgc/
Havent been to hanson but wanted to for the MG shoot looks like fun. How far is Hanson from the Cape?
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

users.rcn.com/srgc/
Havent been to hanson but wanted to for the MG shoot looks like fun. How far is Hanson from the Cape?

Oh yeah, the MG shoot is BIG fun, and a good reason to come check the place out. It benefits the club and the Shriners Children's Burn Unit.

From your club in Rochester, it looks like my club is a 30-40 minute drive. I'd head over to rte 495 and go north to 104 East, then cut over to 27 North to Elm street (in Hanson) to Davis Road, but if you really inbtend to come up, IM me and I will grab a map and confirm those direx...
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, my atty just renewed his license in MA. In their attempt to further restrict firearms ownership in MA. the NEWer than the last  99''license requirements,references,mustbegunclubmember,certificates,etc. is 6/8 pages long. Still at the "MAY ISSUE" of the CLEO for better than a FID. I do not know if this was specific to his town, or is statewide. With MA being one of the "origional" colonies there are still some laws on the books.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I live 5 minutes from where I shoot:

www.brp.org
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be relocating to Boston pretty soon at the USCG base in Boston Harbor. I should be stationed there for four years if all goes well. How bad are the gun laws in Mass? I'll probably keep my AR's and other toys in Maine depending on how restrictive Mass is.....Jon
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
J Smith,

You can currently still own AR's in Ma., but the efforts to ban them here don't die.

You cannot own an AR in Boston.  They are banned there.

Before bringing your guns into Ma., you should call the police chief of the town you intend to live in, and ask if he issues Class A or Class B permits.  Class A allows large capacity handgun and magazine ownership, Class B does not.

Also, you may not want to bring your guns in till you have your Permit in hand.

You will need this when you fill out an FA-10 form (available at all Police Stations) to register every gun you own with the Mass Criminal Systems History Board.  This is the part about Ma. that really bothers me- registration of all firearms into their database.

More importantly, any handguns you bring into the state must be "approved" and on the list in Massachusetts, or you can't bring them in.

Alot of manufacturers make Mass compliant versions of their guns (SIG, Beretta, etc...) so they can be on the list, but some companies like Glock don't, so no new Glocks here.

If your police chief only issues Class B permits, and you own a Beretta 92 for example, you can't bring it into Mass, even if you leave your hi-caps out of state, because the 92 is merely capable of accepting them, you'd be breaking the law.

Good luck- I'm probably moving within a year, and plan on NH since I've going to have to pack anyways.

Edited to Add:  

You wouldn't happen to be stationed in Rockland, ME. currently?  My folks live there.  Beautiful area.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
J Smith,

You can currently still own AR's in Ma., but the efforts to ban them here don't die.

Before bringing your guns into Ma., you should call the police chief of the town you intend to live in, and ask if he issues Class A or Class B permits.  Class A allows large capacity handgun and magazine ownership, Class B does not.

You will need this when you fill out an FA-10 form (available at all Police Stations) to register every gun you own with the Mass Criminal Systems History Board.  This is the part about Ma. that really bothers me- registration of all firearms into their database.

More importantly, any handguns you bring into the state must be "approved" and on the list in Massachusetts, or you can't bring them in.

Alot of manufacturers make Mass compliant versions of their guns (SIG, Beretta, etc...) so they can be on the list, but some companies like Glock don't, so no new Glocks here.

If your police chief only issues Class B permits, and you own a Beretta 92 for example, you can't bring it into Mass, even if you leave your hi-caps out of state, because the 92 is merely capable of accepting them, you'd be breaking the law........

WOW, and this is in the US, right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
J Smith,

If your police chief only issues Class B permits, and you own a Beretta 92 for example, you can't bring it into Mass, even if you leave your hi-caps out of state, because the 92 is merely capable of accepting them, you'd be breaking the law.

Sorry, lots of mis-information here!

- So called AWs require an additional permit if you live in Boston. I don't know how easy it is to get the AW permit, but I do know that it almost takes an act of congress to get a LTC in Boston proper! We have one set of state laws, but each of the 351 towns/cities interpret them differently and frequently through their own requirements on top of the state mandated requirements.
- Recommend the idea of "interviewing" potential Chiefs to understand where you might want to move. Fully agree with that one.
- State law does NOT require registration of any guns you own when you move into the state, only those obtained (or brought into the state, exception is strictly when you "move in" with them) while you live here! It also allows you up to 60 days to possess the guns in your home upon moving here while you're getting your LTC. However, it usually will take more than 60 days to obtain and that would make you a felon if you still had physical possession of guns/ammo/mags without the LTC after 60 days.
- You may bring any/all handguns you own into MA with you, regardless of being MA approved. No dealer will buy them from you because they won't be able to sell them to MA residents, but there is absolutely NO restriction on what can be "imported" here when you move here. You just need to get the proper class LTC for them (LTC-A covers all handguns).
- If a handgun is "on the list" of high capacity handguns, then a LTC-A is required even if you don't own a high capacity mag. If you have a gun that is not on the list but own a high capacity mag for it, then you must have a LTC-A as well (e.g. 1911 with a long stick mag for 13-20 rds).
- As noted, some towns issue only restricted LTCs (for instance, Boston) or LTC-B only (Brockton seems to be doing this) and thus it pays to avoid living in these places!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Another from SE MA. Belong to Braintree R&P and Ames R&P (Easton).
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
- You may bring any/all handguns you own into MA with you, regardless of being MA approved. No dealer will buy them from you because they won't be able to sell them to MA residents, but there is absolutely NO restriction on what can be "imported" here when you move here. You just need to get the proper class LTC for them (LTC-A covers all handguns).

Isn't an FID all that is technically required?  You would need an LTC if you wanted to legally transport, but an FID does allow you to posess within your home.

Checking with the police chief in whatever townyou're interested in moving to is an excellent idea, since many towns have any of a number of crazy rules and regulations beyond that required by the state to issue a permit.  My recent favorite is the new requirement of some towns that you provide a letter from your doctor confirming that you are mentally sound.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Larry,

The 1998 law made possession of handguns with an FID illegal, creating lots of felons that don't know that their "lifetime FIDs" are no longer valid and that they aren't in lawful possession any more! Only exception is if the handgun was bought with a "Permit to Purchase" and an FID originally and the person still has a copy of said "Permit to Purchase". Research by the Chairman of the Gun Control Advisory Board found only a handful of "Permits to Purchase" had ever been issued across the state, so this is really a moot point for almost everyone. Since 1998 you need at least a LTC-B for any handgun (low capacity only and not on the "List" of defined high-capacity handguns) or LTC-A for any handgun. Most of the requirements to get an LTC-A are the same as those for an FID.

You are correct, although we have one state law, each town can make their own "rules" to meet their definition of "suitability". Numerous towns now require an MD to certify a person's mental health state (although they aren't usually legally qualified to do so),
"special training" or qualification coureses, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Larry,

The 1998 law made possession of handguns with an FID illegal, creating lots of felons that don't know that their "lifetime FIDs" are no longer valid and that they aren't in lawful possession any more! Only exception is if the handgun was bought with a "Permit to Purchase" and an FID originally and the person still has a copy of said "Permit to Purchase". Research by the Chairman of the Gun Control Advisory Board found only a handful of "Permits to Purchase" had ever been issued across the state, so this is really a moot point for almost everyone. Since 1998 you need at least a LTC-B for any handgun (low capacity only and not on the "List" of defined high-capacity handguns) or LTC-A for any handgun. Most of the requirements to get an LTC-A are the same as those for an FID.

You are correct, although we have one state law, each town can make their own "rules" to meet their definition of "suitability". Numerous towns now require an MD to certify a person's mental health state (although they aren't usually legally qualified to do so),
"special training" or qualification coureses, etc.

DAMN
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]
i was one of those guys with the lifetime FIDs, they sent me the forms to change to LTC and I never got around to it, 5 or so yrs past, Im IN Bosnia, email the chief of my Local PD to find out the requirements, tells me about the safety course I need, OK, but I spent the last 6 months with a M-9 pistol, and an M-16 no more than arms reach, Im a certified Range Safety Officer, and one of the CQM Instructors for the company, cant I just bring a letter from my CO?
No.
8 Hrs and 45 bucks later, I felt much safer, knowing which end of the gun the bullet came out of, and the difference between centerfire and rimfire.
Geez.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, Sen Cheryl Jacques can be thanked for writing a law that is totally ludicrous and has so many "gotchas" that almost anyone can be charged with a felony!

There are NO exceptions to the training requirement unless the person was "grandfathered" by having an active old license and going to new license. Besides, the local chief can require ANYTHING he wants under the "suitable person" criteria. Lots of states are requiring the training. I had to do this for my FL NR CCW even though I've had an active LTC for 25 years at that time and had spent 19 years in law enforcement (FL only exempts FL LEOs from training requirement).
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Hubby and I are from western mass. (westhampton)
Have no problem getting LTC from our police chief.
Just renewed mine.
Mrs. Wildweasel
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Western MA is usually much less of a problem for LTC than Eastern MA! My Wife is up for LTC renewal with her "interview" next week. We'll see how it goes. Our chief is anti, and threw a number of inappropriate questions (e.g. does she belong to a club, is the ammo stored locked up at a different location than the firearms, etc.) at her last time (and I stepped in and "shut him down"), but I recently helped him convert 3 surplus smgs into 7 CAR15s for the troops (doubling the number they would have gotten from the dealer that the PD was talking with), so he may act a little nicer towards my Wife this time?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Checking in from Northborough, MA, two towns east of "Woostah".

Actually, acc. to cops I know, there are quite a few gun owners here, many more gun owners than the libs would have us believe.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#32]
95thFoot
Nice to hear from you.
It's nice to know we are not alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top