Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 4:24:49 PM EDT
well looking at how world events seem to be turning out, I've resolved to buy at least $150/ month of ammo, I got a feeling if iran goes to the euro, then the value of the US dollars going to drop through the bottom, and gas'll be $3 bucks a gallon before the end of april, figure I'll get at least a K of 22lr, got plenty of reloading stuff for everything but a AK and 223, going to look at some 223 dies tomarrow, probably be buying the value packs of 223 and 762x39 to get a stock of brass built up,

now I wish that I'd bought up all those hornaday AK bullets for $6/100 when southwest shooters went out of business.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
There's so much moore to buy than ammo though. Better heard over to the SF.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I invested a chunk of change in a foreign currency index fund and it has returned almost 20% in a year. You're right about the dollar diminishing in value. But it can't drop too far simply because everyone has a bunch of them - including the Chinese - over $300 Billion. It may keep us out of war or be the reason we go to war. Who the hell knows?
But buying ammo is not a bad investment, anyway you look at it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Nden we need to come up with the cheapest place to buy bulk component's and get some 223 stuff... i have the dies and can easily crank out 400 or more an hour ... as long as the case work is done..... right now all i have reloaded is some 52gr hpbt MK over h335 it is super acurate out of my savage tactical ..... but i've never tried them out of an ar since i only have a cpl hundred left loaded
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
kinda off topic- How much are .223 or 5.56 tracers?
I bought 850 the other night at work for $80 and got a belt of about 300(every 5th one a tracer) plus 800 loose rounds for another $100.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought 850 the other night at work for $80 and got a belt of about 300(every 5th one a tracer) plus 800 loose rounds for another $100.  

if you bought  800 loose tracers for a 100 you got a good deal be happy....
if their the real deal I'll give you a 100 for 400 of them...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

X2 + eleventy billion  Thats all I think about all day long at work.  Being prepared is freaking expensive
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they have an orange tip and the brass has "LC  97".
Is that the real deal?  Let me know and we can deal.
I know they light up around 80 yards or so
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No,  you better just give em to me so I can dispose of them.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds like the real deal to me..... i would be happy to buy 400 tracers for 100
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

really can't think of what else I need besides ammo, I got plenty of canned/dry goods for me and my family and some extended family for about 6months, don't need fuel or a generator, I got two artisian wells, one within 100 yards of my parents house, enough farmable land and seed to farm with, got plenty of stray dogs for meat, would have to cut fire wood, to cook with and heat the house, and I have family with medical/surgical skills, and others with strong backs, we all came from the same background and know what it takes to survive a self suffient lifestyle,

I'm sure I would need some stuff at some point in time, but I can revert back to living like an indian pretty easily, got plenty of land to raise hogs and cattle on, so I don't think I'd have too many problems besides the adjusting to no A/C in the summertime, but I could do with loosing some weight, so the hard work would be twofold,

and we're all determend to keep what is ours, so yeah, I think all I need is some ammo right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nden we need to come up with the cheapest place to buy bulk component's and get some 223 stuff... i have the dies and can easily crank out 400 or more an hour ... as long as the case work is done..... right now all i have reloaded is some 52gr hpbt MK over h335 it is super acurate out of my savage tactical ..... but i've never tried them out of an ar since i only have a cpl hundred left loaded

the bulk of my hunting will more than likely be done with a 22lr, but I would feel safer being/providing protected[tion] with a hard caliber of 223 and greater, I got all the reloading stuff for the 308, just never felt I needed it for the 223 till now, I know for a fact I can load it cheaper now that I can buy a case of wolf, and I really doubt that I'd need very much on hand, but as always its better to have and not need, the to need and not have,

I figure in a shtf/teotwawki situation, once you started hanging the wannabe's outta trees on your perimiter, it'll keep all the slackers and non hackers away thats looking for an easy grab away(theres plenty of easier marks in my surrounding area), and you'll spend your time fighting the hardcore bands trying to take what you've prepared, and for them I'd rather have something other than a 22lr when it comes down to pickin' and grinin', hence my need for reloading components and readily loaded 223.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's what it costs to reload .223 in bulk quantities.

Bullet .035 55 gr FMJBT Winchester bullet
Primer .018
Powder .030  2240 rds in 8 lbs AA2230C
total .082

8.3 cents per round

$83 per thousand

Bullets from Midway USA
Powder from Powder Valley in Kansas powdervalleyinc.com/

You can change that over to Hornady 55 gr Spire Point, which is a good accurate soft point bullet, that brings the cost per thousand to about $100, this is now my standard load in 223.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I invested a chunk of change in a foreign currency index fund and it has returned almost 20% in a year. You're right about the dollar diminishing in value. But it can't drop too far simply because everyone has a bunch of them - including the Chinese - over $300 Billion. It may keep us out of war or be the reason we go to war. Who the hell knows?
But buying ammo is not a bad investment, anyway you look at it!

well Dan if the middle eastern countries switch over to the euro to purchase oil on the open market, the US economy is fucked, the G has already started printing more money and flooding the market to pay its forigen debts, which cheapens the dollars value against the euro and yen, just the talk of the monitary switch has caused gas prices to jump .17 cents this past week alone, and the forcasted day for advising of  the switch is on the 20th of this month(monday),

if iran does switch to the eruo on monday, then gas prices will more than likely experiance an enormous jump, which in turn will raise the cost of everything else to offset,

I could be wrong and might just be talking out my ass about the gas price jump and US dollar/economy drop, but I know that when the cost of living raises, then people quit spending money for entertainment, and thats what pays my salery, now I don't need very much money to pay my bills, about one will pay all of them per month, I sure would hate to be homeless and living in my parents shed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Primer .018
total .082

8.3 cents per round

$83 per thousand

Bullets from Midway USA

You can change that over to Hornady 55 gr Spire Point, which is a good accurate soft point bullet, that brings the cost per thousand to about $100, this is now my standard load in 223.

I done some figuring too but I was going off 1 lb cans I bought  from Dongs.....man did I ever take one for the team  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Primer .018
total .082

8.3 cents per round

$83 per thousand

Bullets from Midway USA

do you worry about useing canelured(sp?) bullets for the ar
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#17]
i also seen 1 fired brass size trimmed swaged for 64 a 1k and or 30 a 1k no prep work done
...... trying to decide if its worth my time to do the prep work......

I'm wanting to load up a few k of 52 and 69 gr smk's to keep on hand...... after seeing what the 52's  did i was impressed.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I done some figuring too but I was going off 1 lb cans I bought  from Dongs.....man did I ever take one for the team  

Yeah buddy. I went to Ding Dong's when I first moved here in 1995. I laughed my ass off then. I went back to Ding Dong's sometime in 2002 and laughed even more. I won't go back. I still never bought anything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Of course gas prices will go up, I just bought a truck

You need to lower your prices for the uppers you sell,,,to balance things out....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Primer .018
total .082

8.3 cents per round

$83 per thousand

Bullets from Midway USA

John, you nailed that one bud! The only thing I do different that makes the cost a little higher is that I use Varget and BLC-2 bought locally. That's for blasting. The serious stuff get's a bullet switch to Sierra 55 gr. Blitz King for both the .223 and .22-250. I just now finished this weekend's supply about 10 min. ago. 300 round's

Guy's if your like me the only thing that suck's about reloading is that I shoot it faster than I can reload it! If you factor in your time it is not cheaper to reload, but you get better result's than factory stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

well Dan if the middle eastern countries switch over to the euro to purchase oil on the open market, the US economy is fucked,

Brother L, the economy is fucked anyway. The Department of Commerce said we need 10 more ports the size of New York/New Jersey over the next 10 years just to handle the imports.
When you can't get the goods you need or selll the goods you have, wars get started. The US is even sending raw food materials overseas to be processed and shipped back.
Yeah, we're screwed - short term, middle term, long term.
And gas will be $5 a gallon before the summer is over, not $3.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
do you worry about useing canelured(sp?) bullets for the ar

Both the Winchester 55 gr FMJBT and the Hornady 55 gr Spire Point have cannelures, it doesn't make any difference as there isn't any need to crimp the bullets, they work fine without crimping.

100 yd group
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i also seen 1 fired brass size trimmed swaged for 64 a 1k and or 30 a 1k no prep work done
...... trying to decide if its worth my time to do the prep work......

I'm wanting to load up a few k of 52 and 69 gr smk's to keep on hand...... after seeing what the 52's  did i was impressed.....

I'm going for the $30 per k stuff, I figure I got plenty of time to load it up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And gas will be $5 a gallon before the summer is over, not $3.

the $3 bucks was for the end of april, I'm just getting ammo situation lined out, I don't have anything anyone would want to steal anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top