Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 9:49:40 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am reading through VDGIF's website, trying to understand what a kill permit for deer actually allows you to do. Is it the same as the DCAP program? Does it allow deer hunting year round for that property? If so, what forms of tackle are allowed? Obviously it wouldn't allow you to use firearm in a county that doesn't allow it, but if it does (Loudoun, etc), could you use firearm any time?

I hunt some properties and the landowners have offered to get a kill permit (said they've gotten them before) but I don't know what it would do. Antlerless deer are effectively unlimited anyway with bonus tags.

Thanks!
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
DCAP is simply a more liberal allowance and tactics to harvest only anterless deer during the hunting season.  The objective is optimizing the deer herd.

Kill permits, are for landowners that can demonstrate property damage and maybe used outside of the hunting season .  It's not hunting, so you may want to rethink the firearms restrictions
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DCAP is simply a more liberal allowance and tactics to harvest only anterless deer during the hunting season.  The objective is optimizing the deer herd.

Kill permits, are for landowners that can demonstrate property damage and maybe used outside of the hunting season .  It's not hunting, so you may want to rethink the firearms restrictions
View Quote
Guns and Fairfax County are not a good combination.

"By police permit" is the phrase they used to use.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, I'm well familiar with all that, and the patchwork of ordinances that makes it so that you can only use buck shot if you manage to get such a permit. No caliber larger than .22, no slugs, can only be on the south side of Fairfax.

My reason for mentioning Fairfax was just that it has such lengthy seasons.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ahah... this make sense, I see where you are going! 

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quite a few golf courses and parks in Fairfax are bullet ridden from the police shooting deer.  You can too

ETA: No, you don't need the police's permission......we aren't dainty Britts sovereign to the kingsmen
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quite a few golf courses and parks in Fairfax are bullet ridden from the police shooting deer.  You can too

ETA: No, you don't need the police's permission......we aren't dainty Britts sovereign to the kingsmen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes if you have large property (5-10 ac).

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/wildlife/managed-hunts.htm

Bow hunting is what you seek,  There are whitetail management programs, and even possibilities in FFX on smaller private property.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, all, for the input! 

I have harvested numerous deer from small private land in Fairfax, including 5 from my friend's 1/4 acre lot. That's not the question  ;)

I just wanted to know what difference a kill permit would make.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes if you have large property (5-10 ac).

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/wildlife/managed-hunts.htm

Bow hunting is what you seek,  There are whitetail management programs, and even possibilities in FFX on smaller private property.
View Quote
Again, this not hunting, it's pest eradication.  The acreage you mention is for target shooting.  Smaller plots, especially if urban, are less likely to be granted kill permits.  You have a right to defend or eradicate just use common sense (like ensure your bullet doesn't leave the property).  Actually, with suppressors on the rise many land owners prefer this over an arrow.  Tracking a  wounded deer in a subdivision in lib-land is asking for problems.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Again, this not hunting, it's pest eradication.  The acreage you mention is for target shooting.  Smaller plots, especially if urban, are less likely to be granted kill permits.  You have a right to defend or eradicate just use common sense (like ensure your bullet doesn't leave the property).  Actually, with suppressors on the rise many land owners prefer this over an arrow.  Tracking a  wounded deer in a subdivision in lib-land is asking for problems.
View Quote
Ok, so there's a two acre property that I bow hunt that is essentially tucked in the Difficult Run stream valley. Heavily wooded, but definitely surrounded by houses. The houses are all up high, the deer and the shots are down in the valley. Farthest shot would be 60 yards into the earth. Are you saying that it would be legal-- since it's not hunting-- to use firearm? Obviously something that wouldn't attract attentio like suppressed subsonic 300BLK, but this wouldn't be against country firearm discharge laws?

I'm not asking you to be a lawyer, nor am I going to start doing so based on any responses here, BUT, if I should be researching this more thoroughly than I'd love to know. I've sat in my ground blind a million times there watching fat deer walk by just out of bow range thinking, gosh, that deer would be deader than shit if I had a gun. I've gotten plenty there that did come within bow range, but you know what I mean. This family has gotten kill permits in the past. Their horticultural knowledge is amazing.

I did a search for Fairfax County firearm discharge rules and all I can find is the stuff related to hunting.

Thanks!
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks, all, for the input! 

I have harvested numerous deer from small private land in Fairfax, including 5 from my friend's 1/4 acre lot. That's not the question  ;)

I just wanted to know what difference a kill permit would make.

-Stooxie
View Quote
An Uncle had one many years ago for 100 deer.

His corn field adjacent to NF land did not have much left for at least 20 yards near the NF border.

At least at that time you could pretty much use any hunting method desired including jack lighting.

You should review the exact rules.  They used to be under the Administrative Code.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My neighbor had a kill permit in Leesburg, 10+ acres.  Game warden issued it to him because 1500 saplings he planted were being damaged.  Said he could kill 24/7, only restriction was he couldn't blow them up or poison them.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, so there's a two acre property that I bow hunt that is essentially tucked in the Difficult Run stream valley. Heavily wooded, but definitely surrounded by houses. The houses are all up high, the deer and the shots are down in the valley. Farthest shot would be 60 yards into the earth. Are you saying that it would be legal-- since it's not hunting-- to use firearm? Obviously something that wouldn't attract attentio like suppressed subsonic 300BLK, but this wouldn't be against country firearm discharge laws?

I'm not asking you to be a lawyer, nor am I going to start doing so based on any responses here, BUT, if I should be researching this more thoroughly than I'd love to know. I've sat in my ground blind a million times there watching fat deer walk by just out of bow range thinking, gosh, that deer would be deader than shit if I had a gun. I've gotten plenty there that did come within bow range, but you know what I mean. This family has gotten kill permits in the past. Their horticultural knowledge is amazing.

I did a search for Fairfax County firearm discharge rules and all I can find is the stuff related to hunting.

Thanks!
-Stooxie
View Quote
I don't shoot deer in Fairfax, but know two guys that do with firearms.  Technically you can pop them with a 22lr under a kill permit......some experienced shooters do.   I'm fairly certain Fairfax hasn't addressed all the terms of firearms discharge on private property.  Stuff like defense or property preservation is not something they have standing on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
This is blowing my mind.

I gotta think more about this.

Thanks for the info! 

-Stooxie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top