Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:21:51 PM EDT
I know nothing about them, so educate me.

What is a good AK to buy?

I do not like the wire stocks, I do like the wood stocks.

I like the 7.62 round.

Other than that I am ignorant of such things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I will let you play with my Polytech if you want?

What do you want to know about them?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Romanian WASR is cheap, ugly, and never fails to fire when you pull the trigger. Spending big bucks on an AK is really contrary to the original intent of the rifle.  Cheap, ugly, and super reliable is the biggest attraction about AKs.
The first one I built - I think you shot it at Lexington in March/April of last year - is the one I carry in the truck all the time. We busted around 200 rds out of it this afternoon, just as fast as we could pull the trigger. Hope it didn't piss off my crazy neighbor lady!
It's a great truck gun, made for blasting!

+1  I like mine, but it is in 5.45.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Romanian WASR is cheap, ugly, and never fails to fire when you pull the trigger. Spending big bucks on an AK is really contrary to the original intent of the rifle.  Cheap, ugly, and super reliable is the biggest attraction about AKs.
The first one I built - I think you shot it at Lexington in March/April of last year - is the one I carry in the truck all the time. We busted around 200 rds out of it this afternoon, just as fast as we could pull the trigger. Hope it didn't piss off my crazy neighbor lady!
It's a great truck gun, made for blasting!

true,  It really just come down to how pretty and smooth you want the gun to be.  They all function great.   Although the some triggers are better then others and some can be a little more accuarate to given its still an AK.   It  just comes down to what you want.

I have many of thousands of rounds in mine.  I have taken it out several times and shot a 1-2
case(s) of ammo in a weekend with no cleaning at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It must be AK season.  Just recently I've been looking at parts kits and the like recently.
All I know is:
30 round mags.
metal and wood.
7.62*39
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They're fun guns to have/ shoot. Mine has repeatedly went through a 75 round drum with no complaints....well....1 complaint from anman but thats only because he was holding it wrong and burnt his finger.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
x2 on burning your left hand.  I wear a glove when I get my drums out
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I thought I was the only one with drums in this gang! Cool. What kind do you have? How many??
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
everybodies gotta have at least 1 AK, their cheap enough you can beat the shit outta them and not worry about the cost or them breaking, bout the only way to ruin one is run over it with a tank, unless its built ona flat, those are kinda soft.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought I was the only one with drums in this gang! Cool. What kind do you have? How many??

I have one chinese 75 rnder that I got for a hell of a deal and one romainan 75rd.  They are excelent for bumping and/or dear hunting
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool..I have a 75 round chinese drum....I don't think I'd like the romanian kind so I've stayed away from them. And whatcha mean by a "hell of a deal"? I picked up my chinese drum for $40 bucks......
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Cheap,ugly and super reliable is the biggest attraction about AKs.

Ugly? An Ak Ugly? Hell No. You wanna see ugly Dan?  Look in the mirror.

AK's are a thing of beauty. No matter what kind.  I'll post some pics of my UGLY AK's when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool..I have a 75 round chinese drum....I don't think I'd like the romanian kind so I've stayed away from them. And whatcha mean by a "hell of a deal"? I picked up my chinese drum for $40 bucks......

$40 is a hell lot of a hell of a deal then what I meant.   I got mine for a hair under what the romanians are/were going for.  The romanians are ok and function great but suck to load.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my home made one, but you can buy brand new Romanian's from about $329.95 in OKC, with a regular hand guard instead of this one.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ugly? An Ak Ugly? Hell No. You wanna see ugly Dan?  Look in the mirror.

Alas, one more person envious of my incredible good looks, superior intelligence, and extreme modesty!
In this case, Ark, ugly means TOUGH!

As far as rifles go, this is a thing of beauty:

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's my home made one, but you can buy brand new Romanian's from about $329.95 in OKC, with a regular hand guard instead of this one.

Where at?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#16]
ARSENAL
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be interested in a FTF purchase for a good, reliable, one in the next couple of weeks. If some of you have one you'd like to sell, let me know please. Romanian is fine, I'm not picky. I'm not looking for a tricked out one, and I prefer one with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd be interested in a FTF purchase for a good, reliable, one in the next couple of weeks. If some of you have one you'd like to sell, let me know please. Romanian is fine, I'm not picky. I'm not looking for a tricked out one, and I prefer one with a fixed stock.

WHAT? Don't tell me you've stopped building them!! Pookie, my bro, told me a couple nights ago he has 11 AK's in his gun safe right now. He would have 1 additional AK but he gave that plum kit to me for my birthday last year. He bought only 1 complete one which is his Mak-91. And the lucky sucker also has a rare 100 round chinese drum!! Now he's lookin into gettin some Stoner 63's......he's got too much time n moneyon his hands.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I will let you play with my Polytech if you want?

What do you want to know about them?

You can shoot the ammo you gave me through my Mak if you'd like. I don't mind sharing....especially when you gave me such a sweet deal on that stuff!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#20]
true story, me a this dude I worked with were drinking at a bar on grand and robinson, we walk outta the place and this hooker comes running up and says hey fellas, ya'll want to party, and I drunkinly slur "huh", and she stops and says, ah hell, ya'll indians, you god damned indians ain't gots no money, shoots us the finger and stomps off, I just laughed and asked if she had change for a nickel?

hey I posted this on the wrong thread, it goes on the sheriff one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#21]
What is,

A WASR?

A  SAR?

Which is better?

What "make" of AK is better over the others? Romanian, Bulgarian etc....

Will all AK mags work in all AKs?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#22]
The WASR is a low cap [single stack mag] rifle imported and converted to double stack. It's about the cheapest ak on the market. The finish is very ruff both wood and metal. The WASR rifles are imported in the same calibers as the sar rifles. I have heard very bad reports of the WASR-2 and WASR-3.
Most WASR rifles can be had for $325 to $350

The Sar series of rifles are Double stack rifles imoprted a few yeras ago. There importation was stoped in 2003 IRCC. They are much like the WASR types with ruff metal and wood. These are an excellant base for a nice rifle. They were imported in 3 calibers The Sar-1 7.62x39 the Sar-2 in 5.45x39 and the Sar-3 in 5.56x45.

Both the WASR and SAR are Romanian rifles imported by Century. Both the WASR and SAR could come with sorry FCG's. If you buy one of these the trigger could have very bad slap.

Most SAR rifles can be purchased used for $350-$450

If you want a real nice rifle look for an Arsenal Inc rifle. They come in the same 3 calibers that the WASR and SAR come in.

The Arsenal Sam-7 is a 7.62x39 rifle with a milled receiver. It's one of the finest ak's on the market today. They will cost you more than a WASR/SAR the price for a used SAM-7 will run about $550-$650
The price is worth every penny IMHO.

The Sam-5  is a 5.56x45 rifle with a milled receiver. These are getting hard to find. The mags run about $20-$25 each and only one type of mag works in this rifle. These run about $750 new or $600-$675 used. Thay are also fine rifles and worth every penny.

The SLR-105 from Arsenal is a great rifle. It like the WASR rifles is imported as low cap and moded to take high cap mags. The major difference in the WASR and the ARSENAL SLR105 is the imorter. Care is taken to mod this rifle to double stack. You can get one of these new for $420-$460 they are also worth the extra $ IMHO.

All ak's will work with all AK mags of the right caliber. The exception is the 5.56ak rifles. No two from differnt counts are alike. Chicom polytech 5.56 mags will not work in a Norinco 5.56 ak.

But all 7.62 and 5.45 ak mags interchange.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#23]
What is a WASR2  and a WASR3?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is a WASR2  and a WASR3?

As WASR-2 or 3 is much like a Sar-2 or 3 but not as nice. A WASR 2 is a AK-74 in 5.45x39 a WASR-3 is 5.56x45
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
OK so if I picked up one that came from SOG or AIM it would be rough, BUT would make a good beater.

If I want a nicer rifle, go for a Arsenal Inc rifle. I beleive ARK has one of those and I have shot it, correct?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OK so if I picked up one that came from SOG or AIM it would be rough, BUT would make a good beater.

If I want a nicer rifle, go for a Arsenal Inc rifle. I beleive ARK has one of those and I have shot it, correct?

Yes I have a Arsenal SAM-7. If you go with a WASR I would advise a WASR-1 in 7.62x39.

Go with the Arsenal you know you want one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have any class, you'll get a Polytech Legend/Underfolder! All other AKs just don't quite measure up to that one!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool, I've been looking for a topic about these. I just ordered an Arsenal SAR105-A1 in 5.45X39.  Glad I made the right choice!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a real beauty.
Arsenal SA-93 converted to p-grip with U.S. parts. Side slingswivel, Crylic markings and lower tang done by Troy Sellars. New FSB and gas block installed by me.  Sandblasted and Norrels coated by me. The coating is a mixture of Socom black molyresin and High gloss black molyresin 50/50/.
Total invested $443 My next step is to send Z_recto my type III stock set for refinishing. I'll post pics when the stock set returns form him.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
my polish SF

well guess not, gotta get some new pics.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#31]
My brother just built an AK pistol....he told me while he was laughing..."its a blast to shoot, there's a big fire ball comin out the barrel everytime you pull the trigger! Like a 3 foot fireball....its great!"

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Saiga converted AK-103's are fun. www.ak-103.com  Mine was local made but Chris Butler rocks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
 I got my Arsenal SAR-105A1 in today, and it's better than I expected!  Very nice quality and finish, the trigger group seems to work very smoothly without a lot of trigger pull.  I didn't think I'd like the black furniture but after handeling it I think I'll just leave it on there.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's a Polytech Legend AK. Got it for $500 or so back around 1988.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Here's a Polytech Legend AK. Got it for $500 or so back around 1988.

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/danc46/PolytechAK.jpg

I think Ive seen that bayonet before......................
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think Ive seen that bayonet before......................

Yep, that's the bayonet you sold me. My son traded off the original for a Gerber belt folder when he was 12!
The only thing I don't have from the original kit is the plastic oil can!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top