Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 7:13:21 PM EDT
Howdy -

Just recently moved to Virginia, I know I have to register my vehicle here...I heard there is a personal property tax. How much is this tax? I have a 2015 truck that I bought new 2 years ago...What kind of tax am I looking at when I register?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a link to the best way I've seen online to get an idea of how much it will cost.  David

car tax rate
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this tax paid annually?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. Due October 5 each year in PWC.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. Due October 5 each year in PWC.
View Quote
FUCK. VIRGINIA.

Its enough to make me want to move to Maryland.

Is the Personal Property Tax Relief Act statewide?? Like will the state subsidize the first 20k of my vehicles assessment in every county? Or do only certain municipalities do so?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Tax rate varies by county.  Google it
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
In Stafford it is due in June and in December.  It is complete BS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FUCK. VIRGINIA.

Is the Personal Property Tax Relief Act statewide?? Like will the state subsidize the first 20k of my vehicles assessment in every county? Or do only certain municipalities do so?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FUCK. VIRGINIA.

View Quote
Fine. Move to Maryland. The difference in what you pay in state income tax will have you moving back to Virginia most ricky-tick. Not only is the state income tax higher, but Maryland counties impose a "piggyback tax" that is currently 60% of what the state charges. Then you add on the higher real estate taxes, and you'll feel like you're back in NY.

And by the way....in Maryland you have gun laws that will make you puke.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Not just your vehicles.All trailers.boats.campers.4 wheelers.  If it has a title you pay.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FUCK. VIRGINIA.

View Quote
Virginia hates cars. You will get used to it.

Coming from Texas, you are probably aware we Texans can get out of a 29mph or under speeding ticket with Deferred Adjudication, Defensive, Driving etc. Well in Virginia, 20mph over or over 80mph is Reckless Driving, Ouch. So watch your speed, 81mph on a 70mph interstate is Reckless.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Coming from Texas, you are probably aware we Texans can get out of a 29mph or under speeding ticket with Deferred Adjudication, Defensive, Driving etc. Well in Virginia, 20mph over or over 80mph is Reckless Driving, Ouch. So watch your speed, 81mph on a 70mph interstate is Reckless.
View Quote
I think they got rid of the over 80mph thing but the 20mph over is still in effect.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FUCK. VIRGINIA.

View Quote
Yes, it's state-wide.  What you pay also goes down every year as your car becomes less valuable.  

The Personal Property Tax sucks, no doubt.  Probably the single most hated tax in VA.  However, as others have said, other states get your money one way or another... they might not tax your car, but they tax the shit out of your income.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly it's one of the taxes that pisses me off the most. And the DMV is looking to raise registration fee's and other shit because the idiots in charge squandered 13million.

We have to pay it twice a year, and mine on a 2001 Dodge Dakota is like 40-50 bucks twice a year if I remember correctly. The bullshit taxes just keep accumulating and we still have shit services.

Also if you forget to pay, you get hit with an additional 40-50 buck DMV stop notice, and some "administrative fee's". I forgot one year and my bill went from 40-50 to 120 by the time it was all said and done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you been properly introduced to the yearly vehicle inspection? Thats what I hate the most. It can't be scheduled. Its first come first served. And they take hours unless you are the first one in line.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is that a law? I always schedule my inspections. 
View Quote
It is actually law according to every inspection place I've gone to. How are you scheduling inspection? Are you bringing your car in and dropping it off? As far as I know its still done in the order it was brought in. I've see places that people will bring them in the night before and leave them.

Inspection stations (supposedly) aren't allowed to, for example, schedule inspection for 3:30pm and jump in front of anyone waiting for an inspection.

I've even gone to places to have work done on my vehicle and asked them to inspect it while its there and I've been told my vehicle won't enter the line for inspection until after the service work has been done on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
81mph on a 70mph interstate is Reckless.
View Quote

This, misdemeanor offense.  I'm in WV just over the VA/WV border off I-81, and the VA troopers love to sit right at the border and nail drivers as they come flying out of WV.  Easy pickings for them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
That would make sense. I've never seen any place that has more than one inspector/lane around me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
a state is gonna git yer money one way or another. When I had to manage company cars for a former employer, I found that many other states registration fee is a sliding scale based on the age of the vehicle. So it basically ended up the same. At least VA is up front about it. Our California cars averaged 250 dollars a year.
At least I can claim property tax as a deduction on my income taxes. And in most counties we don't have to deal with those stupid county stickers on the windshield anymore.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is actually law according to every inspection place I've gone to. How are you scheduling inspection? Are you bringing your car in and dropping it off? As far as I know its still done in the order it was brought in. I've see places that people will bring them in the night before and leave them.

Inspection stations (supposedly) aren't allowed to, for example, schedule inspection for 3:30pm and jump in front of anyone waiting for an inspection.

I've even gone to places to have work done on my vehicle and asked them to inspect it while its there and I've been told my vehicle won't enter the line for inspection until after the service work has been done on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a law? I always schedule my inspections. 

In theory, you're suppose to wait in line, but if its in for service, a shop can inspect it while it's there..

Middle of the month, middle of the week, many inspection stations you can drive right up.  End of the month, before holidays, and the beginning of the month for people thqt missed end of the month.

PSA:  if you carry and don't want to attract the man, up to date license stickers, state inspection sticker, lights all working, tint not too dark, reasonable exhaust, lowers risk of getting stopped.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
You could be like 40% of the folks in my neighborhood; Buy your Dad (Who lives in Ohio) a Yukon, title and plate it in Ohio, and drive it in Virginia.

EDIT: I don't condone this.  I don't do this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#24]
My VA car insurance is about 30 percent of what I paid in MD.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think they got rid of the over 80mph thing but the 20mph over is still in effect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Defeated in the State Legislature.

80 MPH OR 20 MPH over posted.

It is also a misdemeanor (though stil a low one).

You MUST appear in court and if you do not have an attorney sign a waiver.

And we have an income tax also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top