Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 10:45:14 PM EDT
I remember a while back there was supposed to be something getting voted on to allow “switch blades” but it got shot down. Is there anything out there right now aimed at legalizing them?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
They're already legal to own, you just can't carry them. I would imagine there will be another bill next legislation season to allow carrying them
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're already legal to own, you just can't carry them. I would imagine there will be another bill next legislation season to allow carrying them
View Quote
Be very careful.

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in § 18.2-307.1, or like weapons, such person is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359; 2013, c. 746.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.

NOTE THIS:

The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They're legal to own but you can't carry them which is absurd considering my CHP allows me to pack as many pistols as I can carry.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're legal to own but you can't carry them which is absurd considering my CHP allows me to pack as many pistols as I can carry.
View Quote
Completely absurd.  Even if we pass a bill to allow VA folks with a CCW to carry an auto knife, our di** head governor (or his commie replacement) will just veto it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Completely absurd.  Even if we pass a bill to allow VA folks with a CCW to carry an auto knife, our di** head governor (or his commie replacement) will just veto it.
View Quote
Don't write off Gillespie.  He can win.  It will be a close election.  Let's hope turnout is high for us and low for the commies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Be very careful.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in § 18.2-307.1, or like weapons, such person is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359; 2013, c. 746.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.

NOTE THIS:

The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be very careful.

NOTE THIS:

I think this is the key point. Like I said, they're legal to own for personal use.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think this is the key point. Like I said, they're legal to own for personal use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be very careful.

NOTE THIS:

Do you understand that the second clause means you cannot have one???

Having it is all the state would have to show to convict you of intent to "sell, barter, give or furnish."

But go right ahead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
It doesn’t make any sense. Some states that allow them are the ones I’m surprised do.  But Virginia? Come on
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It doesn’t make any sense. Some states that allow them are the ones I’m surprised do.  But Virginia? Come on
View Quote
We have a lot of older laws still hanging around.

Absent any real problems  there is no reason to remove them.
That would take ANOTHER law.
If you rob a person of $10 or more it starts out as a felony.
The judge is allowed to reduce it though.
That clause was added far later.

It tends to keep the incidence of muggings pretty low.

All in all out legal system has a conservative bent to it.

Some punishments are pretty significant for what might seem minor crimes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL I just can't get over the fact nunchuks are illegal...
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which states for instance?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here’s a list

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top