Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 1:27:32 PM EDT
I'm wondering if any of you guys that are experienced in long range shooting and/or PRS would like to teach me a few things?  I've got a nice 6.5CM rifle (Bighorn TL-2 action, KRG Whiskey-3 chassis, Burris XTRII 5-25 scope), hundreds of rounds of ammo, and a solid foundation of "book learning" on the subject.  What I don't have is any real world idea how to read wind/make adjustments/etc., at long range.. Figured it would be more productive/less frustrating to at least see how it's done and have someone give me some hints on what I'm doing right/wrong.

I'm in the Northern Shendandoah Valley, but can drive a bit if needed.  If anyone wants to go out for a few hours and show me the basics, I'd be glad to cover the cost of range time and cover the cost of any ammo you use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested as well and in the same area. Maybe we can hook up and go together. Know any places that have longer ranges? 340 defense goes out to 300 yards I think. Peacemaker has 600 and 1000 yards but you have to qualify to use it and its only open on Wednesdays I think.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested as well and in the same area. Maybe we can hook up and go together. Know any places that have longer ranges? 340 defense goes out to 300 yards I think. Peacemaker has 600 and 1000 yards but you have to qualify to use it and its only open on Wednesdays I think.
View Quote
I didn't realize 340 Defense went out to 300, figured it'd happen at Peacemaker or a private/semi-private range.  Checked out the class in the link below, and it looks interesting.  Only downside is it doesn't happen til March.  Also looked at BangSteel down in Wytheville, but that being a 2 day class (Friday/Saturday), it would require a bit more scheduling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Big Gulp and Foxx, what exactly are you interested in learning? Do you have any experience shooting at distance?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Big Gulp and Foxx, what exactly are you interested in learning? Do you have any experience shooting at distance?
View Quote
I've never shot past 200 yards on a bench. Like BG, I have read up and watched videos on the subject and even done ballistic calculations but I have no real world experience when it comes to dealing with windage, mirages, and terrain.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagging as I'm also interested
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These guys know what's up: https://www.paramounttactical.com/long-range
View Quote
$395 for a 9-5 class where only 4 hours of it is actual shooting?  Hmm I think I'll pass on that
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$395 for a 9-5 class where only 4 hours of it is actual shooting?  Hmm I think I'll pass on that
View Quote
If you don't spend the time learning the math and theories behind shooting long distance then you gain little with the range time. No use in wasting the ammo if you don't know how to set your scope up and do the calculations. It blows my mind that for longer distances taking the rotation of earth into account is necessary for accuracy. The changing wind directions between you and your target, sometimes with respect to the terrain, will blow your bullet in various directions as it travels and you can watch that as it goes. Even things like consistently putting pressure on the rifle and bipod loading and gun setup are important. So I would expect there to be more class time then shooting. Probably hard to get everything you need to be taught in just one day. I would expect that on the first day at the range you would find out your rifle may not be setup optimally and needs to be taken home and adjusted or accessories you bought and put on the rifle aren't going to work like you hoped and you need to swap stuff out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Short answer:
I want to learn how to make corrections at distance (400+ yards).  I've shot out to 300 a few times, but the vast majority of my rifle shooting has been at 100.

Long answer:
I've been shooting for 25+ years (not counting BB guns), and I've always been fascinated by accuracy.  Dad instilled proper shooting fundamentals from the start, so making tiny groups at 100 yards was boringly simple.  Last year at the NRA WSC, I got a taste of long range (~600+  yards) during the PRS stage.  At that moment, I learned that breath control, trigger control, match ammo, and top quality gear don't mean squat when you don't know what to do when you hit 4 feet left of target 1 round, then 2 feet right of target the next :)

I've done a LOT of reading since then, but nothing beats experience.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribing to this thread as I've got an M40A5 I need to learn how to use.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The WSC is a fun match, I was unable to attend this year since I was in OH for the PRS match. In regards to your frustration at the 600 yard targets....it was probably a combo of Peacemaker wind which can be notoriously difficult as well as ammo/rifle inconsistencies.

I sent an email to one of you, I cant remember who, it has been a long day.

I am willing to guide a few of you in the right direction. My name is not Preston or Vibbert but I do have a strong understanding of this discipline. Email me if interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you don't spend the time learning the math and theories behind shooting long distance then you gain little with the range time. No use in wasting the ammo if you don't know how to set your scope up and do the calculations. It blows my mind that for longer distances taking the rotation of earth into account is necessary for accuracy. The changing wind directions between you and your target, sometimes with respect to the terrain, will blow your bullet in various directions as it travels and you can watch that as it goes. Even things like consistently putting pressure on the rifle and bipod loading and gun setup are important. So I would expect there to be more class time then shooting. Probably hard to get everything you need to be taught in just one day. I would expect that on the first day at the range you would find out your rifle may not be setup optimally and needs to be taken home and adjusted or accessories you bought and put on the rifle aren't going to work like you hoped and you need to swap stuff out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
OK.

I'm sure they'll be okay as that class has been full every time they've given it, especially after the move from Peacekmaker down to the new private range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK.

I'm sure they'll be okay as that class has been full every time they've given it, especially after the move from Peacekmaker down to the new private range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

Good for them.  I'm still not going to pay $400 for a 7 hour class
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no experience with them but here's another option: Bang Steel
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These guys know what's up: https://www.paramounttactical.com/long-range
View Quote
That place looks amazing!  Bookmarked.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Can I suggest you check out an Appleseed Clinic first?  Very affordable and some clinics have the opportunity to shoot to 500m/500y...with Iron Sights!  Fantastic fundamentals and VERY affordable.  I've been to a couple.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good for them.  I'm still not going to pay $400 for a 7 hour class
View Quote
OK
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I go out to the Quantico ranges all the time.  We usually shoot 800 and 1,000 on Sunday.  If anyone wants to go, I can sponsor a single person per visit, the hook being recruiting new members for the Quantico shooting club.

P.S.  It's easier than you think shooting this square range stuff when you have no stress.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]
My brother is a combat veteran 8541and 8542 and teaches a class, but’s it’s in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
340 defense require you to shoot a 5 round 1MOA test before you get to use their 300m range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Dang it, I think I had this confused with another thread elsewhere and typed before reading the equipment stuff. Anyhow, pick up Litz' books, great information and good luck in your endeavor's
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I go out to the Quantico ranges all the time.  We usually shoot 800 and 1,000 on Sunday.  If anyone wants to go, I can sponsor a single person per visit, the hook being recruiting new members for the Quantico shooting club.

P.S.  It's easier than you think shooting this square range stuff when you have no stress.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG-5258-239470.jpg
View Quote
http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/membership

"QSC Members may have 3 guests per day for a $10 fee per person."

I shoot at Quantico too and can take guests. Will probably start you on the 300m range before moving to longer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm interested in checking out QSC some time. I meet the requirements to join, but haven't had a chance to get out there yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top