User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By cope10:
Originally Posted By Tannim:
How about a loaded gun in my glove box?

If not in my GB, where in the car?

No loaded guns in your car without CHL.  To transport a gun in oklahoma it has to be unloaded and in plain sight(without CHL) .  I think you can keep a loaded mag seperated from the gun.  I'm not 100% sure on the mag.  Check into it before you go off me.

In plain sight? So if I have an unloaded pistol in the glove box and the magazine is in a completely diferent location in the car is that illegal since it is "concealed"?
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Eric802:

Originally Posted By x-red-x:

No loaded guns in your car without CHL. To transport a gun in oklahoma it has to be unloaded and in plain sight(without CHL) . I think you can keep a loaded mag seperated from the gun. I'm not 100% sure on the mag. Check into it before you go off me.

In plain sight? So if I have an unloaded pistol in the glove box and the magazine is in a completely diferent location in the car is that illegal since it is "concealed"?

Bump hoping for an answer...from what I can tell from reading the statute, the unloaded pistol I normally keep, in a zippered case in my center console, would have to be out in the open (like sitting on the passenger seat) when I drive through OK later this week. The mags could stay in the center console, but the pistol itself, in or out of the case, has to be in plain view?

I've got the same question.

Could it be out in the open, or in a case, or in a gun mount, or did it have to be all of those things?
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Credge:

Originally Posted By Eric802:
Originally Posted By x-red-x:

No loaded guns in your car without CHL. To transport a gun in oklahoma it has to be unloaded and in plain sight(without CHL) . I think you can keep a loaded mag seperated from the gun. I'm not 100% sure on the mag. Check into it before you go off me.

Bump hoping for an answer...from what I can tell from reading the statute, the unloaded pistol I normally keep, in a zippered case in my center console, would have to be out in the open (like sitting on the passenger seat) when I drive through OK later this week. The mags could stay in the center console, but the pistol itself, in or out of the case, has to be in plain view?

I've got the same question.

Could it be out in the open, or in a case, or in a gun mount, or did it have to be all of those things?

Take a look at these laws

1289.13A

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there anything in here that outlines what is legal as far as flash supressors on AR15's?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it isn't a misspelling. A slung shot is something like a lead weight attached to a cord at one end, and say your wrist at the other. The lead could be thrown at someone, and then retrieved to either repeat the throw of concealed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Is carrying your sidearm chamber loaded prohibited in any way by the SDA?  It has been years since I went thru the class, and some folks who recently took a class were of the opinion that you had to carry with an empty chamber.  I am hoping that they are mistaken because it sounds rediculous and contrary to the purpous of the SDA.  My EDC is a combat commander .45 on condition 1 and would like to think I am following the statute correctly.  Is this just some confusion on the part of new folks attending the class?
Many Thanks,
dave
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ddart:
Is carrying your sidearm chamber loaded prohibited in any way by the SDA?  It has been years since I went thru the class, and some folks who recently took a class were of the opinion that you had to carry with an empty chamber.  I am hoping that they are mistaken because it sounds rediculous and contrary to the purpous of the SDA.  My EDC is a combat commander .45 on condition 1 and would like to think I am following the statute correctly.  Is this just some confusion on the part of new folks attending the class?
Many Thanks,
dave

The answer to your question is NO. You are correct in suspecting confusion on the part of the new people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi all,

I just checked the linked laws and read the thread and didn't see an answer, so I'll ask here.  I'm going to be stationed at Ft. Sill in August.  Georgia (where I am now) has an exemption that allows military personnel to carry without a permit.  I'm just wondering if Oklahoma has anything similar, or if I can't carry until I get my permit.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By blackeagle05:

Hi all,

I just checked the linked laws and read the thread and didn't see an answer, so I'll ask here.  I'm going to be stationed at Ft. Sill in August.  Georgia (where I am now) has an exemption that allows military personnel to carry without a permit.  I'm just wondering if Oklahoma has anything similar, or if I can't carry until I get my permit.

Thanks!

I do not believe we have that exemption in Oklahoma.

Link Posted: 6/7/2011 2:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a question regarding carrying loaded magazines in a vehicle.  I have a couple buddys that tell me that it is illegal to carry a loaded magazine in a car regardless of whether it is in the gun or not.  Ive read through the laws linked and ive become a little confused.  I understood it as you can carry them loaded as long as they are in a locked compartment or outside your vehicle.  If this is the case and im not mistaken which i often am, how would i carry them in say an SUV which has no lockable trunk or outside compartment?  Any help clearing my confusion would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By brunnels:

I have a question regarding carrying loaded magazines in a vehicle.  I have a couple buddys that tell me that it is illegal to carry a loaded magazine in a car regardless of whether it is in the gun or not.  Ive read through the laws linked and ive become a little confused.  I understood it as you can carry them loaded as long as they are in a locked compartment or outside your vehicle.  If this is the case and im not mistaken which i often am, how would i carry them in say an SUV which has no lockable trunk or outside compartment?  Any help clearing my confusion would be greatly appreciated.

It is my understanding that this is correct.

Stick them in a container that can be locked and stick that way in the back by the door.

Link Posted: 6/7/2011 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the help, do you think a duffle bag with a pad lock would qualify as a lockable storage container?
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By brunnels:

thanks for the help, do you think a duffle bag with a pad lock would qualify as a lockable storage container?

Possibly, but I wouldn't trust it personally if a cop pulled me over and was looking for something to ticket me for.  A gun case with the foam removed would work.  I have a couple military ammo cans that I drilled a hole in the front, added an eye bolt, then dremeled out the locking part to fit over the eye bolt.  Then I fill them up, close them, slap a padlock on it, and go.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#15]
I have a question concerning CCW and owner's rights.
Is there an 'official' no guns allowed signage?
I just noticed, the gas station I stop at in the mornings has what appears to be a "no 1911s allowed" posted on the inside of the door.
I checked the links and did not find anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
I just noticed, the gas station I stop at in the mornings has what appears to be a "no 1911s allowed" posted on the inside of the door.

There is no specific wording that has to be followed like some of the other states. The universal circle with slash with a gun inside of it or actual vinyl letters that say "No guns allowed" or "Firearms Prohibited" all carry the same weight in Oklahoma.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 1:58:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dustyattic] [#17]
I have a simple question, but am a little confused by the terms used in the documents.

First of all,  what exactly does the term "magazine loaded"  mean?  Does it refer to a magazine which has ammo in it, or a firearm with a loaded magazine inserted?

Until I know that for sure, attempting to understand the rest is hopeless, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, OR in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, OR in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, OR in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Should I take that first paragraph as written or should it include at least one "OR" somewhere in the second sentence?   As it is now, it's an impossible task, since it specifies first "plain view" and then later, "exterior locked compartment".   It would only be possible if you have it in a case, and the case in a rack, and the rack in a locked plexiglass box outside your car for everyone to see.  

I know that's absurd, but my point is, without knowing where the "OR" goes, it's useless.  I assume the "OR" should go where I highlighted in RED.

Now the second part is where the "magazine loaded" question comes in.  I take it to mean I can stick the empty AR15 in my trunk,  and have the fully loaded magazine up in the center console.  But I'm worried assuming will get me in trouble if "magazine loaded" means "loaded magazine".

Can anyone point me to clear legal references, or suggest who I should contact to get something in writing to protect myself legally?

Edited to add:  Furthermore, the second sentence says carrying it concealed behind the seat is OK.  I guess this is simply adding another legal place to carry a gun?  So you can put it on the dash,  or in a rack, or in a case, or in the trunk, or behind the seat, as long as it's not "magazine loaded"??

Really confusing.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Dustyattic:

I have a simple question, but am a little confused by the terms used in the documents.

First of all,  what exactly does the term "magazine loaded"  mean?  Does it refer to a magazine which has ammo in it, or a firearm with a loaded magazine inserted?

Until I know that for sure, attempting to understand the rest is hopeless, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, OR in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, OR in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, OR in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Should I take that first paragraph as written or should it include at least one "OR" somewhere in the second sentence?   As it is now, it's an impossible task, since it specifies first "plain view" and then later, "exterior locked compartment".   It would only be possible if you have it in a case, and the case in a rack, and the rack in a locked plexiglass box outside your car for everyone to see.  

I know that's absurd, but my point is, without knowing where the "OR" goes, it's useless.  I assume the "OR" should go where I highlighted in RED.

Now the second part is where the "magazine loaded" question comes in.  I take it to mean I can stick the empty AR15 in my trunk,  and have the fully loaded magazine up in the center console.  But I'm worried assuming will get me in trouble if "magazine loaded" means "loaded magazine".

Can anyone point me to clear legal references, or suggest who I should contact to get something in writing to protect myself legally?

Edited to add:  Furthermore, the second sentence says carrying it concealed behind the seat is OK.  I guess this is simply adding another legal place to carry a gun?  So you can put it on the dash,  or in a rack, or in a case, or in the trunk, or behind the seat, as long as it's not "magazine loaded"??

Really confusing.

Thanks...

Red: I've always understood it to mean that as long as there is no ammunition inside the firearm or a detachable magazine it should be good to go.  I've transported my shotgun on several occasions stuck behind my seat with a box of shells either in the toolbox in the bed, the glove box, or the center console.

Blue: With the gun in one compartment in the vehicle and the magazine in another I think you would be fine.  Since a long firearm in a trunk or exterior locked compartment can be magazine loaded, but not chamber loaded, (Section 1289.13 of the SDA) then if you put the AR in the front and the loaded magazines in the trunk, or both in the trunk, you should be well within the law.

Note:  I'm not a lawyer, this is merely my best interpretation of the law.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TwoBravo:

There is no specific wording that has to be followed like some of the other states. The universal circle with slash with a gun inside of it or actual vinyl letters that say "No guns allowed" or "Firearms Prohibited" all carry the same weight in Oklahoma.

Okay.
But, this was on the inside of the door; not visible from the outside (obscured by tint & burglary bars).
I don't want to seem argumentative and I respect the property/business owner's rights....but, there must be some standards; at least in regards to visibility?

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By TwoBravo:

Okay.

But, this was on the inside of the door; not visible from the outside (obscured by tint & burglary bars).

I don't want to seem argumentative and I respect the property/business owner's rights....but, there must be some standards; at least in regards to visibility?

I've never heard of any in this state.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice post and thank you! I have a lot of reading to do, as I may be moving to OK in Oct. Typical gun & CCW laws though, wording can be extremely "interpretive" and/or confusing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a question for the hive, concerning section 1272 & prohibited weapons. I wish to carry alternate means of defense in places where I
Cannot legally carry my firearm. What I'm considering is an asp, probably 12 to 21 inches in length. I have read & reread this statue and am still confused. I don't want to stray to the illegal side of the law so until I find out the answer it will have to stay at the house. Thanks in advance, Chris
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Headed to Tulsa tomorrow for the big show and had a question or two before I head out.  I know my AR permit is honored there so that isn't an issue - but was curious about Section 1272.1 - Carrying Firearms Where Liquor Is Consumed - specifically how is it determined what "constitutes the primary purpose of the business."  in relation to alcohol sales and carrying?  I saw that OK has the duty to inform if stopped while carrying much like AR, and signs don't have to meet specific criteria to be legal.  Any other gotchas that an out of state visitor might not expect as it relates to complying with your carry laws?

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 6:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#24]
I've wondered that too.  As I understand it if it's a place like a bar that also sells food but it's primary role is a bar it's a no carry spot.  If it's a place like a steakhouse that's primary role is food but also sells alcohol it's ok.  The law is a bit vague for sure but Oklahoma specializes in vague laws.

Now....a place like Hooters it's a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Are there any laws in relation to printing while in OK? With a valid KS CCW license, Say I have a pancake holster and a jacket over it. If someone notices, ( lib do gooder or LEO ) and either way it becomes an issue where an LEO is involved, am I subject to arrest or ticket/fine for "printing"?

Thank you in advance for any help here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Storm_Tracker:
Are there any laws in relation to printing while in OK? With a valid KS CCW license, Say I have a pancake holster and a jacket over it. If someone notices, ( lib do gooder or LEO ) and either way it becomes an issue where an LEO is involved, am I subject to arrest or ticket/fine for "printing"?

Thank you in advance for any help here.

Not anymore, Oklahoma is now an open or concealed carry state, it is no longer illegal to print
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Suppressors, what does thus great state have to say about them?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Orracle:
Suppressors, what does thus great state have to say about them?

Oklahoma state law says you must follow all federal laws. Your biggest hurdle is getting your CLEO to sign off on it. If he/she wont then set up a trust and go around them. Dont forget once you get it to go back to them and show it off
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I have some questions about bringing rifles into Oklahoma from Texas. I'll be visiting some friends near Stroud and they want me to bring a few rifles. 20" Ar15 604 clone,10/22, & 17hmr CZ 452. I tried reading the laws, but I don't do legalese very well. All I figured out is they need to be unloaded, in a gun case, and will be locked in my truck's tool box and magazines unloaded while traveling. Guns will be going back to Texas with me when I leave. Anything else I need to know? Also, my buddy has some brazen coyotes getting close to the house. Can I pop them while I'm there? Would I need an out of state hunting license? Or are they considered pests and fair game without a license. His house sits on about 40-50 acres in the middle of nowhere. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
You are good to go transporting unloaded long guns but no hunting without an out of state license, nuisance or otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, I guess I'll let him get them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a question about 1289.7 and 1289.13 regarding long guns in a vehicle with a carry permit.

The part of 1289.7 I am concerned about says:

The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

View Quote

The part of 1289.13 I am concerned about says:

However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
View Quote

Does this mean I can have a long gun with the chamber empty and the magazine loaded in the passenger compartment of a vehicle if I have a valid carry permit?

It seems to say that to me but I am not a lawyer and I have no knowledge of what this means to the courts or LEOs in OK .

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#33]
The most current revision of the Oklahoma SDA law came out on 11-1-14 and it looks like they tried to clarify this. The way I read it though, if you have a loaded magazine in place in your rifle, and you have your SDA license, you still can't have your rifle up front with you. You used to be able to do that. That "exterior locked compartment" stuff they added to that was in the last revision I believe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#34]
You can have it in the interior compartment magazine loaded chamber empty if you have a carry permit. The provisions laid out in 1289.7 only bar felons or those without a carry permit from doing so. It also covers you if, for example, you load up your 17 year old son and have a cruiser safe AR in the cab. If you stop to get fuel you're just fine as long as you remain near the vehicle, they can't ding your son for transported a chamber loaded firearm because he's the only person actually inside the vehicle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I have what I think is a unique situation. A former sub-contractor of mine moved to Oklahoma (yes I am in Texas) a few years ago. Today we were talking and CHL came up and I asked him if he had acquired his there yet. He told me he could not. I asked why and he said citizenship.

His mother married a GI and the man is a permanent resident alien (since a boy [yes he was born in Germany]) who has never had the full cash at one time to get his citizenship. He served 8+ years in the Army, is DAV, clean record and solid member of society so I suggested why not get a Texas Non-Resident CHL which he said he had never thought of.

Well, I became curious and called the Oklahoma AG which sent me to the records department and spoke to a man who said, though not an attorney, he thought that would work from his reading and his reading was not legally binding. I replied of course and said a Oklahoma attorney would be contacted but am curious as to what y'all think about this legal solution.

Thank you and appreciate your time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wingman26:

IMHO Looks good to me, a man who has carried a rifle to defend this country should be able to get that license, and should have some kind of rapid and inexpensive path to citizenship.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wingman26:

He served 8+ years in the Army, is DAV, clean record and solid member of society

IMHO Looks good to me, a man who has carried a rifle to defend this country should be able to get that license, and should have some kind of rapid and inexpensive path to citizenship.

Agreed and thank you.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#38]

It looks like I last posted in this thread back in '11.  I wonder if-

A. The grammar and punctuation of the law has been corrected to make it clear, and/or anyone has become confident of what it really means.

B. If the recent constitutional open carry law affects the specifics I am interested in, which is how to legally carry long guns in vehicles.

Here's 4 situations, please inform me as well as you can if they are illegal, and why.

1.   A farm truck traveling over public roadways, from home to several individual cow pastures and back home.  Rifle lying either on seat or in floor with loaded magazine inserted, chamber empty.
2.   Same as above except loaded magazine is not inserted, but in door panel or center console.
3.   A four door pickup with loaded magazine(s) in center console,  and with an unloaded rifle in zippered soft case under rear bench seat.
4.   A 2 door car with magazine(s) in center console, with unloaded rifle in zippered soft case in trunk.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#39]

A. The grammar and punctuation of the law has been corrected to make it clear, and/or anyone has become confident of what it really means.

B. If the recent constitutional open carry law affects the specifics I am interested in, which is how to legally carry long guns in vehicles.

Here's 4 situations, please inform me as well as you can if they are illegal, and why.

1.   A farm truck traveling over public roadways, from home to several individual cow pastures and back home.  Rifle lying either on seat or in floor with loaded magazine inserted, chamber empty.
2.   Same as above except loaded magazine is not inserted, but in door panel or center console.
3.   A four door pickup with loaded magazine(s) in center console,  and with an unloaded rifle in zippered soft case under rear bench seat.
4.   A 2 door car with magazine(s) in center console, with unloaded rifle in zippered soft case in trunk.

View All Quotes

You can't carry a long gun magazine loaded on a public roadway without a carry permit. The law book doesn't say anything about keeping a loaded magazine handy.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:36:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#40]
I recently relocated from TX back to OK.

My understanding is that under the TX License To Carry laws, I am legal to CC in OK despite the fact that I'm a resident of OK now because of reciprocity.

I updated my CHL in Texas to show my new OK address.  Am I covered under OK law with my new TX license?  I'm reading between OK and TX laws and my understanding is that I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sed6] [#41]
Non-NFA SBS okay in OK?

I don't think so. Read about them here.

Here's why. Law

All of which bums me out. I had planned on shortening my new PGO Mossberg to 14" but it looks like I'll need to submit a Form 1 first. Anyone have opinions or other info that might help?

click for a pic
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odontia32m] [#42]
question;

Please only answer per OK law, no conjecture or BS comments.

I walk a  county road with no leash law.  I have and do CCW.  There is an aggressive a (huge) Great Dane.  I have spoken to the owner in a respective manner that I feel threatened.  I have told her I do not want to harm their pet and make her children sad.  When I walk past I stay on the far side and make no direct eye contact.  When the children are out the hold it.  They seem the adults.

On 3 occasions I have had it in the road 5-10 ft away very aggressive at gun point.  I raised my other hand and yelled.  It is getting more bold.

I called the SO today to get this on record of fearing for my safety.  They were wishy washy on if I could shoot it legally.

1.  I pointed out if it was a human threatening harm I could,  he agreed, but still unsure about a damn 120 pound dog.

2.  He stated he would talk to the family and talk with the DA.

3.  I spoke to the PD and they said unless I endangered others all I could worry about was a civil suite from the owners.  (Big deal) and very unlikely.  They said no way would criminal charges be filed.

4.  I have read the regulations and there is no definitive answer that was in Indiana law where I lived last.

5.  Last year while delivering food for the church I had a PBD come over a fence.  The dog police locked it up, fined the owners and told me I should have killed it.  That was in town where it is supposedly illegal to discharge a firearm.  I do not believe that trumps self defense OK Statutes.

So the question.  Can I legally defend myself on a county road against an aggressive and huge animal ( non human) without first being actually bit.  I know that sounds stupid but one deputy illuded to being bit first (. Uuhhhhhh hell no on that option),

Thanks

ETA:  there is no other route to walk where I Live.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Hello
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:05:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#44]
If you are legally carrying and their dog attacks you, you are of course allowed to defend yourself.  The only thing that would negate that was if you were on the dog owners property.  I'm not a lawyer but during my time as a police officer it's what was law.  You can't stop the family from filing a civil law suit but as they told you, they would never win.  As long as you are in the right you have little to worry about.  It's the dogs owners who are responsible for the dogs actions regardless of leash laws.  I'd make sure I reported each time the dog acted threatening to you while you were on public property to show a history of the dog being violent.   I would HATE to have to shoot someones pet but I'm not going to get myself mauled over it either.  No, you are not required to "take a bite" before defending yourself but you also have be able to prove you were in danger also.  That's where the filing reports each time thing comes in, it establishes a pattern of the dog behaving violently and being off the owners property when it happens.

You mentioned the PD and the SO, whichever agency has jurisdiction is who you should be talking to.  What the other says is irrelevant.  I'd go to the office of the agency in jurisdiction and discuss it with them.  Give them the facts and make a report.  If the one of them was wishy washy it's likely because they weren't comfortable saying one way or the other without knowing all the details.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odontia32m] [#45]
Thanks just wanted to her the PDs side for kicks as they encouraged me to kill a Pitt last year on private property as it jumped a fence and wanted me .  A fire arms instructors wife already had it on site as we were just delivering welfare rat food.  I had isn't lazed and got close to pulling the trigger.

I will call the Da not the ADA Tues, since this is now county , not city
Now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quick question,

TN resident living in OK for a few months while working an internship. I want to buy a lower receiver online, can I since it's not considered a rifle? or what are the laws on this if anyone knows. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By civic96hb:
Quick question,

TN resident living in OK for a few months while working an internship. I want to buy a lower receiver online, can I since it's not considered a rifle? or what are the laws on this if anyone knows. Thanks
View Quote

Lowers are the serialized part of an AR so the lower is the gun according to the ATF.   You can buy an upper without going through an FFL but you CANNOT buy a lower without going through an FFL and following all the applicable laws.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:30:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sed6:
Non-NFA SBS okay in OK?

Here's why. Law

All of which bums me out. I had planned on shortening my new PGO Mossberg to 14" but it looks like I'll need to submit a Form 1 first. Anyone have opinions or other info that might help?

click for a pic
View Quote
Now OK dealers are selling the Mossberg Shockwave version of this firearm.This seems to imply that it is legal in Oklahoma. (The definition cited in this post seems to make handguns like 410 derringers, T/C Contender, Judge, Governor Sawed Off Shotguns)
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By OlPinOKC:
Now OK dealers are selling the Mossberg Shockwave version of this firearm.This seems to imply that it is legal in Oklahoma. (The definition cited in this post seems to make handguns like 410 derringers, T/C Contender, Judge, Governor Sawed Off Shotguns)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OlPinOKC:
Originally Posted By sed6:
Non-NFA SBS okay in OK?

Here's why. Law

click for a pic
"It is illegal to possess a sawed-off shotgun (barrel less than 18 inches) or a sawed-off rifle (barrel less than 16 inches or total length less than 26 inches). Possessing a sawed-off weapon in a felony punishable by a maximum of 2 years in prison."

"A. “Sawed-off shotgun” shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion."
It doesn't matter who may be selling it, the Shockwave is illegal according to OK law. Whether or not anyone cares is another story.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top