Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:41:44 PM EDT

www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=100878

2 Percent Of Oklahomans Have A Permit To Carry A Concealed Weapon

49,221 people in Oklahoma have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which is less than 2 percent of the population. One of those is a 75 year old retired man who shot a robbery suspect this weekend inside a Tulsa grocery store.

News on 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright takes a look at the law.

Tulsa Police say two men confronted a store employee at a Homeland grocery store near 91st and South Memorial on Saturday and demanded money at gunpoint.

A 75-year-old man, who was standing in the checkout line, legally had a revolver hidden inside his pocket. He pulled it out and shot at the robbers. Tulsa Police Sgt Mike Huff: "Fired a couple of shots. One hit one of the suspects in the mid-torso area. We feel he is seriously injured."

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation says 7,622 people in Tulsa County have a permit to carry a concealed weapon anywhere except into government buildings, schools, universities, jails, places that sell beer, places where there's betting, professional sporting events or any other business that forbids it. Violating that part of the law will cost you a $250 fine and you'll have your permit suspended for three months.

The News on 6 could not find a posting at the 91st and Memorial Homeland store, prohibiting firearms.

Tulsa Police say deciding to shoot isn't simple, even when it's legal. Sgt Mike Huff: "We always have to think about our backdrop, what we're shooting at, if we miss it, what will we hit and if there's a gun battle, if they miss us, what are they going to hit. It sounds simple but in a split second, it's a big decision to engage someone in deadly force."

What police officers can't publicly say is most of them secretly applaud citizens who defend their own lives or the lives or others. Sgt Mike Huff: "The bad guys with guns are shooting at people and they have no rules to follow. They obviously disregard the laws. The good, hard-working people are the ones who are following the rules. Over the years, they've acted very responsibly."

58 concealed permits are currently under suspension, the state revoked 18 of them last year.

Tulsa Police say this weekend's shooting appears to right in line with the law and folks with Homeland told us they have no comment.

Tulsa Police say if the robbery suspect doesn't get medical treatment soon, he could die, in fact, they wonder if he might already be dead.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:12 PM EDT
That is an awesome story.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:35:25 PM EDT

What police officers can't publicly say is most of them secretly applaud citizens who defend their own lives or the lives or others. Sgt Mike Huff: "The bad guys with guns are shooting at people and they have no rules to follow. They obviously disregard the laws. The good, hard-working people are the ones who are following the rules. Over the years, they've acted very responsibly."

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:51:21 PM EDT
I heard about this a couple of days ago...but the newscast today was awesome! This was, by far, the most 2nd amendment friendly news story I've seen in many years...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:56:21 AM EDT
Fox23 did a nice pro CCW story last night. I beleive they were at Tulsa Firearms?, interviewing the owner and a couple people at the range.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
the last time..a station did interviews at TF..
kelly and the bunch wanted me to be interviewed by jerry gordano...

he was shocked at my 5 year old shooting his .22 rifle..and wouldnt even shoot my SW99 compact.
the girls at fox23...probably would have shot it..for cryin out loud.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 4:25:41 PM EDT by schutze]
Appaerntly the good guy had his gun confiscated for processing after the shoot.
Obviously he will get it back after the investigation is over.
Accoring to police,he was irate about not getting a property receipt for it.
One Tulsa Police officer offered to loan one of his personal handguns to the guy until he gets his back.
In this thread,there is more info about the incident.....
www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3381
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schutze:
Appaerntly the good guy had his gun confiscated for processing after the shoot.
Obviously he will get it back after the investigation is over.
Accoring to police,he was irate about not getting a property receipt for it.
One Tulsa Police officer offered to loan one of his personal handguns to the guy until he gets his back.
In this thread,there is more info about the incident.....
www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3381

Anytime the police take anything, a reciept should be recieved. I would question them as to why they did not want to give one, and I dont by the excuse, they did not have anything to write on, a piece of paper and description of the item and serial number and the officers signature would be all that was needed.

Also another reson to have a another handgun waiting for you at home.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:36:32 PM EDT
While i agree that anything would be good,"anything" might not be official.
According to Mike,they do not have access to a property receipt numbers at the scene.
Top Top