Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 8:21:59 PM EDT
I see lots of you guys posting at every hour of the day & night. Just wondering if you ever get enough sleep or rest. I just started new job and work about 44 hrs. a week so I get plenty of rest. I only need about 6 hours a night to feel rested. What say you?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I must politely ask you not to use certain words, they can often be considered obscene, and we don't want no dirty words on here like:  work, job etc  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I must politely ask you not to use certain words, they can often be considered obscene, and we don't want no dirty words on here like:  work, job etc  

Oops, I forgot about the use of those two obscene & dirty words. I'll try and clean up my act.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I work anywhere from 40-70 hours/w just depending on how busy we are.  I get any where from
4-6hrs of sleep on work nights and then probably about 8+ m weekends I dont work and have no plans
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I do fine on  4-6 hours.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a real problem with insomnia........ had it ever since i was a kid........
At 36 it blows i stay tired half the damn time and sleep while I'm driving to and from work.....

So when I quit posting for a while one of you guys who know my number call and .......... you'll get someone on the line that will tell you I got killed in a car wreck
Not hard to figure out how I'm going out either that or a shooting
I fell asleep about 5~6 yrs ago crashed my work van doing 70
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
get about 3 to 4hrs. a day, more on my days off, work between 48 and 60hrs/week, post on my lunch and breaks on occasion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Its been a few years, but I have read some great articles about sleep and attended a few related lectures.

Do we really need sleep?  Maybe not.

I read about a European lady that only slept for 45minutes per night.  She came to the US (forget which university) for a sleep study.  On the first night she didn't sleep.  The second night was 20min and each night after was about 45min each.  She was just as normal as everyone else, just needed less sleep.

I read about another sleep study with a teenage boy.  He stayed awake for 6 days (IIRC).  On the last day he was playing a video game (baseball) against one of the scientists and still managed to beat him allmost every time.  When it was over, he slept 18 hours and then was right back to his normal schedule.

Why do we NEED sleep?  I haven't found a good answer to that question.  Why DO we sleep?  One of my old professors brought up an interesting reason.  He said that just like many other things, it evolves over thousands of years based on need.  When the cave man was running around avoiding dinosaurs, he was at a real disadvatage at night time.  They didn't have Surefire, so he was often easy prey for a dinosaur.  What did the caveman do to protect himself?  He went inside a dark cave and laid down very still until daylight came.  You can picture how this turned into what we call sleep thousands of years later.

How many of you have had to drastically change your amount of sleep or sleep patterns; e.g. new job, school/work, new born, etc ?

When I was in school and working full time, there were some semesters that I would only be able to sleep 3-4hours per day.  Coming down from 7/day, it seemed really difficult. I was tired all the time.  However, after a week or two to adjust to the new conditions, my body was better able to handle the 3-4hours.  

I think that sleep is not really as important as many folks believe.  I think we can all get by with much less of it.  I'm not truly convinced that we even need it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do we really need sleep?  Maybe not.
I do, as much as I can get sometimes

I read about a European lady that only slept for 45minutes per night.  She came to the US (forget which university) for a sleep study.  On the first night she didn't sleep.  The second night was 20min and each night after was about 45min each.  She was just as normal as everyone else, just needed less sleep.
she just needed to get laid, she'd sleep like a warmed up well fed baby afterward

I read about another sleep study with a teenage boy.  He stayed awake for 6 days (IIRC).  On the last day he was playing a video game (baseball) against one of the scientists and still managed to beat him allmost every time.  When it was over, he slept 18 hours and then was right back to his normal schedule.
little bastard needs to get off the couch and run around outside, he'd sleep

Why do we NEED sleep?  I haven't found a good answer to that question.  Why DO we sleep?  One of my old professors brought up an interesting reason.  He said that just like many other things, it evolves over thousands of years based on need.  When the cave man was running around avoiding dinosaurs, he was at a real disadvatage at night time.  They didn't have Surefire, so he was often easy prey for a dinosaur.  What did the caveman do to protect himself?  He went inside a dark cave and laid down very still until daylight came.  You can picture how this turned into what we call sleep thousands of years later.
those neanderthals needed the rest after a hard day of hunting and gathering, look at aly oop

How many of you have had to drastically change your amount of sleep or sleep patterns; e.g. new job, school/work, new born, etc ?
hadn't really had any problems since my work schedule got set days, last year we worked a revolving shift schedule for a month, we worked 4 day weeks on first, second and third shifts in the same week, that sucked monkey ass  

When I was in school and working full time, there were some semesters that I would only be able to sleep 3-4hours per day.  Coming down from 7/day, it seemed really difficult. I was tired all the time.  However, after a week or two to adjust to the new conditions, my body was better able to handle the 3-4hours.
you get used to it pretty quick as long as the hours you sleep stay consistant everyday

I think that sleep is not really as important as many folks believe.  I think we can all get by with much less of it.  I'm not truly convinced that we even need it.
I can go on little sleep for a while, but eventually I gotta get caught up on the rest, or I become irratable and inhospitable,  my good humor and quick wit depart and my already very low tollerance for putting up with stupid people and their whinny assed horseshit rapidly decreases to near nonexistance levels

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats very interesting Doc. and it does make sense. I believe that if we condition ourselves then the body adapts to the circumstances. Its funny how if I have just a short powernap I feel completely rested as if I had slept for a couple hours. It amazes me though whenever I hear of those who suffer from insomnia & the lack of sleep they get compared to me. I always thought it was because I was older and more worn out & worn down from abusing myself.ha.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Ndenway you crack me up!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a real problem with insomnia........ had it ever since i was a kid........
At 36 it blows i stay tired half the damn time and sleep while I'm driving to and from work.....

So when I quit posting for a while one of you guys who know my number call and .......... you'll get someone on the line that will tell you I got killed in a car wreck
Not hard to figure out how I'm going out either that or a shooting
I fell asleep about 5~6 yrs ago crashed my work van doing 70

HaHa, I must have had insomnia from bout 86' till 95', worst year of it had to be in 91' I was partying with my then GF, literally drank for nearly three days strait, passed out somewhere in there and woke up in Reno, NV., credit card took a hit hard on that one, and back when I used to drink quite a bit, I'd write a check and it'd bounce, I'd get all pissed cause I knew I had money in the account, go down the the bank for a statement and it'd have a shitload of atm withdraws that I had apparently made while drunk and forgot about, I had to get rid of the atm card at that point, didn't dawn on me at that time that I might have a drinking problem, but thats a different story for when ya'll grow up.....yep, that has to be what I had.....Insomnia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top