Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 8:38:38 PM EDT
I didn't find the bobcat, neither did Matt. Old Bud, my hunting parnter, has been in the hospital since just before Christmas. We got him into a nusring home this afternoon. I explained to the doctor he did not want to give up his occasional cigar, cold beer, and/or drink of Whiskey.
She wrote on the Doctors Orders that he be allowed his liquor and smoke! At 103 she figured it wouldn't kill him! It's only temporary stay, 20 days or so for rehab. He can walk fairly straight but will fall if he tries to turn. He fell and couldn't get up at home!!!
Maybe if we get lucky, he may like it and stay! I told him I'd bring the Rock&Rye CowboyDave brought up from Houston. He said "keep it at the house, I don't want anyone stealing my whiskey!"
Then my hunting land caught on fire, over 60 acres burnt, mostly grass. Came close to setting 120 acres of tall grass, CRP land of fire. One unit responded, a 1250 gal brush truck. One driver, one hose man on the front, and me on the back pumping the priming bulb on the gas line to keep the pump motor running. The fuel pump was out. I have soot all over me, smell like burnt wood and grass!
I went straight from the nursing home to the farm, opened gates so the brush truck could get in!
The two volunteer firemen that showed up were the same ones that had made the call on Old Bud!
Ain't that one hell of a day!!! Plus I got Hylagen shots in both knees this moring!!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing like a dose of chickenplex to the knees, they pumped my knees full of the stuff but it didn't help none, doc said it'd probably work if I had some carlitdge left, can't do nothin but replace the knee and I don't want that, plus I couldn't afford to be offa work for 8 to 12 months for the recoop time, asked him the last time I was in for a quartizone shot to just give me a bottle of xxxxcain and a bunch of syrenges and I shoot it myself every few days to numb it, since I didn't feel the qaurt was doing anygood, only felt good for a couple of days afterward.

too bad about the land Dan, guess you can put your feeder in the middle of the burnt spot, least wise you'd have a wide field of view to take a shot in.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ain't nothin' too worry about. Only 60 acres of one quarter section. I got the run of the whole section. The deer hunting is so good on that section we only have one feeder up and very seldom hunt it. Most of our deer are being taken in the wheat, or plum thickets close to the tall grass.
I've had the Celeststone (coritsone) shots in the knees for the last two years and the doc thought it was time for more of the chicken squeezins'.  It seems to be helping. I'm hoping to get one knee replaced this spring. We'll see. The other knee will have to wait awhile.
I've got to go back up there this morning and check to see if the ashes are still down. Plus check on Old Bud!
Talk to you soon, Brother L!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to give you guys a little hope my dad had one of his knees replaced 2~ months ago.......and he's doing good.......if you knew my dad you'd understand why this is good news to you guys....He's a legal junky takes enough pain medicine to probably kill the average person every day so pain medication barely has any affect on him ........he's not even complaining about it any moore and has been bowling every other day for the last week or so..........I know it sucks to go under the knife but if my dad is up and going in 2 months that's a good thing he would only do about a 1/4 of the exercises they told him to do after the surgery so if you do what your suposed to do and get a good doc you wont be down long...........he's getting the other one done this summer
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to get the one done, the other will be COMPLETELY gone by the time the first knee heals up if the doctor is right! I'm hoping rehab won't be that long. One friend I know had BOTH done at once. He is getting along famously but had one hell of a time the first month. Me, I don't intend to put my wife and family through that much BS.
Maybe with the new knees I'll be able to get BIGFOOT!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Then my hunting land caught on fire, over 60 acres burnt, mostly grass. Came close to setting 120 acres of tall grass, CRP land of fire. One unit responded, a 1250 gal brush truck. One driver, one hose man on the front, and me on the back pumping the priming bulb on the gas line to keep the pump motor running. The fuel pump was out. I have soot all over me, smell like burnt wood and grass!
I went straight from the nursing home to the farm, opened gates so the brush truck could get in!
The two volunteer firemen that showed up were the same ones that had made the call on Old Bud!
Ain't that one hell of a day!!! Plus I got Hylagen shots in both knees this moring!!!!

This is how it is all over Oklahoma. I wish the public was more aware of it. 1250 gallon brush truck? Pretty LARGE for a brush truck. Most of the brush trucks at my department and departments near me hold 200-300 gallons. We do have an old army 2.5 ton truck that has a 500 gallon tank but it's pretty big for a brush truck.

I hope your knees improve and I hope Ol' Bud improves. Thanks for the post and thanks even more for helping those firemen out.

I've run on multiple calls over the years in my area and have been alone on more than a few.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hope your knees improve and I hope Ol' Bud improves. Thanks for the post and thanks even more for helping those firemen out.

I've run on multiple calls over the years in my area and have been alone on more than a few.

I had a reserve commission at one time. I WILL always help any emergency responder if I am capable. Especially the volunteers!  They are the ones that need to thanked!!
I appreciate your kind comments, TwoBravo. I've got too many uncles, cousins, nephews, etc involved in public service such as LE and fire departments to ever turn my back on any of those guys that protect my ass and everyone elses!
Besides, that place belongs to the widow of a really good friend that I miss a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top