Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 2:04:43 AM EDT
Ok, gonna have to buy a new scope at some point in the future for my new Grendel build.  My Loki sports a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16X44 Dead Hold BDC which is a second focal plane scope.

This time I think I'm going to step into the big leagues and go with a first focal plane scope with one of those "Christmas tree" reticles that I've avoided for so long because they look so intimidating.  Since I've been wanting to learn how to shoot long distance I figure this rifle will be perfect beginners choice so I might as well get the right scope now.  

All this considered, and me not having any real experience with either Mildot or MOA in this capacity or being a math whiz, if you were me, what would you choose? And why?

I need advice!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter much. I prefer Mil but just keep everything the same. Reticle, turrets and what ever other tools you may be using like a laser range finder, app, etc.. Most will support both.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/20/mil-vs-moa-an-objective-comparison/

ETA: Search YouTube for "Todd Hodnett", He is the long range master.

Todd Hodnett on Gridded Horus Reticles
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with a milret with mil turrets. Simplifies everything.

Having used mil rets with MOA turrets for years I finally tried a milret with mil turrets. Its amazingly simple and makes you wonder why they didn't match them up that way to begin with. 1 mil high? 10 clicks to fix it. No doing MOA math to get your adjustments.

I have also used BDCs over the years and will stick with milrets from now on. Just as easy to use and far more versatile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top