Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:40:09 PM EDT
Ok boys....my SAM-5 needs an evil twin brother.... totally ignorant about ARs so help me out.  Just lookng for something to have fun at the range with... don't want a swiss army AR either.  RRA, Bushy?  Does it matter?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
are you going to build or buy your ar 15
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got two ARs, one pre-ban Colt, one new RRA M4 type. If buying one, I'd highly recommend the RRA!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
are you going to build or buy your ar 15

Sorry I should have specified that..... I'm going to buy.  Unless building is that easy?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Building one is fairly easy. You can buy a complete kit (less lower receiver) for less than $500 from different vendors. After you obtain a lower receiver, you can install the parts yourself really easy - maybe 45 minutes tops if you have the right tools. The take down pin detents are the worst part of the assembly. And they aren't that hard really if you use the right tool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Building one is fairly easy. You can buy a complete kit (less lower receiver) for less than $500 from different vendors. After you obtain a lower receiver, you can install the parts yourself really easy - maybe 45 minutes tops if you have the right tools. The take down pin detents are the worst part of the assembly. And they aren't that hard really if you use the right tool.

I'm only going to buy a "Colt" or a "Bushmaster" if.....well.....I wouldn't buy one. They're just a name and thats it. If you're going to be shootin it, check out Jasons site www.jtacsupply.com He's a fellow Okie, a heck of a guy, has some great stuff and, this coming spring will be hosting the 2nd Annual JTAC shoot. Which is a blast, literally. People brought everything from full auto uzi's, to 45 auto's, to Swedish Mausers, to pimped out AR-15's, to suppresed AR's, to 50 cals, to tannerite to an M1919 .308 caliber semi auti with a crank on it....needless to say, we all had a good time!!

Back to the topic at hand, I've never messed with an AR until about 2 yrs ago, I bought a stripped lower for around $100 bucks. Then I bought just a run of the mill upper "kit" which is the full upper that you just need to pin together onto the lower....after you put the 31-ish parts into the lower. Somewhere here on ARF.com ther's a link that shows you step by step how to put the lower together, you'll quickly see its quite simple to do this. The only problem I see in your future is....."what kind ofupper do I want??" You want an M4 profile? A 24" varment rifle that'll reach out there n pop a prairie dog at 400-ish yards? You want a foregrip that will accomodate a variety of add on goodies suchs as a pistol grip, laser sighting, holo sights, bipod, flashlights?? Yeah, that will the biggest challenge you will face. Puttin the lower together is a snap! Just figuring out what upper configuration you want to go with will be the hold up.

Here's the link for how to put a lower together. Check out the pics n you'll see just how easy it can be to do it yourself. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
you can get an ameetech lower for $95, their a board vendor and give a discount to board members, and buy one of the kits for about $425, all together with shipping and handling you'd be less that 6 bills for a damn good rifle.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, after reading the link it's much easier than I thought....  so most uppers and lowers are universal?  I can slap an RRA upper on any lower that I build?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, after reading the link it's much easier than I thought....  so most uppers and lowers are universal?  I can slap an RRA upper on any lower that I build?

You can slap any lower onto any upper you choose. Heck, you could have a "Bushy" lower with an el-cheapo upper on it.....or you could have a DPMS lower and have a Bushmaster M4 profile upper on it, then you could take the 2 pins out and put your.....Olympic Arms 24" Varmint barreled upper on it for some long range shootin, then you could unpin that and put your RRA 20 inch midlength gas system upper on it, STAG lower with a JTAC upper.... jtacsupply.com/ you can do any combination of things to it and yeah, they're all interchangable. Many options to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
you got the gist of it, they're only as difficult as you make em'.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#10]

get a stag or  rra
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
get a stag or  rra

I don't have "A brand" I go with, I suggest looking at a bunch of different lowers and decide what you'd like to have engraved on the side of your weapon and go with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I do alot of AR stuff, and I have built and sold many different brand's.

IMO Stag has one of the best lowers on the market, but some don't like the deer logo.

If you go with a well known name, you will be fine.

If you are in, or near NE OK, give me a yell, and I can get you a lower, or do a transfer for you.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
easy easy......if your in the south holler I'll help you out too.......besides if rat can do it anyone can
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

IMO Stag has one of the best lowers on the market, but some don't like the deer logo.

If you are in, or near NE OK, give me a yell, and I can get you a lower, or do a transfer for you.

I will probably take you up on this.... I'm in Norman currently and am moving back to T-town in a week.  After the first of the year I want to put something together.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#15]
well if you should get your parts together and need some help, give me holler, I'm near norman.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will probably take you up on this.... I'm in Norman currently and am moving back to T-town in a week.  After the first of the year I want to put something together.

No problem, Glad to do it!!, Just give me a yell when you are ready, or if you have any questions

There are alot of good people here that would be glad to help in any way they can.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top