Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
So WTF happened down in Richmond?  Anti-CTR bill got defeated as did bill to allow more school choice AKA more private/charter schools.  Dems of course but might have been a couple R's voting as well.  Thought we had majority on both sides?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So WTF happened down in Richmond?  Anti-CTR bill got defeated as did bill to allow more school choice AKA more private/charter schools.  Dems of course but might have been a couple R's voting as well.  Thought we had majority on both sides?
View Quote
We only have the House, the Dems have a 1 person advantage in the Senate. If one Dem senator flips to vote with the GOP, then it's a tie and we win the tie breaker assuming Lt Gov Sears votes with the GOP (safe assumption). That's why it was big news when the Dem Senator from Fairfax threatened to vote with the GOP if the school district didn't quickly provide an end date to mandatory masking of students.

We definitely need to take back the Senate to effect any real change, the last election was just enough to stop us from losing more ground.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Incorrect. Trespass After Being Forbidden To Do So (Title 18.2 -119) is a class 1 misdemeanor, not a felony. There's a BIG difference.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We only have the House, the Dems have a 1 person advantage in the Senate. If one Dem senator flips to vote with the GOP, then it's a tie and we win the tie breaker assuming Lt Gov Sears votes with the GOP (safe assumption). That's why it was big news when the Dem Senator from Fairfax threatened to vote with the GOP if the school district didn't quickly provide an end date to mandatory masking of students.

We definitely need to take back the Senate to effect any real change, the last election was just enough to stop us from losing more ground.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This issue is not the overall balance (well, it is, but not the way you're looking at it).  Votes on the floor only matter after bills make it out of committee.  The majority party gets to set the committee make up.  The committees are not proportional to the overall make up of the Senate, so the Dems have the deck stacked.  While bills such as these may have a chance on the floor (the whole Senate), it does not matter when they get spiked in committee- they don't get a vote.  

That's why, quite frankly, a squishy RINO is better than almost any Dem.  While you may not be able to trust the RINO on the floor, if you have control of the committees, you control what gets to the floor, and the RINO's vote becomes next to meaningless.  Keep the RINO off the Judiciary committee and they don't matter (for bad gun bills). Granted, this works IF the R's have the overall majority.  

If the Dems have the overall majority, the calculus changes, and the RINO becomes a liability for floor votes, but at that point, you're ice skating uphill anyway and it takes a miracle to peel a Dem.  We got really lucky with the AWB and Deeds, Peterson, and Lewis indicating a lack of support.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This issue is not the overall balance (well, it is, but not the way you're looking at it).  Votes on the floor only matter after bills make it out of committee.  The majority party gets to set the committee make up.  The committees are not proportional to the overall make up of the Senate, so the Dems have the deck stacked.  While bills such as these may have a chance on the floor (the whole Senate), it does not matter when they get spiked in committee- they don't get a vote.  

That's why, quite frankly, a squishy RINO is better than almost any Dem.  While you may not be able to trust the RINO on the floor, if you have control of the committees, you control what gets to the floor, and the RINO's vote becomes next to meaningless.  Keep the RINO off the Judiciary committee and they don't matter (for bad gun bills). Granted, this works IF the R's have the overall majority.  

If the Dems have the overall majority, the calculus changes, and the RINO becomes a liability for floor votes, but at that point, you're ice skating uphill anyway and it takes a miracle to peel a Dem.  We got really lucky with the AWB and Deeds, Peterson, and Lewis indicating a lack of support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if I remember correctly, they were worried about how to implement one, not that they were actually against it. All Democrats are pieces of shit, most Republicans are too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm not seeing how what you're saying is really different than what I'm saying. I was also responding to voodochild's question about thinking we had a majority on both sides, and pointing out why that was inaccurate on the Senate side.

My point was pretty clear that Republicans need to have a majority in the Senate to effect any real change. I fully understand how committees work, and if Republicans can get a majority, which is what I said they needed, they could then control the committees as well. I fully agree that if the numbers are really close in the overall makeup of the Senate, a RINO becomes a major liability for getting anything actually done. Getting it out of committee becomes much easier, but getting a successful vote becomes more challenging.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully the appeal moves quickly. ETA: Kind of half expected this with the case being heard in Arlington.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-allowing-mask-mandates-to-remain-in-schools
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully the appeal moves quickly. ETA: Kind of half expected this with the case being heard in Arlington.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-allowing-mask-mandates-to-remain-in-schools
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I was just expecting liberal bias, holy shit, her husband is employed by one of the plaintiffs? How the hell is she allowed to be the judge on the case?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was just expecting liberal bias, holy shit, her husband is employed by one of the plaintiffs? How the hell is she allowed to be the judge on the case?
View Quote

Well isn’t that interesting…
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]

FYI, the judge disclosed this prior to the hearing and the lawyers on both sides agreed to proceed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]

At the rate we're currently going these assholes in NoVA (unfortunately, technically where I live) are going to be the last fucking people on the planet masking children.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Don't get too excited.  The Court did not say EO2 was good to go- they did not look at the merits or legality of the order.  The Court said the actions brought were improper, so the Court could not grant the relief sought.  Sound familiar- lots of similar rationale for election related litigation.  

The Order

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why the trailer park crowd “muh candidate ain’t pure!!!!” and “RINO” (usually applied to someone who votes 95% the right way) is so short sighted and pathetic.

These morons would have put Amanda Chase up for Governor and she would have lost by 15 points.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't get too excited.  The Court did not say EO2 was good to go- they did not look at the merits or legality of the order.  The Court said the actions brought were improper, so the Court could not grant the relief sought.  Sound familiar- lots of similar rationale for election related litigation.  

The Order

View Quote

Thanks. I've been over reacting between the judge thing and this without getting all the facts. It just pisses me off that all these people think they have the right to force my kid to cover their face. I think a lot of these parents need to focus less on masks and more on how their kid(s) behave in school. I'm pretty close financially to being able to pull my kid out of public school. I'm hoping for next year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks. I've been over reacting between the judge thing and this without getting all the facts. It just pisses me off that all these people think they have the right to force my kid to cover their face. I think a lot of these parents need to focus less on masks and more on how their kid(s) behave in school. I'm pretty close financially to being able to pull my kid out of public school. I'm hoping for next year.
View Quote

I'm right there with you.  When I saw some of the headlines and articles, my first reaction was similar to yours- guess it's time to get Arlington to reconsider.  After reading the order, I realized the fight was just starting.  

Down here in the Richmond area, the mask cultists on the nightly news crying about the potential ending of the mask mandate are almost funny, if it wasn't for the undercurrent of what that position stands for- control and conformity.  The damage that's being done to the kids, physically and mentally, is going to be something we're paying for for years.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The law expires in August.  What are they going to use as an excuse next year?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is why the trailer park crowd “muh candidate ain’t pure!!!!” and “RINO” (usually applied to someone who votes 95% the right way) is so short sighted and pathetic.

These morons would have put Amanda Chase up for Governor and she would have lost by 15 points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually on this site it was opposite what you cite.....nutjobs went after Cuchinelli saying he would regulate the bedroom and other extremist nonsense. Did you mean to come across like an out of touch NOVA elitist?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The law expires in August.  What are they going to use as an excuse next year?
View Quote

Kid's mask mandate should NOT be dragged to August. NJ's pulling plug on the mask mandate on kids on March. Virginia needs to do pull it NOW.

GOP and independents need to push the CDC very hard to drop their "recommendation" for school kids masking NOW!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, Cooch was much better serving in DHS than what we have now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FWIW, Cooch was much better serving in DHS than what we have now.
View Quote

Cooch would have been a better governor than Fast Terry 1.0, but he was goona ban der blowjerbs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cooch would have been a better governor than Fast Terry 1.0, but he was goona ban der blowjerbs.
View Quote

Goes without saying, but I've scraped things off my shoe that would be a better gov that FFT.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Sen. Chap Petersen (D) comes through!

Gotta watch very closely, to see who opposes this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]

That case didn't touch on the legality of the EO2. It said that mandamus was not the correct method, that the courts couldn't FORCE school districts to uphold masking policies because they stem from a CDC recommendation, and implementing a recommendation involves some level of discretion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That case didn't touch on the legality of the EO2. It said that mandamus was not the correct method, that the courts couldn't FORCE school districts to uphold masking policies because they stem from a CDC recommendation, and implementing a recommendation involves some level of discretion.
View Quote

It will be irrelevant in short order, and the case will be dismissed as moot. The (Democrat controlled) VA Senate passed a bill 29-9 affirming the right of parents to choose whether their kids wear a mask. This will mean that any school district opposing this will be in direct violation of state law.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It will be irrelevant in short order, and the case will be dismissed as moot. The (Democrat controlled) VA Senate passed a bill 29-9 affirming the right of parents to choose whether their kids wear a mask. This will mean that any school district opposing this will be in direct violation of state law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/503720/5B8F9612-4168-4EBB-8046-D6CF61BB34AB_jpe-2271853.JPG

Uhh ....S.B. 739 makes no reference to masks.

A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 22.1-2.1, relating to public elementary and secondary schools and public school-based early childhood care and education programs; student instruction.
----------
Patrons-- Dunnavant and Petersen
----------
Referred to Committee on Education and Health
----------
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 22.1-2.1 as follows:

§ 22.1-2.1. Provision of in-person instruction.

A. As used in this section, "in-person instruction" means any form of instructional interaction between teachers and students that occurs in person and in real time. "In-person instruction" does not include the act of proctoring remote online learning in a classroom.

B. Except as otherwise permitted in subdivision C 4 of § 22.1-98, each school board shall offer in-person instruction to each student enrolled in the local school division in a public elementary and secondary school for at least the minimum number of required annual instructional hours and to each student enrolled in the local school division in a public school-based early childhood care and education program for the entirety of the instructional time provided pursuant to such program.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s the floor amendment for the SB739
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SB 1303 expires on August 1, 2022. This bill would become law July 1, 2022, unless 4/5 of both the senate and the house approve to make it “emergency legislation” which comes into effect at an earlier specified date.

Youngkin will try and send this back to get an emergency clause. That requires 4/5ths of the vote l, which it won't get.

So, its an incredibly pointless ammendment
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

SB 1303 expires on August 1, 2022. This bill would become law July 1, 2022, unless 4/5 of both the senate and the house approve to make it “emergency legislation” which comes into effect at an earlier specified date.

Youngkin will try and send this back to get an emergency clause. That requires 4/5ths of the vote l, which it won't get.

View Quote

SB 1303 has a sunset date. SB 739 does not.

This codifies into state law, essentially exactly, Youngkin's recent EO 2. SB 739 was introduced to prevent school closures as a result of panicked bedwetting school boards and teachers unions. SB 739 was amended by Chap Petersen to formalize a parent's right to say fuck no to mandatory masking.

What this means to me as a Virginia parent is that I can send my children to public school in VA without having their faces forcibly covered. That's one of my biggest concerns right now, and as such this is a huge victory.

But then again, you're a communist, so I'm not sure you appreciate that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Actually on this site it was opposite what you cite.....nutjobs went after Cuchinelli saying he would regulate the bedroom and other extremist nonsense. Did you mean to come across like an out of touch NOVA elitist?
View Quote

Cuccinelli ran in 2013. He wasn’t on the ballot. So I’m not sure why you’d bring him up.

I also have nothing in common with the NOVA crowd. I despise them. What you seem to be missing is that there is a big difference between the meth-head trailer park crowd and normal down to earth rural conservatives.

We have too many of the former on ARFCOM.

The reality is that Virginia is a left of center state. That’s hard to swallow for west of I-95 Virginians, but the population centers are east of I-95, and they have pushed Virginia to the left of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Youngkin was able to appeal to both sides. Amanda Chase would not have. Yet the trailer park crowd were too dumb to see that and were whining about Youngkin from the beginning.

It turns out that Youngkin is doing quite well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s amendment.

You really shouldn’t be making any predictions at all after your crash and burn before the election during your worship of Terry.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cuccinelli ran in 2013. He wasn't on the ballot. So I'm not sure why you'd bring him up.

I also have nothing in common with the NOVA crowd. I despise them. What you seem to be missing is that there is a big difference between the meth-head trailer park crowd and normal down to earth rural conservatives.

The reality is that Virginia is a left of center state. That's hard to swallow for west of I-95 Virginians, but the population centers are east of I-95, and they have pushed Virginia to the left of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Youngkin was able to appeal to both sides. Amanda Chase would not have. Yet the trailer park crowd were too dumb to see that and were whining about Youngkin from the beginning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuccinelli ran in 2013. He wasn't on the ballot. So I'm not sure why you'd bring him up.

The reality is that Virginia is a left of center state. That's hard to swallow for west of I-95 Virginians, but the population centers are east of I-95, and they have pushed Virginia to the left of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.

I can agree with this. I like Chase's fire but she would have turned off suzy soccer mom which was the core to Youngkin's victory. Chase would have lost to Fast Terry 2.0 even after he stepped on his dick several times.
I am cautiously optimistic that Youngkin will do well, he seems to be off to a good start.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone notice how the leftist governor of New Jersey is receiving accolades for ending school mandates, while the press attacks Youngkin for doing the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone notice how the leftist governor of New Jersey is receiving accolades for ending school mandates, while the press attacks Youngkin for doing the same thing?
View Quote

The press has completely abandoned all pretenses of objectivity. The newspaper and local media coverage of Youngkin vs Northam is astounding.  It was as if a switch was flipped.

The press is going to do this every time that there is a Republican in office, and Republicans are going to have to learn to start playing hardball with the press.

I would cut them off. No off the record quotes. No information. No press conferences. I would give information solely to preferred media sources that could actually be objective.

If the press wants to be the mouthpiece of the DNC, treat them as such. They are not a legitimate institution.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Freitas as usual makes sense. Also Dare County NC schools (Outer Banks) no longer have a mask mandate as of today.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zxGo-cJ9VU

Freitas as usual makes sense. Also Dare County NC schools (Outer Banks) no longer have a mask mandate as of today.
View Quote

Our state would be better with about 30 more of him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It won't be irrelevant until July at minimum, unless they can redo it to include an emergency enactment date.

As for whether the cases will be dismissed as moot, they very well may not be. NYS tried that with the current 2A case before SCOTUS and was rejected (mootness isn't always a surefire dismissal if the statute/EO at issue could simply be reinstated); there are bigger issues at stake in the cases than merely masks. Namely, governor's powers to issue or not issue EO's, and what to do if/when those orders conflict with statutes.

I agree that masks need to go away immediately. I am merely pointing out that this is not the silver bullet people think it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It won't be irrelevant until July at minimum, unless they can redo it to include an emergency enactment date.

As for whether the cases will be dismissed as moot, they very well may not be. NYS tried that with the current 2A case before SCOTUS and was rejected (mootness isn't always a surefire dismissal if the statute/EO at issue could simply be reinstated); there are bigger issues at stake in the cases than merely masks. Namely, governor's powers to issue or not issue EO's, and what to do if/when those orders conflict with statutes.

I agree that masks need to go away immediately. I am merely pointing out that this is not the silver bullet people think it is.
View Quote

It doesn't require a 4/5 majority to take immediate effect. Petersen expects it to be handled by Youngkin and the VA GA in such a way that it will be immediate.

This is as close to a silver bullet as we will get, as VA - of all places - will be one of only three states to have effectively made mask mandates in schools illegal under state law.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This codifies into state law, essentially exactly, Youngkin's recent EO 2. SB 739 was introduced to prevent school closures as a result of panicked bedwetting school boards and teachers unions. SB 739 was amended by Chap Petersen to formalize a parent's right to say fuck no to mandatory masking.

What this means to me as a Virginia parent is that I can send my children to public school in VA without having their faces forcibly covered. That's one of my biggest concerns right now, and as such this is a huge victory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly right.

Attachment Attached File

And I heard that they included  an emergency provision so that it would take effect immediately after signing.  Passed final Senate vote a short while ago.  7 Dem defectors changed their vote overnight from YEA to NAY

Attachment Attached File

They were: Bell, Edwards, Hashmi, Howell, Saslaw, Spruill and Surrovell,

Yesterdays 2nd reading vote:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman sent out an email this evening explaining how disappointed they are about the loss of local control.  From the email:

"That’s why I’m deeply disappointed in the action taken today and yesterday by some members of the Virginia Senate who voted to overturn local authority to be able to require masks in schools. We’re hoping this never becomes law because we know this is about so much more than just masking."
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman sent out an email this evening explaining how disappointed they are about the loss of local control.  From the email:

"That’s why I’m deeply disappointed in the action taken today and yesterday by some members of the Virginia Senate who voted to overturn local authority to be able to require masks in schools. We’re hoping this never becomes law because we know this is about so much more than just masking."
View Quote

Of course, to the school boards, it is much more than just masking. it is politics and fear mongering for power and control. They do not care about the kids at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Of course, to the school boards, it is much more than just masking. it is politics and fear mongering for power and control. They do not care about the kids at all.
View Quote

Agreed.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top