Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 3:20:11 PM EDT
Looks like that fire is getting close to your hunting place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Patrick, it's a total cluster f*ck up there. I stood on a corner with a flashlight sending pumping units in the right direction. About 50 to 60 cars came pulling up to gawk at the fires. I have no commission but I told MANY peoople if they didn't have business down that road to go away. I'm sure I pissed numerous people off. We had 3 to 5 dozers, 3 semi tanker trucks with water, and around 15 to 20 firefighing units from Edmond, Mulhall, Warr Acres, Crescent, Cashion, etc. I finally called the county sheriffs office to get a deputy down there to send the trucks in the right direction - obviously I wasn't on their radio net.
The ranger pulls up and I was already ticked off from all the idiots coming to see the fires. I mentioned Bud, his buck and the ODWC. I called them about Bud killing a buck and got no response. I guess you have to be rich and one of the beautiful people to get put in the Outdoor Oklahoma. I was not too nice when I told him about it.
I will say only one thing, emergency management is a joke in this state. Not the hands doing the actual response, but the people in charge seem to run things like a Chinese fire drill.
If you think New Orleans and Katrina was a lone incident, I will tell you right now that I believe many emergency management offices would make that poor a showing.
It looks like the fire is going to stay east of me unless the wind changes. OUbeta may have lost his hunting area to the fire. It started south of the Cimarron, West of 74, jumped the Cimarron and 74.
If we don't get burnt out, the bow hunting around my feeders is going to be pretty good for the next two weeks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got back. We save JH's house. I was hunting on the river and the next thing everything is on fire. We got all the cattle and horses off JH's in little under an hour. We loaded them in stock trailer's and took them to Guthrie. The fire was up to Lynards T's back door and almost got the house. We got a dozer in there just in time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you have every right to tell those gawkers to get out, watching someone elses misfortune and not trying to help will come back on them sooner or later when they have some bad luck.

Joe in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they burning north of Guthrie?  My brother was on the way back from Perry to Edmond and they had to wait to leave because 35 was closed for awhile.  Where are the fires burning now?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just got back. We save JH's house. I was hunting on the river and the next thing everything is on fire. We got all the cattle and horses off JH's in little under an hour. We loaded them in stock trailer's and took them to Guthrie. The fire was up to Lynards T's back door and almost got the house. We got a dozer in there just in time.

Z, thanks for telling me that. I'll let the colonel know. I sent LH nephew up north 1 mile told him to go east, till he came to the end to turn south. You guys must have gone east to Guthrie. I only saw one stock trailer headed toward 74 and it was empty. I'm fixing to go back up there before the sun comes up.
Glad LH's house is OK! I think they gave up to trying to stop the fires in certain areas and only trying to save structures!
Today is my birthday. What a friggin' birthday present! I just hope Old Bud's shack didn't burn down!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from the "burnt country". They have fires still going on the river bottom, they can't get to them. A few small fires were going in gullies north of the Cimarron around 5 AM this morning. I made a route about 6 miles east of Hwy 74. 1 to 3 miles North of the Cimarron. They had a Command Center set up at Hwys 33 & 74 with several pump trucks still on scene. As I was coming back toward 74, they were rolling at least a half dozen units toward the gully fires.
It's weird driving down the country roads in the dark with embers, smoke, and small fires in trees on both sides of you.
Talked to one of the volunteers from Mulhall while fueling up his unit. He told me they almost drove off a cliff on the Cimarron last night. I hope none of the boys got hurt last night!
They did one hell of a good job!
The command and control was definitely lacking. When fire fighting units from other towns show up and don't know where to go or where they are at exactly, some body dropped the ball!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top