Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
I saw one earlier this week or last, I can't remember exactly when it was but it was the first time I had ever seen one in this area. Headed to my welding class tonight at 5, and one was just taking off from the airport (I assume) and was headed towards Bedford. Anyone know what's going on with these flying here recently? I would love to go take a few pictures if they are going to be around for a while.

Kinda odd, normally the only thing we occasionally see is a rare appearance of a single Black hawk, or a pair of Chinooks

Only thing I was able to find on Google was complaints from NoVa residents a while ago
Link

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in South Boston but work in Clover at the power plant. Starting last Friday, we have had a pair of what appear to be F-18's come in low and fast out of the east and then bank and head north. This will happen a couple of times a day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw one in Lburg yesterday, I believe around 5:00 as I was leaving work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I see military aircraft of all flavors at the Roanoke airport semi frequently. The National Guard Aviation unit in Richmond will fly to Roanoke and back pretty regular so the pilots and crew chiefs get their minimum hours every month.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm only around intermittently, but I've seen the helos you speak of most often at mid altitude and flying E to W or vice versa and that is the normal mil air traffic.  However, I've seen Ospreys twice
flying along the James River (upriver of L-burg), and also Pave Hawks and all flying in conjunction with the river gorge.  My guess, AFSOCOM randomly frequents the area.  All the branches come and go out of Ft Picket for training exercises and just beyond L-burg are the nearest mtns, so I suspect some correlation to their training schedule.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ospreys showed up today at Clover as well as the F-18's.

The Ospreys came out of the east and were headed west. The F-18's came out of the east and headed west as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a bunch of visual routes (VR) and IRs the military flies through VA and WV.  VR42 and VR83 pass by Clover.  I've got all the regional ones plotted in Google Earth.
http://www.cfinotebook.net/notebook/national-airspace-system/military-training-routes
You can see them on sectionals too, kind of subdued though.  http://vfrmap.com/

VR1722 is a low-level one that passes over the Cola Warrior area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#8]
We have Osprey's, Navy AWACS, and several types of military Helos around Charlottesville Airport (CHO) on a regular basis.

L8r,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen Osprey's in Lynchburg a bunch of times before.

I've also seen them in Rocky Mount; they used to fly over my ex's dad's house who lives on Grassy Hill.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I see them at least once a year, you know where I live.

I think they come here for a little training every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen them multiple times.  They fly over our neighborhood
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top