User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2017 10:39:55 AM EDT
Anyone here doing this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Giving it some serious thought.  I live inside the beltway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, yes.  Most definitely.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking about it as I work in D.C.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I need some sort of DC-specific training? Got a recommendation?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I must have missed something. Is this even remotely possible now?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagging for later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
George Lyon.  Hit him via the Googles or off my FB.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
So as I understand it they're still prosecuting something as simple as an empty brass casing in the district, UNLESS you have a firearm registered in that caliber.

Having a non-resident CCW might cut you some slack (or the opposite, it's TBD) if the Man spots a piece of brass from your last match rolling around in your car.

Thoughts?

I do have a "DC Clean" car for driving through DC, MD, NJ, and NY, since their license plate scanners will pick up the VASP "gun" flag on your tags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the list of instructors approved by DC - it has Mr. Lyon's contact info...

DC Approved Instructors

I'm still not sure if I'll jump on this or not...

Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m likely to be moving to somewhere in NOVA sometime in the next year. I am planning to get a non-resident DC permit once that happens.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
What about off duty L.E.?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a pretty-big deal; wonder if we can have this thread stickied so we can track lessons learned as folks pave the way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about off duty L.E.?
View Quote
Off-duty LEOs are covered by the Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act, and can carry anywhere in the country.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Do we know that D.C. Will offer/does offer non-resident permits?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
But I was under the impression in DC you have to be on official business/duty?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But I was under the impression in DC you have to be on official business/duty?
View Quote
The LEOSA is a federal law, and specifically supersedes local and/or state law. Google it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless I’m missing something but I didn’t read anything about LE in that link.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you're LE, you should already know this:

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons - the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer" - to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States or United States Territories, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.

If a person meets the criteria, "notwithstanding any provisions of the law of any state or any political subdivision thereof" he or she may carry a concealed firearm in that state or political subdivision. An individual who qualifies under LEOSA does not require a state-issued permit to carry a concealed firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do we know that D.C. Will offer/does offer non-resident permits?
View Quote
Yes, DC presently offers non-resident permits.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I read that document and one thing that stood out was:

24-2343. Ammunition Carried by Licensee.

2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition.

As I read it, you can carry one reload, but, you cannot have a total of more than 20 rounds on your person; therefore (for those with semi-auto pistols) it is a defacto 10 rd mag restriction.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Washingtoon is a liberal cesspool.
They will grasp at ANY law to prosecute.

The consequences often apply across multiple jurisdictions and levels.

They are NOT honest brokers.

Stay away for now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I read that document and one thing that stood out was:

24-2343. Ammunition Carried by Licensee.

2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition.

As I read it, you can carry one reload, but, you cannot have a total of more than 20 rounds on your person; therefore (for those with semi-auto pistols) it is a defacto 10 rd mag restriction.
View Quote
So....New York reload for the win?  Or does this prohibit carrying a 19 full up, just without a reload?

Or would it limit you to a 19 and a J-frame, etc?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Isn't there a minimum distance of 1000 feet from a gov building or school?

If so, that's gonna pretty much prohibit carry anywhere downtown.

Hell, that's probably most of NW and SW
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Isn't there a minimum distance of 1000 feet from a gov building or school?

If so, that's gonna pretty much prohibit carry anywhere downtown.

Hell, that's probably most of NW and SW
View Quote
The distances are enhancements to the penalty  of carrying an illegal gun.

Government attorneys and the police have said so.

If it will stick is left as an exercise.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So....New York reload for the win?  Or does this prohibit carrying a 19 full up, just without a reload?

Or would it limit you to a 19 and a J-frame, etc?
View Quote
Ten round magazine limit in DC, so one can carry a Glock 19 with a ten round magazine and one spare ten round magazine.  IIRC the permit in DC also authorizes only carrying one pistol at a time, so no backup gun.

I’m thinking something like a Glock 30S makes the most of DC’s ridiculous carry laws. If one wants to go smaller then perhaps a Glock 26, Springfield XDS 9mm, or Shield 9mm. I’m a fan of 5-shot snubbies, but if limited to one reload I am not carrying a five shot anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The surrounding laws in Washingtoon, DC are so $tupid it is still way to risky.

They could all to easily enforce their registration laws.

The fight is far from over and I do not have infinite means at my disposal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ten round magazine limit in DC, so one can carry a Glock 19 with a ten round magazine and one spare ten round magazine.  IIRC the permit in DC also authorizes only carrying one pistol at a time, so no backup gun.

I’m thinking something like a Glock 30S makes the most of DC’s ridiculous carry laws. If one wants to go smaller then perhaps a Glock 26, Springfield XDS 9mm, or Shield 9mm. I’m a fan of 5-shot snubbies, but if limited to one reload I am not carrying a five shot anything.
View Quote
Those firearms must have been either on the CA or MA approved firearms list at one point. At least their approvals don't expire the way CA's do. Of those I think only the G26 is on the list, perhaps the Shield too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The surrounding laws in Washingtoon, DC are so $tupid it is still way to risky.

They could all to easily enforce their registration laws.

The fight is far from over and I do not have infinite means at my disposal.
View Quote
No doubt, if one chooses to get a DC permit one should also register a carry gun or two with MPDC and only carry those guns there.

I still wouldn’t want to be the permit holder that shoots someone. Of course I don’t want to do that anywhere, but especially not in DC.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those firearms must have been either on the CA or MA approved firearms list at one point. At least their approvals don't expire the way CA's do. Of those I think only the G26 is on the list, perhaps the Shield too.
View Quote
According to the MPDC website handguns have to be on CA, MA, or MD rosters. FWIW the Glock 26, Glock 30S, Shield 9 with or without safety, and the XDS 3.3 9mm are all on the MA roster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#33]
To see what MD approves of - you can go here...

Maryland Approved Handguns

it looks like most Glocks are OK (only thing I looked at)

Still thinking...

Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I want a DC CCW. Anyone have a date for your course? Maybe we could do it together.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was going to mention him as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
To see what MD approves of - you can go here...

Maryland Approved Handguns

it looks like most Glocks are OK (only thing I looked at)

Still thinking...

Bob S.
View Quote
They don't care about Maryland. MA is Massachusetts. That list, and California's. Of course there is overlap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Sitting in the firearms registration office as we speak!

I have to say, the gentleman at the firearms permit desk was really nice and helpful. Fingerprinting officer was... Nice too.

The firearms registration last was overworked, and some people were being kind of rude.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in contact with George. Today he sent me the next class schedule for Nov. 11 & 12. I can't go, but look forward to the next one on Dec. 3 & 4.

Write to [email protected] for more info.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thinking about it as I work in D.C.
View Quote
Since when did they let you back into the US?  And where in DC are you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Any updates from those that have gone through the process?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I would like an update, too. I am being asked by one of the course providers if I want to sign up for the course in a few weeks.

I'd like to know if DC is issuing permits or if there are still some hurdles.

Anybody get a CCW?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
If I get the permit, can I carry a concealed weapon anywhere in public in D. C.?

No. There is a long list of locations where people are prohibited from carrying guns, including on public transportation, at Metro stations, on the Mall, in the area of the White House, the U.S. Capitol, at public and private schools, stadiums and in D.C. government buildings.

New permits are no help if you only visit DC as a tourist.

Also, 16-hour class and 2 hours of range time?  Keeping people interested and attentive is going to be challenging for the instructors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll take that as a "no".
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Me personally, I’m going to do it. I think that the more of us that do it and get one, will show that it was a good thing and that at any given time there could be a lot of honest, truly law abiding citizens carrying legally inside the communist lines.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I have mine. Took 60 days from application. I'm a resident. I applied in late Sept., just before the decision by DC not go to the SC.

By the way the claims on the 1,000' prohibition on schools are nonsense. that is an enhanced penalty zone for gun crimes, not a prohibition. Actual prohibited areas are much like many other jurisdictions, it is just in DC because of density that there are more.

Also firearm can be on any of the three rosters, Maryland (by far the most extensive roster), California or Massachusetts.  Be aware though that even if on Maryland you can't possess a >10 round mag in DC, and you cannot have a threaded barrel on a pistol.

As far as mandatory training, I think I feel the way most people do, which is as a mandatory thing it is an infringement, but on  he other hand it is pretty much NRA PPOH (Personal protection outside the home), plus general and DC specific self defense and carry law, plus some range time with a qualified instructor, so it ides have value for most people. If you have good recognized training already DC MPD is usually waiving except for two hour law part and two hour range part, and that abridged version is being offered by instructors at lower rates ($250 to $300 for full course, $150for abridged course).

You do have to take an abridged refresher and pay an additional $75 each two year renewal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have mine. Took 60 days from application. I'm a resident. I applied in late Sept., just before the decision by DC not go to the SC.

By the way the claims on the 1,000' prohibition on schools are nonsense. that is an enhanced penalty zone for gun crimes, not a prohibition. Actual prohibited areas are much like many other jurisdictions, it is just in DC because of density that there are more.

Also firearm can be on any of the three rosters, Maryland (by far the most extensive roster), California or Massachusetts.  Be aware though that even if on Maryland you can't possess a >10 round mag in DC, and you cannot have a threaded barrel on a pistol.

As far as mandatory training, I think I feel the way most people do, which is as a mandatory thing it is an infringement, but on  he other hand it is pretty much NRA PPOH (Personal protection outside the home), plus general and DC specific self defense and carry law, plus some range time with a qualified instructor, so it ides have value for most people. If you have good recognized training already DC MPD is usually waiving except for two hour law part and two hour range part, and that abridged version is being offered by instructors at lower rates ($250 to $300 for full course, $150for abridged course).

You do have to take an abridged refresher and pay an additional $75 each two year renewal.
View Quote
What gun(s) did you register?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who did you take your course from?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I noticed in the DC instructions, it mentioned a DD 214 and a Hunting license as possible sources of waivers for the full course.

I have a Hunter’s Safety certificate from Kansas.  I also have a DD 214 that shows that I qualified as an expert with the M9 9mm in 1993.  I also qualified as an expert with the M16 and qualified with the M2, M249, M60, and Mk 19 machineguns (there are no categories for those).  I served as an infantryman in Desert Storm.  I also have numerous current and old hunting licenses.

Does anyone have a sense for whether that is enough for a waiver in DC (it is in Virginia)?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I get the permit, can I carry a concealed weapon anywhere in public in D. C.?

No. There is a long list of locations where people are prohibited from carrying guns, including on public transportation, at Metro stations, on the Mall, in the area of the White House, the U.S. Capitol, at public and private schools, stadiums and in D.C. government buildings.

New permits are no help if you only visit DC as a tourist.

Also, 16-hour class and 2 hours of range time?  Keeping people interested and attentive is going to be challenging for the instructors.
View Quote
Well, this, coupled with the ammo limit, kicks me out. I only have one hand gun and carry a minimum of 31 rounds. 15+1 and a backup mag with 15 (they are 17 rnd mags left loaded at 15.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a sense for whether that is enough for a waiver in DC (it is in Virginia)?  
View Quote
Are you asking if DC is in Virginia? DC is not in any State. It is a federal district, i.e. The District of Columbia.

I had to parse that several more times before I understood the phrasing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top