Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 6:52:30 AM EDT
Where is the best place to look and touch? Where is the best place to buy them?  

My brother in law is wanting to buy a single shot .223 and I have almost convinced him to an AR but he has never even held one.  

I know that I can build one cheaper but it is faster to buy one and be done with it. I have looked for used ones but they go pretty fast. So it looks like I will buy new and build one later when I come across a good deal.

I have seen the ones at Acedemy and have been in Spartans once and noticed them, but was not looking for an AR then.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you located?

Sportsmans Warehouse on Memorial has a few AR's in stock.  They have pretty small selection, but its good enough to give you an idea.

And Q3131 for $4.69/box.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Cushing.....about the same distance to OKC or Tulsa.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Sportsman's Warehouse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If in OKC look at outdoor America, H&H gun range, Brigadoon's or Sportsmans Warehouse.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I was browsing in H&H a few days ago, they had a number of AR's, I didn't really look at the prices, H&H can be on the high end.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one at H and H when they had the big sale.  I got another from a board member.

Dodgenuts, you can shoot mine to get an idea of what they are like.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the offer DrBaker.

It looks like we will be going to Tulsa tomorrow to look.

Then maybe the OKC area the next day, I would like to go to Sportsmans warehouse. I have heard all good about Sportsmans Warehouse.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]
If you were close to me you could touch n feel mine.....my AR that is! hahaha
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Dodge if you're in Tulsa head to OPS..... they carry RRA.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Stay away from OPS. My experience, the place is a sh1t magnet.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I guess that makes it official.

Well......They've treated me well on several occaisions and a dozen or so people I can think of off-hand.  It's amazing how they stay in business.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Never had a problem with OPS.  Always treated extremely well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been to OPS once and was treated well. I had forgot they have ARs. Thanks for the heads up on OPS.

How many different makers? RRA, Bushmaster , Colt and ?

Which brand is good but won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
OPS carries RRA and you'll probably get a very good price there.
Spartan had quite a few but I didn't look to see what brands they had.
Sport's Wolrd *might* have a couple.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Be careful of what schutze says - "Him speak with crooked forked tongue!"
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Go away J.P.!!!

Anyhow dodge, Sportsmans Warehouse is right by where you and I met for the 10/22.  While in OKC you can also check out Outdoor America and H&H(although their prices are a tad bit high).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Cushing.....about the same distance to OKC or Tulsa.

HEY!! I grew up there.  

Quoted:
I've never had a problem with OPS, I do get a lil' tired of Baconbit McGlocksucker in there expounding on the wonders of Gaston's creations though.
Mike mainly carries DPMS stuff
The last (emphasis on last...ie. final) time I was there, they had a pretty decent selection....all of which were overpriced.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought an RRA complete lower with collapsible stock from SOMEBODY here on this site. It has made one hell of an accurate rifle when I got an RRA upper.  The rifle is fabulously accurate with GOOD ammo, not that steel commblock crap!
That SOMEBODY gave me a hell of a deal on the lower. He's a little contrary sometimes but I'd highly recommend him for getting an AR if he'd step up and tell us who he is!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: I bought an RRA complete lower with collapsible stock from SOMEBODY here on this site. It has made one hell of an accurate rifle when I got an RRA upper.  The rifle is fabulously accurate with GOOD ammo, not that steel commblock crap!

Well you said it Dan and I'm callin ya out!! Either you've shot this rifle with "steel commblock cap" or you're just assuming! So which is it? A myth or are you subliminally saying (to yourself) that you'll step up to that challenge and disprove this accuracy thing you mentioned?? You said its an accurate rifle with good stuff not the cheap stuff.....now step up to the plate now and try that rifle with some cheap ole wolf ammo to see if its just as accurate then. Otherwise you can't really say "this rifle is fabulously accurate with GOOD ammo, not that commblock crap". C'mon Dan.....don't be backpeddalin n scared now. Heck, I have Wolf 62 gr FMJ and 55 gr FMJ I will let you use for this accuracy test. I'll load up 5 rounds in 1 mag and 5 in another for you to test out!! Put up or shut up, step up to the plate, don't be an ole geezer n come up with some b/s excuse....step up old man! hahahahahahaha I'll even bring a digi cam so we can get pics of the groupings!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Careful what you ask for, Rat! You ain't even good enough to carry my dirty socks yet!
No, I ain't gonna shoot that or ANY steel cased cartridges out of my ARs. Plain and simple, I don't like it in my rifles other than AKs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Careful what you ask for, Rat! You ain't even good enough to carry my dirty socks yet!
No, I ain't gonna shoot that or ANY steel cased cartridges out of my ARs. Plain and simple, I don't like it in my rifles other than AKs.

BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWKAA
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spit it out, Rat! That's my jock, not my socks, you're sucking on!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spit it out, Rat! That's my jock, not my socks, you're sucking on!

I'm not chokin on anything....you on the other hand old man....are chokin on what you said. C'mon geezer! Run 10 wolf rounds through your mighty AR!! Or heck, do 6 rounds, 3 of each weight of bullet!! C'mon! Don't be scared!! BAWK BAWK BAWK BAWKAA
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll take you up on that, Rat, EXCEPT we'll shoot it our of YOUR AR! We'll do a little medium range shooting - say 300 yds on the benchrest range at OKC Gun Club. That is if you think you can hit that target at that distance!
And we'll take your dad, E., along. That way I know for sure someone will be able to hit the 300 yd target besides me!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll take you up on that, Rat, EXCEPT we'll shoot it our of YOUR AR! We'll do a little medium range shooting - say 300 yds on the benchrest range at OKC Gun Club. That is if you think you can hit that target at that distance!
And we'll take your dad, E., along. That way I know for sure someone will be able to hit the 300 yd target besides me!

we're talking about your AR which is "EXTREMELY accurate with good quality loads...." though....but okay. And I think that testing for this at 100 yards will be suffiecient enough. And don't give my dad any of ya'll little pet names either! hahahahaha
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]
It was pretty windy yesterday, but here's a 200 yd group.  Pretty darn good when you consider the gusty 30 mph wind!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Wingman, you're going to give Rat more of a complex! He already suffers from "little man" syndrome . Now he's going start having a "grouping complex"!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Now if I really want him to feel bad...here's a group at 100 yds.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Poor, poor, Rat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
What kind of optics are you using Wingman?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Its on!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Its on!

Do you mean more hair on your palms?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What kind of optics are you using Wingman?

Bushnell Legend 5-15X
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Wingman,   Can the hand gaurd be changed out ?

I have been looking at the Varmint AR and I think I would like a Tactical CAR Buttstock , would that work? The reason ....to get closer to the scope in the prone position.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
You can change almost anything, handguards, stocks, it's all personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You can change almost anything, handguards, stocks, it's all personal preference.

Having a collapsible stock on a scoped rifle might be a mistake. You set the scope's eye relief according to your cheek weld in your preferred position. In most instances standing up or bench. In the prone psosition, you have to adjust your cheek weld to the position. With the collapible stock, in might be very difficult. You want to avoid the black ring around the target.
It all depends on your eyesight and age.
With people like Rat, with very good eyes, and one hell of a trigger finger, it might be OK!
Not with an "old peckerwood" like me!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#37]
The reason I think I would like the collapible stock is.....  a couple days ago I  put a Harris bipod clone on my Ruger and I noticed this morning while coyote hunting that while in the prone position I had to adjust myself to get a good sight picture. While standing or using a bench there is no adjusting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I bought an RRA complete lower with collapsible stock from SOMEBODY here on this site. It has made one hell of an accurate rifle when I got an RRA upper.  The rifle is fabulously accurate with GOOD ammo, not that steel commblock crap!
That SOMEBODY gave me a hell of a deal on the lower. He's a little contrary sometimes but I'd highly recommend him for getting an AR if he'd step up and tell us who he is!

I aint contrary and all my blasting ar's are acurate "enough" with Wolf ...............it's the singer not the song brother
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The reason I think I would like the collapible stock is.....  a couple days ago I  put a Harris bipod clone on my Ruger and I noticed this morning while coyote hunting that while in the prone position I had to adjust myself to get a good sight picture. While standing or using a bench there is no adjusting.

I like'm too ............ besides if you decide you want a A2or A1 stock later on gives you an excuse to buy more lowers........and more uppers

I'm an addict
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top